ODROID-N2

• chewitt any idea when we will see a beta for example, a rough estimate or something if you feel like?

Figured LibreELEC will have an image for this beastly machine, so already ordered one N2. There is so much hype... but I really think that the Odroid N2 will become the go to for running Kodi on ARM the way it is meant to run, if LibreELEC manages to cook a nice build. The developers have only good words about the N2, on all the forums.

Here too, but because of some weird dude talking non sense the thread was trashed?

Thanks for all the good work!

Edited 2 times, last by fakemoth (March 31, 2019 at 1:11 PM).

• Official Post

To set expectations on the N2 correctly: the mainline kernel is currently missing essentials like HDMI audio and hardware video decoding (both are active work in progress) and until G12 support reaches parity with existing GX hardware common missing items like 4K/10-bit video, AFBC and HDR won't see development effort. HDR is missing for Linux globally (pending changes from Intel being merged) but I have sub-zero concerns about LE/Kodi support and that topic. Otherwise, we already have the basics of an image working (see below). RIght now it's not much use to anyone without audio but the N2 is fast enough to software decode most 8-bit media that I've played and that's with the kernel still lacking dvfs so the CPUs are clocled to 1.2GHz not 1.8GHz. It runs cool due to the huge passive heatsink that forms part of the casing. The fact that it needs such a huge heatsink proves that some peoples concerns that S922X chips run hot are valid, but HK appear to have thought about that and it's nice to see passive cooling instead of the small heatink and fan arrangements that are being put into "Android box" packaging.

In case anyone is wondering .. S905X2 is also up/running in the same state as S922X:

I'm looking forward to a fun summer of mainline kernels and GBM/V4L2 awesomeness :)

• chewitt

Happy to read about coming Support for Odroid N2 :)

Any idea about probability of 3D MVC Support on Odroid N2? Something on the Roadmap regarding this?

Currently OSMC has almost finished its Support for 3D MVC and as their Vero is also based on AMLogic SoC there might perhaps be a soultion suitable for Odroid N2 or other S905yxz Hardware?

Cheers and my very best regards

• chewitt

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

That's a real shame, since still all the blockbusters are still released on 3D BluRay and all those discs in so many users collections :(

Thank you through, and have a nice day :)

• Test LibreELEC images with KODI-18 for S9xxx

Which will take you to:

https://yadi.sk/d/dhepyyrcterlf/leia-18/kernel_5.x/20190608/amlg12_odroid_n2_s922

Once the mainline project gets merged to LE master some proper nightlies will start. Audio is currently 2.0 (or 7.1 pass-through for AC3/DTS) and hardware decoding is mostly working .. no HEVC yet, and 4k needs further work once 10-bit video support. The other thread is tracking updates.

• bump ... what is the status of the build for this on the N2? I would really like to have a device that I could give to family members other than the NVidia ShieldTV that costs so much that can run direct play of 4k content sans audio needing transcoding of course. loved your build on the Pi 3!

• N2 has been supported in official nightly images for some time now, but G12 devices still have some quirks in overall codec coverage (e.g. the HEVC firmware is missing). In the next couple of weeks work will restart on video things now the kernel V4L2 stateful API has been documented. Changes for API compliance are being made to the hardware video decoder (and firmwares are being revised) and these changes will need to be accomodated in ffmpeg and Kodi.

• LE master branch is still on Linux 5.3 and I'm not sure what state the nightly images are in .. but doesn't sound good. I'm working on a bump to Linux 5.5 but that still has some unresolved issues on older hardware and some weeks to run before I push a PR to GitHub - the amlogic-master branch in my git repo has current changes if you want to self build something. Once that bump goes in nightlies should be in good again; although pending the ffmpeg and Kodi changes needed for hardware decode (work on that hopefully starts next week).

• LE master branch is still on Linux 5.3 and I'm not sure what state the nightly images are in .. but doesn't sound good. I'm working on a bump to Linux 5.5 but that still has some unresolved issues on older hardware and some weeks to run before I push a PR to GitHub - the amlogic-master branch in my git repo has current changes if you want to self build something. Once that bump goes in nightlies should be in good again; although pending the ffmpeg and Kodi changes needed for hardware decode (work on that hopefully starts next week).

Can you tell me a link for right Odroid N2 Version?

Maybe I'm waiting for the 5.5 kernel?