Upgrade Recommendation

• Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my S912 box that is presently connected to my old 1080p Samsung TV. Seen lots of comments about the future of AML products so I was thinking along the lines of Intel to try and "future proof" my purchase for both Kodi updates and my TV upgrade to 4K. Comments?

So I was looking at this Celeron 3865U with 4/60GB, and was wondering if this was a good option. Will load it with LE and will only be used for mainly movies and as a PVR using TvH.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

TIA

Greg

• I'm running a similar 3965U box and it works fine (after limiting max cpu c-state to C7S).

Note that i610 supports [email protected] max over HDMI, if it matters to you.

Make sure this thing does have the auto power on bios option, I've seen mini pcs lacking this.

What else - I see it has an active cooling and people in reviews section complain about noise...

• HDMI 1.4 only probably, there is no mention of an LSPCon converter chip which does HDMI 2.0.

• The Intel Chip itself may support may support 4K60, it doesn't mean the motherboard has to support it as well. Go count the number of "normal" Intel M-ATX and ITX motherboards that actually have a HMDi 2.0 solution on it. There are not many.

Most Intel NUCs probably have a HDMI 2.0 port, but your typical cheap AliExpress offer is not likely to offer HDMI 2.0 (yet).

• Yeah, looks like gen7 aliexpress offers generally don't bother with hdmi 2.0 converter chip.

Gen8 boxes are advertized with hdmi 2.0 though. But they are not cheap atm and are falling in intel nuc, zotacs etc gen7 price range with decleared hdmi 2.0 compatibility.

• What do you think of this box . Only has a Intel 600 GPU so no 10bit color, but it is HDMI 2.0A so will support 4K @ 60Hz. Price is a worry thou......

TIA

Greg

• Looks good to me, but you never know until you try :)

Take a look at Chuwi GBox, it's essentially the same but maybe with more quality.

• Only has a Intel 600 GPU so no 10bit color, but it is HDMI 2.0A so will support 4K @ 60Hz

Really how much video content are you going to watch at 4K60 ?

Without 10bit color, with only an eMMC storage solution, you might as well pick the next cheap Android solution. No need for a crippled Windows box there...

• you might as well pick the next cheap Android solution. No need for a crippled Windows box there...

Good point! So what do you recommend, remembering I'm trying to get away from AML?

Edited once, last by gregeeh ().