Custom partition size choice from LibreElec installation USB Key

• Hi...

Straight to the point after trying for 2 days and many software...

Why can't we choose custom partition size from installer.
    This is really bad for most of us, because we loose bunch of time trying doing so... and you know it.
    Would be simple for you to put a choice of 512, 1024, 2048 MB for the first partition and the rest of the drive for the storage!

After many research on this i finally opted for the ubuntu live cd.

Tried GParted it and it focked it up.
    Tried Gparted it again and reinstall in a pre partitionned ssd with 1024 and the rest of the drive....

Seriously? Read your own thread and If you judge that what in it is helping us you are leaving on another planet.

Question on SD card partition

Tell us how, in a simple way or do it as a choice at installation time.

:@ A very frustrated user restrain in his own computer by you!

Thank you!

• Official Post

Why can't we choose custom partition size from installer.
    This is really bad for most of us, because we loose bunch of time trying doing so... and you know it.

Perhaps you have a totally different vision on the application that Kodi is. To us it is a home theater application for the masses, not a piece of rocket engineering that requires partition size tweaking to the extreme. To us, having different system partition size options in the LibreELEC installer has no useful purpose. Maybe a more in-depth explanation for this from your end would help?

I'm also still unsure about the whole "bad" part, as well as the "us" part. Which group of people are you trying to represent here?

And no, we "don't know it". Kindly enlighten us.

Would be simple for you to put a choice of 512, 1024, 2048 MB for the first partition and the rest of the drive for the storage!

Right now, LibreELEC is to work on different types of hardware. We try to apply a single piece of source code, because maintaining different versions for different hardware is simply a most inefficient way of doing work. Perhaps you can again reiterate the need for different system size partitions, because other than "bad" I can read no explanations in your opening post.

Tried GParted it and it focked it up.
    Tried Gparted it again and reinstall in a pre partitionned ssd with 1024 and the rest of the drive....

The use of GParted falls outside the scope of LibreELEC. The fact that Gparted fails is unfortunate. Perhaps your hardware is simply failing. The hardware that you also failed to identify here. For all I care you tried to install LibreELEC on a bread toaster.

Seriously? Read your own thread and If you judge that what in it is helping us you are leaving on another planet.

I assume you meant "living on another planet". And what if we were? You are FREE to use our software, nobody is forcing you to use, is there?

A very frustrated user restrain in his own computer by you!

I think you should've taken at least 10 deep breaths before posting such a preposterous piece of text, accusing us of holding people hostage. Making accusations without any clear support is more damaging to yourself than it is to us. A good thing you are a brain doctor though. All damages should be easily fixed.

• Official Post

It would probably be more helpful for you to actually explain what problem you are trying to solve. Why do you think you need a larger partition size?

If you really want to you can just install LE manually.

• Once again you defend your position blindly by attacking and questionning each and every sentences i wrote. Just because you are offended by my frustration and you just can't admit your own failure. PERIOD. You do not explain me and to all why the strict and limited 500 megs part...... A SD Card can be parted... a HD Too.... i see no clear need to preserve it as it is when a lot of people would like it with few choice of a bigger first part from the start.

There is LE9 Remix ain't it... What is it for if we can't get there?

I Know that LibreElec is a fabulous piece of software and that it is the top in its own category. Open source also mean open to explain your own little secrets and directions on how use it to achieve our goal....

So instead of playing the poor offended guy as you do why not tell me how to do it simply please?

• Official Post

If you install default LE you get a 512MB boot partition which is approx 2x. the size needed for our normal image boot files. Nothing wrong with that.

RR needs considerably more space (about 700MB) which is why it's creator uses a 1024MB boot partition size in his install images.

So you all you need to do is install using the RR .img.gz that 5schatten provides.

NB: your KEYBOARD appears to have some caps lock PROBLEMS.

• Once again you defend your position blindly by attacking and questionning each and every sentences i wrote. Just because you are offended by my frustration and you just can't admit your own failure. PERIOD. You do not explain me and to all why the strict and limited 500 megs part...... A SD Card can be parted... a HD Too.... i see no clear need to preserve it as it is when a lot of people would like it with few choice of a bigger first part from the start.

There is LE9 Remix ain't it... What is it for if we can't get there?

I Know that LibreElec is a fabulous piece of software and that it is the top in its own category. Open source also mean open to explain your own little secrets and directions on how use it to achieve our goal....

So instead of playing the poor offended guy as you do why not tell me how to do it simply please?

Well maybe I don't get your point but what exactly is your problem? The standard partition size of 512MB is more than enough for vanilla LE since all addons are stored on a different partition. If you want to use my community build follow the steps as described in the first post of my thread, download my images and install them cleanly and you have nothing else to do. /shrug

Btw. open source means basically the source code is available for everyone. GitHub - LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv: Just enough OS for KODI go and grab the code and do what you like. ?(:/