Permission error on Mac

• Just tried to make a boot SD for the Wetek Hub with USB creator on a Mac. With both a 8 GB and 16 GB microSD I get a 'not enough space' error. Judging by the console output it was some kind of permission error. This is on a 2015 Macbook Pro 15" running MacOS Sierra beta.

Cheers
    Ian

• There are 2 numbers with this text mesage - can you post it here?

And also output of command in console terminal:

Code
    diskutil info /dev/your_sd_card

And did you run it with sudo or you got some error when app was started?

Edited once, last by vpeter (September 8, 2016 at 5:24 PM).

• I think this is the relevant bit of the console output:

Code
    default    07:11:52.433447 +0200    authd    CSSM Exception: -2147411889 CSSMERR_CL_UNKNOWN_TAG
    default    07:11:52.515827 +0200    kernel    SandboxViolation: diskutil(2682) System Policy: deny(1) file-ioctl /dev/rdisk0

default    07:11:52.663291 +0200    kernel    SandboxViolation: diskutil(2683) System Policy: deny(1) file-ioctl /dev/rdisk1

The actual message I see in SD-Creator is 'Not enough space on /dev/disk2 [?? MB < 548.0 MB]'.

Output of diskutil:

I didn't run the app with sudo but was asked for my admin password when opening the app - it's installed in the applications folder if that has any bearing on the issue.

I also notice the SC Creator has two icons in the dock when running ...

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    Ian

• Can you click the icon while keeping Ctrl button pressed to open it?

If this doesn't work (you still get Not enough space on /dev/disk2 [?? MB < 548.0 MB]
    - notice the ??) then please try LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.macOS-test1.dmg with and without Ctrl button pressed.

Holding Ctrl while clicking the icon just brings up the context menu ...

If I then select 'open' I'm asked if I want to run the script. Once open I still get the same 'not enough space' error.

Same with the 'test1' version.

Cheers
    Ian

• The root cause has been identifed (changes in diskutil info output) and will be corrected in the next update to the app. It also looks like macOS sierra has a bad user experience with the app due to the more restrictive enforcement of gatekeeper, but that's a separate issue.

• I think an application should 'just work' without hacking into security-settings...

Agree. The problem is that this app is not from Apple store. And to be there costs money.

Anyway, I'm not familiar much with macOS and can't really give muchadvice what to do.

• Gatekeeper can no longer be disabled from the GUI, as you can read in How to Disable Gatekeeper in macOS Sierra - TekRevue
    Only from the terminal.
    I'm not afraid of some terminal-commands, but I think an application should 'just work' without hacking into security-settings...
    But FYI, even after doing the terminal-command for GateKeeper, the error message still appears.
    (my post seems te be gone, therefor I re-post it)

What I can do is go back to the old terminal-commands, just like before the App existed (works perfectly)

• You can permanently disable gatekeeper using the Terminal command. You can also temporarily disable it by control-clicking (or right-clicking) the app icon and clicking open on the menu that appears. This will ask you to confirm whether you really wanted to open it, etc. as per the older behaviour, which is not so bad - I need to update the release notes on the main website. We are still going to investigate what's required to be a known developer, but confirming that behaviour knocks it down the priority list a little :)

• i do not think Gatekeeper is the problem with macOS Sierra. GateKeeper is for preventing to open an Application. Once the application has been opened (by disabling GK or Ctrl-Click, open) the application should just work fine.
    Hoever, the USB-drive or SD-Card refuses to be written due to Sandbox-Violations, see the messages from Console in the attachment.

• Let me explain how Creator app actually works. It must be started with sudo to get raw access to a device. But when app is started root privileges are dropped back to a user. Only when writing actually starts privileges are raised again. This works on Linux and on old macOS. But on Sierra something is different. Because I don't have access to any sch system it is just a little hard to fix the issue ;)