LE 8.95.003 frozen on RPI3

• Hi,

My LE 8.95.003 is freeking quite often (allmost each day, the first time I am trying to access) on my Rpi 3 ==> only solution is removing power supply with the risk to corrupt SD card

the rpi is replying to ping... but not to ssh or samba... and if I look on tv side, the display is frozen...

I am not doing very special things... just running LE and some docker containers (transmission and Plex server)

Any idea where it's coming from ?

• ...the next step is activating log level 1 and reading kodi.log for errors.

In an attempt to track down this freezing problem, I modified my /storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml file to enable debug logging.

Code
    <advancedsettings>
    <loglevel>1</loglevel>
    <cache>
    <memorysize>73400320</memorysize>
    <readfactor>20</readfactor>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    </cache>
    </advancedsettings>

Today my stream of a television program stopped at about 4 minutes, 50 seconds from the start. I couldn't use the Yatse remote app on my tablet computer to do anything with LibreElec. The keyboard attached to Raspberry Pi USB port also did not work. The only way I could revive LibreElec was to remove DC power from the unit. When I plugged the Raspberry Pi's power supply back in, LibreElec booted as expected.

Then I went to the desktop computer on my local area network to open the /storage/.kodi/temp directory on LibreElec. I found the new kodi.log file there but a crash log was apparently not created.

Next, in LibreElec, I went to Settings > LibreElec > System > Submit Log > Upload Latest Kodi crash log. That file pasted successfully and what little there is can be found at http://ix.io/1zma.

Then I tried to upload the latest full Kodi.log suite created since the power-cycle reboot. That failed three times with the error message, Failed to Paste Logs, Try Again. (It might be that a 4.6 MB log is too large.)

Finally I rebooted LibreElec and once again tried Settings > LibreElec > System > Submit Log > Upload Latest Kodi log. This time it was successful. You can see that log here: http://ix.io/1zme.

I restarted the television program I was watching and it finished without further interuption.

Can you see anything in the logs that might lead to freezing or the inability to create a crash log?

System Information

Internet Source: Frontier Communication DSL line through a Netgear D2200D gateway. The LibreElec is fed from a port on the gateway over powerline network using a pair of TP-Link 200 MBps modems.

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, Micro-SD Card - 32 GB

LibreElec Version 8.95.003 9.0

• It appeared that I was having the same problem as kevtuning. He didn't step up with a log as suggested by Da Flex so I tried to provide one.

Shall I move my installation up to 9.0.0 now or leave it at 8.95.003 for further diagnostics?

Shall I remove the modified cache settings from my advancedsettings.xml file?

• Can you see anything in the logs that might lead to freezing or the inability to create a crash log?

Yes, your second log file shows read errors at "special://masterprofile". Kodi stores configuration data there, and read errors at this directory can cause crashes. Please check your MicroSD card. There are several diagnostic programs for free out there. Sometimes read errors go hand-in-hand with increasing heat. Correct booting doesn't means much, when it's about broken storage devices.

• Please check your MicroSD card.

I have a SanDisk Ultra 32 GB Class 10 SD card in my Raspberry Pi 3. I removed it from the Raspberry Pi and copied the image to a backup directory on my Linux desktop computer. Then I ran a badblocks read/write test on the SD card.

There were no reported errors and the badblocks.list file is empty.

(Also, for what it's worth, the MD5 check sums for the LibreElec image on the SD card and the image backed up to the Linux machine matched.)

Finally I restored the LibreElec image from backup to the SD Card, placed it in the Raspberry Pi and booted the device. LibreElec 8.95.003 is running again.

• As suggested I have run a series of tests on my Raspberry Pi 3 hardware. The memtester tests showed no errors over 5+ loops (condensed below).

The power supply also passed.

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # vcgencmd get_throttled
    throttled=0x0

My power supply is a Canakit Model DCAR-052A5 that is rated at 5 VDC output at 2.5 amperes. Using a Fluke 8022A multimeter, I measured 5.05 VDC at the Raspberry Pi. That is within the range of 4.75 to 5.25 VDC required by the computer.

It is unlikely that the hardware is a problem. I have been using this configuration since February of 2017 through several iterations of LibreElec (and probably some versions of the earlier OpenElec).

This freezing problem is new to me. I don't recall seeing this behavior until LibreElec version 8.95.003 or perhaps 8.95.002.

I have italicized freezing because it might be a misnomer. On the surface it looks like LibreElec has frozen or locked up. The stream stops. The software is unresponsive to a remote control and to the USB-attached keyboard. Communications with LibreElec is not possible with FTP. On the other hand, I have noticed that the Raspberry Pi's SD Card Activity indicator continues to flash. Something's going on in there.

I see this behavior only during a program stream. It seems that the buffer runs out of program material and playback stops. LibreElec closes its ears to the outside world but is busy doing something. Unfortunately it is too occupied to write a crash log. What changed in this 8.95.xxx series?