can't use tar command

• Hi,

Trying to install this Megatools - command line client for Mega.nz I'm familiar enough with tar command. But I can't seem to do it, my process is, ssh in, cd in to the downloads folder, wget or curl the file, and still didn't work, tar just hangs. I have to Ctrl + C, to have prompt, I've tried everything, piping from wget or curl, I get tar magic error. I even buffered by piping to tac | tac, but that didn't do anything either.

Any pointers? I know I could probably untar on another computer and push it, but why would tar not work?

• LE is using tar from busybox not the full GNU tar binary so there are limitations in what tar options are covered - and that specific archive is using something that isn't supported. If you gunzip the file first then untar is shows "tar: invalid tar magic" when trying to expand the archive. You'll need to download and uncompress the archive somewhere else then move the files over. If you're doing it frequently you can probably copy the GNU tar binary over from another distro (as long as it's compiled for the same CPU/arch things usually work) and use that instead.