Raspberry Pi 3 B+ VS Wetek Play 2 (and other S905 devices)

• Use a HDMI splitter which provides RCA and/or Toslink (optical) SPDIF output, extracted from the HDMI signal. You should be able to get them for about 20-40 bucks.

so long,

Hias

• Great!

But how do I solve my receiver issue, without buying a new one?

My receiver doesn't support HDMI and the Nvidia Shield doesn't have an optical output (spdif).

Your TV has an optical SPDIF cable to your receiver, right? That's my setup, too.

The DTS signal comes (however) to the Shield, will be passed to HDMI (DTS passthrough), HDMI goes to TV, and at last goes optical to the receiver. No need for an adapter.

• Your TV has an optical SPDIF cable to your receiver, right? That's my setup, too.

The DTS signal comes (however) to the Shield, will be passed to HDMI (DTS passthrough), HDMI goes to TV, and at last goes optical to the receiver. No need for an adapter.

Yes, usually that should work. But I havent got it to work on my LG TV with my Wetek Core.

I have an LG EG9100 OLED TV

... or am I doing something wrong?

• Yes, usually that should work. But I havent got it to work on my LG TV with my Wetek Core.

I have an LG EG9100 OLED TV

... or am I doing something wrong?

The Shield should be the replacement of your Wetek Core box. The Shield is, to my knowledge, the best streaming box on the market. Of course you can use both boxes on your TV. Two boxes, two HDMI cables to the TV. The described signal chain will stay untouched (working fine for my Raspi 3B+ setup, I just don't use DTS material).

• Your TV has an optical SPDIF cable to your receiver, right? That's my setup, too.

I have now been trying/troubleshooting for 2-3hours, and I can't get the TV to passthrough DTS.

It seems to work fine with Dolby Digital passthrough, but not DTS.

• Yes, I mean like this setup:

Wetek Core - - > HDMI - - > TV

TV - - > SPDIF - - > RECEIVER

Dolby Digital works fine, but not DTS.

If you still have an optical SPDIF cable at your Wetek Core, plug it off to avoid double transmission (maybe deactivate it on the settings, too). According to the YT video (see above), DTS seems to be a tricky standard. Maybe the Wetek Core can't play it, but the Shield can.

• If you still have an optical SPDIF cable at your Wetek Core, plug it off to avoid double transmission (maybe deactivate it on the settings, too). According to the YT video (see above), DTS seems to be a tricky standard. Maybe the Wetek Core can't play it, but the Shield can.

I did disconnect the spdif from Wetek box. I have never had any problems with dts passthrough when Wetek was directly connected to the receiver through spdif.

What "YT video"?

• If the Kodi settings are the same, then I guess it's a hardware issue. Maybe DTS needs to merge more data into the HDMI stream (it works un-synced on the Shield only), and only a strong SOC like the Shield's Tegra X1 can handle it.

Q1: Is it possible that my TV can only passthrough Dolby Digital?

Q2: If the Wetek Core can passthrough DTS while directly connected to receiver, wouldn't it be able to do that when connected to TV instead? Because it can do that for Dolby Digital.

• Q1: Is it possible that my TV can only passthrough Dolby Digital?

Q2: If the Wetek Core can passthrough DTS while directly connected to receiver, wouldn't it be able to do that when connected to TV instead? Because it can do that for Dolby Digital.

Heavy questions, and I actually don't know.=O

Generally, the TV shouldn't care about what kind of audio data are passed through to the receiver. So, my guess to Q1 is: No.

I belief Q2 is about two processing steps. Step one is decoding A/V material. Your Wetek Core does this step fine, and leads the DTS audio to SPDIF. Step two is merging A/V to create an HDMI stream. I think DTS has more data to merge, compared to Dolby Digital. So, Wetek Core maybe fails here due to less processing speed.

• Heavy questions, and I actually don't know.=O

Generally, the TV shouldn't care about what kind of audio data are passed through to the receiver. So, my guess to Q1 is: No.

I belief Q2 is about two processing steps. Step one is decoding A/V material. Your Wetek Core does this step fine, and leads the DTS audio to SPDIF. Step two is merging A/V to create an HDMI stream. I think DTS has more data to merge, compared to Dolby Digital. So, Wetek Core maybe fails here due to less processing speed.

Ok!

I called LG support and asked then. They told me that the TV should be able to passthrough both, but they are not 100% sure.

I'm waiting a call from them tomorrow when they have looked it up.

• I have now bought the Nvidia Shield. And as stated before I can confirm that DTS is working fine with my setup on the Nvidia Shield.

But I now have another problem...

When I start Netflix from my LG Smart TV app, I get Dolby Digital sound passthrough to my receiver.

However... When I open Netflix on Nvidia Shield and play the exact same video, I don't get Dolby Digital 5.1 ...

Anyone knows why?

• I have now bought the Nvidia Shield. And as stated before I can confirm that DTS is working fine with my setup on the Nvidia Shield.

But I now have another problem...

When I start Netflix from my LG Smart TV app, I get Dolby Digital sound passthrough to my receiver.

However... When I open Netflix on Nvidia Shield and play the exact same video, I don't get Dolby Digital 5.1 ...

Anyone knows why?

Congrats for your DTS setup with the Shield! :)

For Netflix 5.1 your TV may be the weak part, according to this. That Nvidia forum will be the right place for your next questions.

I enjoyed the conversation. Good luck!