[S812] OTT M8S 2G RAM 8G ROM BCM4335 WIFI

• Cheers and thank you so much! I bought an OTT M8s with BMC4335 from Deal Extreme that was constantly crashing and freezing. Because I was fed up with that box, I wanted to make a live usb stick with LibreELEC to boot on my Steam PC, and accidently found this thread in my search results from duckduckgo.

So I flashed the box with TWRP and this firmware and it is running steady for 24 hours.

CEC not working, but my LG TV is notorious for not playing along nicely, and I do not use the TV remote in my setup. Bluetooth does not work for me, WIFI is not working as well. It will enable the WIFI device, but it won't list any access points. I use a powerline adapter anyway, but wanted you to know that the BT and WIFI is not working for me. If you want images of the board I have, I am happy to make some pictures. Remote works nicely, only the menu and volume buttons I had to remap.

I do have minor problems with video playback, but overal the box performs much better. 1080p without any stuttering. Also casting from iOS and my Lumia works well. The only problem, but I do not think it is related to this specific firmware, is that the videoplayback is not calibrated correctly. It will overscan differently from the normal KODI interface.

In the system settings I calibrated the interface to fit my TV, but when playing video the borders of the OSD will be outside the display range of my TV. The video will then show stutter, and then I have to calibrate the video again in the video playback settings. These settings will show the correct overscan, and after closing the stutter is solved, but it will still show incorrect overscan of the OSD. Sometimes it will play correct, and show the correct overscan while playing, other times it won't...I have to pay attention at what resolution the source material is playing I guess. Maybe try another HDMI cable.

Anyhow, this made a useless box very useful again, although I will never buy this box again, certainly not from Deal Extreme. When I told them they did not sell me an original Acemax, and the box did not have the specs it was advertized with they just said, "prove it". Heh. I am saving up for the new Nvidia Shield now.

TL:DR

CEC/Simplink on LGTV, BT and WIFI not working, minor issues with OSD overscan and stutter while playing video. Have a beer on me!

Edited once, last by Angular (January 9, 2017 at 2:12 PM).

• Your image bricked my device before so I have managed to modify your S812 and get it booting for my device, but can someone direct me on how to add the BCM4335 wifi/bt?

• Your image bricked my device before so I have managed to modify your S812 and get it booting for my device, but can someone direct me on how to add the BCM4335 wifi/bt?

You need edit kernel and brcmfmac_sdio-firmware. Here is my kernel and files: s!AgTgVAcQjmx26A_-2DkPb9lczdPN
    [hr]

Can I update Kodi or do I need to flash a new image when Kodi krypton gets an official release? I am not sure if I can.

Dont update kodi, you have to wait for new firmware for M8S that i Will build when kodi relese official version.

Edited once, last by begicj (January 23, 2017 at 8:13 AM).

• Sorry about the newbie questions but here it goes:

I installed the rom on my TicTid M8S and everything seems fine except for the IR remote. Can I use an IR remote? I tried both my Harmony and the original IR and no luck.

1) Is there a way to get the Harmony remote to work via an app or map file? I didn't see it in the Kodi options.
    2) I don't see HDMI as a device for pass through, although it seems to work. Is there anything I need to do to get Dolby Digital, etc?

Thanks!

Edited once, last by Skripo (February 1, 2017 at 6:24 PM).

• Please tell me the magic how you got bcm4335 bt/wifi to work with this kernel and the other files.

From the very little basics I know (mine is compiled working, but correct me if I'm wrong), brcm_patchram_plus is the original android version that works with any firmware added to the folder.

Sorry about the newbie questions but here it goes:

I installed the rom on my TicTid M8S and everything seems fine except for the IR remote. Can I use an IR remote? I tried both my Harmony and the original IR and no luck.

1) Is there a way to get the Harmony remote to work via an app or map file? I didn't see it in the Kodi options.
    2) I don't see HDMI as a device for pass through, although it seems to work. Is there anything I need to do to get Dolby Digital, etc?

Thanks!

The original remote might work if you delete the remote.conf file from /storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps, then install the keymap editor from the kodi repo and select reset defaults. Mine worked after that.

Edited once, last by twizzl (February 1, 2017 at 7:53 PM).

• The original remote might work if you delete the remote.conf file from /storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps, then install the keymap editor from the kodi repo and select reset defaults. Mine worked after that.

I realized I was using the wrong remote! Nevertheless only the directional keys worked so I used the Keymap Editor you recommended and I am that much closer to having perfection.

Any idea about audio pass through or is that in Krypton RC3?

Really looking forward to the next build!

Thanks!

Edited once, last by Skripo (February 1, 2017 at 9:25 PM).

• I realized I was using the wrong remote! Nevertheless only the directional keys worked so I used the Keymap Editor you recommended and I am that much closer to having perfection.

Any idea about audio pass through or is that in Krypton RC3?

Really looking forward to the next build!

Thanks!

If you reset defaults with the keymap editor then all the buttons should work including ok.
    I don't have my device around but I recall passthrough is available, but disabled by default. (Taking a guess at the location here) System settings > Audio, should have a passthrough option. After you found audio, if you go to the bottom and change to expert mode there will be an option to enable AC3/DTS.

• @ twizzl

Thanks for all the help, the system is perfect!!!!

The last thing I need is RC3 to hopefully correct or improve some video stutter. Is there any way I can do this?

Thanks again!

• Firstly, cheers and thanks so much for this... My OTT box has been collecting dust for over a year until I came across this post in my last attempt to revive it.

So far everything seems to work great, except one issue.

When I turn the box on using a remote or via CEC it powers on but does not boot. It just sits there with a blank screen (not even the Amlogic logo shows up).
    However, if I unplug the power and plug it back in it boots perfectly.

Any ideas???

• Thank you for your work It's only works my ENY M8S 3660AP 2GB/8GB with TVHeadend server
    But including KODI beta plays doesn't well How can I
    update it?