[SOLVED W/PATCHES] Fan support for RK3399 rockpro64

• [EDIT: PATCHES TO FIX THIS ARE BELOW]

Hello,

Just burned libreelec-rk3399.arm-9.0-nightly-20190201-974f4cb-rockpro64.img.gz

And it's perfect.

I just can't get my 2-pin PWM fan enabled.

ayufan's debian had a sys class object 'hwmon0' which I could echo '255' into and start the fan, but no such device tree object has been initialized in this build.

I don't have the appropriate cables to re-wire my fan from being a 2-pin molex fan header in order to stick it into the GPIO header.

Can someone add hwmon0 or any possible way to control PWM fan on the 2-pin fan header to the image?

I wouldn't even mind building my own image if I have to, but I need to be shown how that works, I guess.

Edited once, last by fosf0r (February 12, 2019 at 2:35 PM).

• Ok, I even setup the build system and compiled my own working image from scratch.

But I am having a really hard time getting a pwm-fan entry to work; I think I am not doing the syntax right.

Can someone provide a diff to rk3399-rockpro64.dts that sets up pwm-fan properly ?

I thought it would just be like:

Code
        fan0: pwm-fan {
            compatible = "pwm-fan";
            cooling-min-state = <0>;
            cooling-max-state = <3>;
            #cooling-cells = <2>;
            pwms = <&pwm1 0 10000 0>;
            cooling-levels = <0 102 170 230>;
        };

But I get syntax errors while parsing the tree, when it tries to compile it to dtb.

• I'm no device tree expert but...

I've been playing with the Temps and Fan control on my RK3399 ODROID N1, here is what I have extra in the .dts

You will need a patch like linux-0009-pwn-fan-enable-rk339-rockpro64.patch and save into this directory:

http://LibreELEC.tv/projects/Rockchip/patches/linux/rockchip-4.4/

hastebin

I also changed the Kernel config:

http://LibreELEC.tv/projects/Rockchip/devices/RK3399/linux/rockchip-4.4/linux.aarch64.conf

Change the Thermal section to:

hastebin

This also has to be enabled:

Code
    # CONFIG_PMBUS is not set
    CONFIG_SENSORS_PWM_FAN=y
    # CONFIG_SENSORS_SHT15 is not set

Issues I'm facing is the Fan run's 24/7 even with extra Hardkernel device tree trip points & cooling maps in the rk3399.dtsi

I do get an nice cool SoC tho idling at 32 C

More research & tweaking needs to be done.

Other info for reference:

rockchip-thermal.txt

RK_VIRTUAL_THERMAL

is needed in the Kernel config if you do NOT have a TSADC (rk3399's do have a TSADC)

https://github.com/rockchip-linux/kernel/blob/release-4.4/drivers/thermal/kconfig#l215

• Thanks for your help, I got it working.

Mainly I was missing: CONFIG_SENSORS_PWM_FAN=y

Then I also had to patch pwm-fan.c because it was unable to compile.

I downloaded the patched pwm-fan.c from this:

UPSTREAM: hwmon: pwm-fan: Use pwm_get_args() where appropriate · ayufan-rock64/linux-kernel@356102c · GitHub

Then I diff'd it against the one included with LibreELEC and made a .patch and that made it compile + work properly.

I will be making some patches to submit soon.

• Ah yes that pwm-get_args patch - forgot I had that one as well - already.

HINT: if you put .patch after the commit Hash - Github with auto generate a patch for you... for quick testing.

eg from the above link....

356102c69b4ec19058847147f790cac0b3406fd9.patch

Also works for GitHub Pull Requests containing multiple commits...

eg:

3288.patch

Managed finally to get the Trip points & Cooling back into the actual N1 device tree and successfully compiling now.

There is this interesting thread:

Eliminating the crazy (fan) chirp

And you can play around with the Fan with this patch:

hastebin

I'm also testing Overclocking a RK3399 N1:

Exploring CPU Voltage & undervolting

hastebin

• At full load, my system runs at 101 F / roughly 38.3 C

n i c e

Here are the necessary 4 things get pwm-fan for rk3399-rockpro64.

EDIT: You have to have already setup the build system per the wiki:

Compile [LibreELEC.wiki]

These edits are to be done to your build system (not from within LibreELEC).

(A)

1. nano ~/LibreELEC.tv/projects/Rockchip/devices/RK3399/linux/rockchip-4.4/linux.aarch64.conf
    2. Add this line: CONFIG_SENSORS_PWM_FAN=y

(B)

Create file: ~/LibreELEC.tv/projects/Rockchip/patches/linux/rockchip-4.4/linux-8000-rockpro64-pwm-fan.patch

(C)

Create file: ~/LibreELEC.tv/projects/Rockchip/patches/linux/rockchip-4.4/linux-8001-rockpro64-fan0.patch

(D)

Now you have to activate the fan.

