LibreElec 9.0.1 / Kodi latest, required reboot after many hours idle. (Pi 3b)

• Installed 2 days ago, been very very impressed with Kodi so far on the Pi, astoundingly reliable considering the little machine specifications.

Used it for 8 hours yesterday, no issues.

Got back home tonight and tried playing an episode and it just sat with the spinning dial as if it couldn't access the file, couldn't cancel either. UI seemed locked up.

Note: Ethernet, not wifi, my file server was up and working fine, I could still ping the Pi.

I had a terminal session (SSH) still running and managed to capture a shot of top, something had gone haywire.

Long story short, is this common? Anyone else seen this? Is it a simple fix - a reboot fixed the Pi, however I'd prefer to not have to do periodically. (Especially considering how otherwise quite good it is)

Alternatively, is there a way to reboot the Pi, once every 12 hours, IF the screensaver is active??

EDIT: CRON does work, I'm a fool.

What is the _best_ command to reboot Kodi / LibreElec *cleanly* so that no files or databases are damaged?

Edited once, last by FeFiFoFum (April 3, 2019 at 5:24 AM).

• My RPI's (3b+ and 2) works for days/weeks/months without the need for reboot.

if this keeps happening you can try to kill kodi.bin process (it will restart automaticlly) via SSH.

If after this all works normally my guess would be its some problem with KODI itself (rouge addon would be a good guess) - i made a remote shortcut for this for various needs. (you can check the log file , with/without enabling debug log)

As for you question for scheduled reboot , you can define a cron job for either restarting or killing kodi.bin - but i would not recommend going this way as its not really needed and you should find the cause in KODI itself instead.

• I've installed a plugin called sleepy watchdog, which will reboot hopefully tonight, every night from 4 till 6 am if it's idle for at least 90minutes.

If the problem occurs one more time, I'll find my power adapter (I do have one)

(BTW: Cron jobs don't work under LibreElec :( .... )

• I have also recently updated my system to 9.01 from 8.2.5 and I am seeing something similar. After about 2 days, my Pi 3+ which runs TVHeadend serving the other 3 RPis (mixture of v2, v3 and zero) stops accepting incoming ethernet connections and needs to be rebooted. On its own, on the Rpi3+, both server and client of TVH are still working, and outgoing connections to the NAS for media, recordings and MySQL are working happily. Externally however, I can no longer connect to the Pi3+ server with htsp, http, ftp, SSH, or ping,

Separately I am just now exploring a problem where the TVHeadend will no longer scan my Montage DVB-S adapter. After the upgrade, all of the previous channels were still accessible but gradually channels are becoming unavailable. On a test box, the initial scan comes up with FAIL for all multiplexes.

Edited once, last by dickh (April 1, 2019 at 4:15 PM).

• Unfortunately, the 'sleepy watchdog' plugin doesn't actually work (!!)

In 'test mode' I can get it to reboot my Pi, however when I leave it to try it overnight on it's own with a reasonable correct criteria setup, sadly no luck.

I assume you had no issues previously?

• Cron works for me using the command line. I set it to reboot at 4am this morning and it seems to have re-booted - unfortunately, although TVHeadend is working locally on the box in question, the http configuration interface is not available and also the htsp service is not visible externally. This time however SSH and ping are working fine, so clearly not all IP requests are being disabled... So in my case at least, a scheduled reboot isn't solving the original problem

I'm also still having problems with my Montage adapter though - enabling different drivers has solved the scanning problem but it refuses to recognise any DVB-S2 channels - i.e. most of the HD channels.

This seems a lot of hassle for very little gain so I think I'm just going to roll-back to 8.2.5 until Leia stabilises :(

• What do you mean Cron works for you? What version of LibreElec do you run?

LibreELEC (official): 9.0.1 (RPi2.arm)

LibreELEC-Pi:~ # uname -r

LibreELEC-Pi:~ #

OMG I think I forgot the cron command, I'm new to linux, I've been typing "cron" not "crontab"

Bear with me,...

• Ok so I'm REALLY stupid and I've been using cron rather crontab.

Let's look past that......oops!

What is the _best_ command to reboot Kodi / LibreElec *cleanly* so that no files or databases are damaged?

30 4 * * * shutdown -r now >/dev/null 2>&1

I think this cron line will reboot around 4:30 every day, right?

• Official Post

Ooops, screenshot of the load going haywire!

Svukmz8.jpg

I think your problem is the memory allocation. 82.7% is high. This seems to suggest you have *loads* of addons installed! As LE does not have a swapfile, it is more than likely that LE will crash if it cannot allocate addition memory.