Raspberry composite output

• Hi.

I've installed LibreElec on a RasPi3B+ to use it as media center.

My screen is a big plasma TV with 1024x768 resolution, but without HDMI inputs. So I use composite input with the Raspberry's mini-jack output.

First problem is that I can't see borders of the screen. It misses about 30px on each edge (see photo below). I tried to edit the screen settings without success.

12012019869.jpg

The second is that there are interferences in audio output. It could be due to my cable but I tried just before the same configuration with Raspbian installed and it was OK.

Is there a way to prevent it by software ?

Thanks for your answers.

• You are "suffering" from the old 'overscan' feature that was implemented during the era of the bug tube television screens some 70 years ago.

You can alter the settings for overscan in the /flash/config.txt file, for while you will need to dive into an SSH session.

Most of the video default settings you can find here.

You could also use the Video Calibration in the Kodi GUI, but that is usually used as a last resort.

About the audio output. Most Raspberry Pi's (if not all) simply have a poor analog audio output signal. Whatever Raspbian does differently, I personally don't know. Alternatively, you could install Raspbian and then install Kodi, if that works better for you.

• The 30px missing all around your image are because your plasma is 'over scanning' (or more accurately simulating it).

There is an option in config.txt to allow you to scale the Pi's output, reducing it in size, to counteract overscan in your display. This may only work with HDMI not composite though.

You can also calibrate within Kodi.

If your TV has component inputs - then an HDMI to component adaptor may also be worth a look to improve picture quality.

• Thanks. I tried to edit the config.txt file but it can't in ssh as if I wasn't root. The only way is to remove the SD card and edit... Is it normal ?

It's not a problem if it wouldn't work for composite but I like to understand...

Finally, sure I'll use a HDMI to Scart or composite converter, video quality will be much better, but waiting for the converter, I'll continue to use it with my jack connection.

• Thanks. I tried to edit the config.txt file but it can't in ssh as if I wasn't root. The only way is to remove the SD card and edit... Is it normal ?

It's not a problem if it wouldn't work for composite but I like to understand...

Finally, sure I'll use a HDMI to Scart or composite converter, video quality will be much better, but waiting for the converter, I'll continue to use it with my jack connection.

You probably need to mount /flash as RW. I think it's RO by default in LibreElec - like most of the LE filesystem?

Details here in the wiki : Raspberry Pi Config.txt [LibreELEC.wiki]

• If you add overscan settings in config.txt you also have to set overscan_scale=1, otherwise the settings don't apply to kodi (they only affect the framebuffer that's shown during boot). While that removes the borders you'll still get a stretched display on 16:9 screens in anamorphic mode which you'll need to compensate for in kodi screen calibration.

So, it's better to use only kodi's screen calibration to set both the corners and the aspect ratio, that's easier to do and also avoids having 2 scaling steps (one from kodi and one from the firmware).

so long,

Hias

• Thank you all for your answers. I managed to set calibration in Kodi's preferences and it's now OK for the screen (I can see everything).

I just did not find the calibration method very clear, an explanation in Kodi could be interesting. But when connecting a mouse, it was much easier ;)

It remains my sound problem, but I think this one is due to my cable, so an HDMI to scart converter will be the solution.

I have deleted Raspbian for installing LibreElec because I found Raspbian very slow and I am skeptical of the fact that it could solve it.

• I'm not 100% about the audio issues. Analog audio out of the RPi isn't great so almost no one uses it. Some time ago audio quality was improved via a firmware update (see this thread here Analogue audio testing - Raspberry Pi Forums) but this seems to have caused higher GPU load and people reported issues with HEVC playback or deinterlacing.

Going the HDMI route isn't easy, if you use HDMI then the analog video output will be disabled.

Probably the easiest and cheapest method will be to use one of the plenty RPi soundcards. Hifiberry, Iqaudio, Justboom, Pimoroni pHAT DAC and several others work out of the box (some need a dtoverlay line added to config.txt) or if you want it cheap get some RPi soundcard with a PCM5122 or PCM5102 from Asia - they should work fine as well and provide a lot better audio quality than the on-board output.

so long,

Hias

• Finally, I found an option in Preferences -> System -> Audio. The output was set on "HDMI". Now on "Analog", there are no more interferences on the output ! :thumbup:

• Hi,

I'm trying to get a Raspberry Pi 2b to run on my cars monitor. I have to use a rca cable though everything I get is some noise on the screen.

When using a hdmi cable on my TV it works fine.

How do I set it to use RCA for output video data?

Thanks

• Without a HDMI cable connected the RPi defaults to analog/composite video and the only thing you need to configure is PAL/NTSC mode via the sdtv_mode option in config.txt.

If you get some noise make sure you use the correct cable (there are several different standards for TRRS-to-RCA cables so double-check you got one that's compatible with the RPi) and that the TRRS plug is fully plugged in on the RPi.

so long,

Hias

• It seems that the jack output of the RPi doesn't meet standards. On my cable for example (mini-jack to RCA) the video is on the red cable. Usually, we have the video output on the yellow cable and sound (left/right) on the red/white.

So, you could try to connect your red or your white RCA cable on your monitor to see if it works better.

• Just a quick update for using under LE 10.X:

add "composite=1" to the kms dtoverlay in distroconfig.txt

Code
    dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,composite=1

set your desired mode in cmdline.txt (on the same line after "quiet"). eg for PAL:

Code

Code
    video=Composite-1:720x576@50ie

or for NTSC:

Code

Code
    video=Composite-1:720x480@60ie

set your tv as composite and audio in config.txt

Code
    enable_tvout=1
    dtparam=audio=on
    audio_pwm_mode=1

So little work to do but at the end it is working like a charm on Raspberry Pi3 over composite cable