I didn't use thermal maps in the DTS (do it yourself) or anything smart/automated, because I just wanted my fan running 100% of the time, so I do the following in LibreELEC's autostart.sh :

Code
    echo 255 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1

Edited 3 times, last by fosf0r: (Setup cooling-levels to be real PWM duty cycles, 0%, 50%, 75%, 100% (March 4, 2019 at 5:30 PM).

• Hi fosf0r

"(A)

1. nano ~ / LibreELEC.tv / projeler / Rockchip / cihazlar / RK3399 / linux / rockchip-4.4 / linux.aarch64.conf [/ tt] "

I am getting such an error: [ Directory '/storage/http://LibreELEC.tv/projects/Rockchip/devices/RK3399/linux/rockchip-4.4' does not exist ]

At full load, my system runs at 101 F / roughly 38.3 C

n i c e

Here are the necessary 4 things get pwm-fan for rk3399-rockpro64.

(A)

1. [tt]nano ~/LibreELEC.tv/projects/Rockchip/devices/RK3399/linux/rockchip-4.4/linux.aarch64.conf
    2. Add this line: CONFIG_SENSORS_PWM_FAN=y
  • So sorry, I wasn't very clear.

The fixes have to be done to the build system outside of LibreELEC (not within LibreELEC), which you can setup by following the guide on the wiki:
    Compile [LibreELEC.wiki]

Once you have "~/LibreELEC.tv" folder on your build system, then you will make the changes above.

• I did it with SSH Console and got this error.

My 10-day experience in Linux is not enough to make these arrangements. (I haven't used Linux before)

I am trying to understand English writings with google translate.

Result: I'll wait for a compilation of fan running.

Thanks for your answer and your help.

• Yes, building LibreELEC is an "intermediate" task.

It is not easy when you are still new to Linux.

I am new to GitHub, and new to contributing patches, so I don't know how to submit patches yet, but I will learn soon.

I will eventually try to submit the patch, but I need to clean it up and integrate it with LibreELEC's existing patches.

( I'm pretty sure that I have to integrate the DTS bits directly into http://LibreELEC.tv/projects/Rockchip/patches/linux/rockchip-4.4/linux-0005-dts.patch )

I'll update this thread with the results if I am able to get the patch submitted.

• Hello fosf0r, thank you for the patches you posted. I am having difficulty with my build after adding them. I get the following error when I attempt to run the make image command:

Code
    APPLY PATCH (project - rockchip-4.4)      projects/Rockchip/patches/linux/rockchip-4.4/linux-8000-rockpro64-pwm-fan.patch
    patching file drivers/hwmon/pwm-fan.c
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 40.
    Hunk #2 FAILED at 215.
    Hunk #3 FAILED at 233.
    Hunk #4 FAILED at 303.
    4 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/hwmon/pwm-fan.c.rej
    FAILURE: scripts/build linux:host has failed!
    [063/247] [FAIL] build   linux:host

I have attached the full stderr and stdout logs for the failed thread referenced in my build error for further information.

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

• Oh, is it at a different branch now?

I was using 9.0-devel, now I see yours says 9.1-devel.

Either, build using:

Release 9.0.0: Merge pull request #3280 from MilhouseVH/le90_settings_pr120 · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

Or, someone has to look at pwm-fan.c vs the diff and see why it's not applying (maybe someone upstreamed the fix already and my patch is now redundant?)

It will be a while before I have a chance to rebuild my ELEC kit so I'm not going to be able to fix that patch myself yet.

• Ok, I was able to get to it faster than I thought.

I cloned 9.1-dev, then added the two patch files, and it worked without any changes.

Perhaps your patch files contain extra characters or linefeed/carriage return symbols from when you copied it.

I have attached the patches as actual files.

But this board wouldn't let me keep the extension as .patch, so you probably should rename these to .patch

( I was able to build the entire image, but I can't test it at all yet. I presume it works, don't see why it wouldn't. )

linux-8000-pwm-fan.txt

linux-8001-dts-pwm.txt

• how do I install this patch, can you help?

• Until the patch is upstreamed, you will have to make your own build system and add it.

Read all of this before beginning:

https://forum.libreelec.tv

1) Install Ubuntu 16.04.x (LTS) server

Do everything from here on out as non-root.

2) sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

3) sudo apt install gcc make git unzip wget xz-utils

4) Clone the LibreELEC github:

Code
    cd ~
    git clone https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv.git
    cd ~/LibreELEC.tv

5) Build the whole system once, without my patches, to make sure your build system is working:

Code
    PROJECT=Rockchip DEVICE=RK3399 ARCH=arm UBOOT_SYSTEM=rockpro64 make image

6) Download and copy the two patch files into ~/LibreELEC.tv/projects/Rockchip/patches/linux/rockchip-4.4/

* linux-8000-pwm-fan.txt

* linux-8001-dts-pwm.txt

7) Build it again now that the patch files are in:

Code
    PROJECT=Rockchip DEVICE=RK3399 ARCH=arm UBOOT_SYSTEM=rockpro64 scripts/clean linux
    PROJECT=Rockchip DEVICE=RK3399 ARCH=arm UBOOT_SYSTEM=rockpro64 make image