Implementing xpadneo drivers for future releases ?

• Hello Folks

First of all: xpadneo is the device driver for the Xbox One S Gamepad (with Bluetooth builtin) (But only for bluetooth connection - on USB connection directly xpad driver is still needed).

Now while Kodi / Libreelec supporting retro Gaming and the Xbox One Gamepads has a wide range of users - I think it would be REALLY great to get the bluetooth connection also working :)

Source code: xpadneo Linux Drivers

I am also available for pretesting and debugging (got one Xbox One S Gamepad) - But I only need prebuild images for testing

On current LE 9.0 (fresh setup):

Xbox One S Gamepad working only with USB connection

on Bluetooth: Gamepad connects over internal Rpi3 BT chip and also stays connected but Kodi / LE doesnt get any keypresses

On "btmon" keypresses will be recognized

On RetroPie (same Rpi3 hardware) the Gamepad works already without any issues over bluetooth - So I think its only about to implement xpadneo drivers :)

Have a nice day!

EDIT: Experienced in Linux - but I am not on developer side of things (no help needed on debugging / pretest purposes) ;)

• Hello guys,
    First at all, I love LibreELEC, best mmc ever, thank you very much!
    I tried to reply back soon but looked some issue on registration so I'm not sure if xpadneo support was already addressed.

If not, I wrote this recipe to get it working.

At your PC

As root install compilation tools needed

apt install gcc make git unzip wget xz-utils wget bash bc gcc sed patch patchutils tar bzip2 gzip perl gawk gperf zip unzip diffutils lzop libc6-dev libncurses5-dev libjson-perl

Clone repo

git clone https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv.git

cd LibreELEC.tv/

Create a new package

mkdir packages/linux-drivers/xpadneo

vi packages/linux-drivers/xpadneo/package.mk

Build package
    PROJECT=RPi DEVICE=RPi2 ARCH=arm scripts/build xpadneo

If all goes well, new module should be there, you need to match running image with kernel version.

/sbin/modinfo build.LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-9.1-devel/xpadneo-master/hid-xpadneo/src/hid-xpadneo.ko

Quote from modinfo output

vermagic: 5.0.13 SMP mod_unload ARMv7 p2v8

#0507, 07-May-2019: RPi / RPi2 -- Release post (New 5.0.13 kernel; drop omxplayer)

Copy module

scp build.LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-9.1-devel/xpadneo-master/hid-xpadneo/src/hid-xpadneo.ko root@PI:/storage/.config/

At your MMC

Disable conflicting bt options

vi /storage/.config/modprobe.d/xpadneo.conf

Code
    options bluetooth disable_ertm=y

Nasty hardcore to make it "permanent"

vi /storage/.config/autostart.sh

Code
    (
    cp -v /storage/.config/hid-xpadneo.ko /lib/modules/5.0.13/kernel/drivers/hid/
    depmod
    ) &

chmod 755 /storage/.config/autostart.sh

Add udev rule

vi /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/99-xpadneo.rules

Code
    ACTION=="bind", KERNEL=="0005:045E:02FD.*|0005:045E:02E0.*", SUBSYSTEM=="hid", DRIVER=="microsoft", \
    RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo $kernel > /sys/bus/hid/drivers/microsoft/unbind; echo $kernel > /sys/bus/hid/drivers/xpadneo/bind'"

Reboot to confirm that all works as expected and that should be all.
    Keep press X button few seconds until it starts to blink and try pair it, probably you will need to remap keys, so keep a keyboard close.

Hope you find it useful.
    Andres.-

Edited once, last by basilean: UPDATE: I follow it today step by step and needed to comment this line: # PKG_SHA256="6626c55eeb13a0608a68209f7da29efb11a841aa443bab4d4bef5db8dc04d33d" To avoid an endless loop, naturally package changed and validation fails. Instead to update with new hash I left it out with idea to make recipe time proof (for now). Having a decent machine, downloading and compilation will take more than an hour, so be patient. (August 4, 2019 at 1:26 AM).

• Hey, sorry for late answer - but i forgot this topic :/

Thanks for your work - really appreciate it :)

But I cant test it right now (much network thinks to do...) - But I will test it for sure and then I will post it here

• Hey man, I repeated process today, I just needed to comment SHA256 line and it worked like a champ. Original post updated.

Forgot to tell you, also remember to update autostart.sh to new kernel modules location, IE:

cat /storage/.config/autostart.sh

(

cp -v /storage/.config/hid-xpadneo.ko /lib/modules/5.2.0/kernel/drivers/hid/

depmod

) &

Edited once, last by basilean (August 4, 2019 at 1:43 AM).

• Hi,

could anyone provide the driver package vor libreelec 9 and a short howto to implement it manually?

sadly i cant get it to run with the manual provided by basilean, since i have no linux on hand to prepare the package

EDIT: basilean: i spent about 5h to figure it out somehow now.

but beeing on 9.2, the kernel on RPi4 is 4.19.76.

how do i change this in the module AFTER building it?

Edited once, last by Speadge (November 13, 2019 at 12:32 AM).

• Hi, basilean, your workaround worked perfectly to me!

Thank you, very much!

I just made a little change on the autostart.sh file:

Code
    (
    cp -v /storage/.config/hid-xpadneo.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/hid/
    depmod
    ) &

This way, the driver is automatically copied to the right kernel version.

• Hi guys,

I need your help - coming from the "Windows world", I'm a Linux NOOB, so please have mercy with me :)

Using a RaspberryPi with "Buster" as my Linux platform, I've followed exactly the step-by-step instructions in post #4 , but unfortunately, after having entered "PROJECT=RPi DEVICE=RPi2 ARCH=arm scripts/build xpadneo" for building the package, I waited until the prompt appeared in the end again, however, I didn't get a file named "hid-xpadneo.ko" .

I can see that the last text in the terminal program says the following:

"NOTE: if in doubt, on Unix-ish system use './config'.

FAILURE: scripts/build openssl:host during configure_host (package.mk)

**************** FAILED COMMAND ******************

./Configure $PKG_CONFIGURE_OPTS_HOST $PKG_CONFIGURE_OPTS_SHARED linux-${MACHINE_HARDWARE_NAME} $CFLAGS $LDFLAGS

${SCRIPTS}/build "${p}" "${PARENT_PKG}"

************************************************************"

I apologize that I don't know how I can produce a log file giving more informations what went wrong ...

I'm totally clueless how to solve these problems. Could you please help me?

I'm thankful for any hint!

• working (only build tested) package.mk for current LE master