Rainbow screen / lightning bolt 8.90.004

• When both my PI's boot (Pi 3 b+ and Pi 3 b running Leia 8.90.004), I get the rainbow screen and when I stream live tv, it sometimes gets choppy and the yellow lightning bolt flashed on top right corner of my screen.

Both Pi's are using 5V 2.5A power supply.

I have read that I could be getting that by running an incompatible OS on my PI's but I did install the PI2/3 version on both.

Any ideas on what could be happening?

Thanks

• When both my PI's boot (Pi 3 b+ and Pi 3 b running Leia 8.90.004), I get the rainbow screen and when I stream live tv, it sometimes gets choppy and the yellow lightning bolt flashed on top right corner of my screen.

Both Pi's are using 5V 2.5A power supply.

I have read that I could be getting that by running an incompatible OS on my PI's but I did install the PI2/3 version on both.

Any ideas on what could be happening?

Thanks

The symptoms you describe indicate insufficient power supply. Are many peripherals connected to you Pis (external hdd, wifi dongle, tv tuner, etc)? If so, try disconnecting some.

• If Your PS really deliveres 2.5A and You don't have anything connected to USB the only option is the cable.

I've thrown away a big number of cheap/cheapish cables that couldn't deliver full power.

• Bought my PI 3 B+ from Canakit on Amazon and after the order I got the following message.

Code
    1. If you see a lightning bolt symbol with a rainbow splash screen upon boot it indicates that you are using an operating system that is NOT compatible with the "B+" model.  It is NOT related to the power supply voltage.
    Code
    2. The "B+" model requires "B+" compatible software to operate (such as NOOBS 2.7.0 or later).  Please ensure you are using a compatible operating system or the board will not boot.

That is why I am asking about the operation system.

I could order other power supply's but after 3 different ones, I'm beginning to believe i'm throwing money away on PSU...

If you guys think what Canakit sent is total BS, let me know and ill try different PSU options...

• Looking at some of the Amazon reviews for the PSU it looks like a number of people have reported similar issues with it. It sounds like you have a dodgy PSU.

As to the software - I don't have sufficient information to comment but alas it does sound like BS. To double check, install the latest Raspbian and see if you get the same result. If you do, then moan to Canakit and Amazon.

I've always used the official PSU from CPC/Farnell, and I've got 3, I've never had a lightning bolt.

• The big rainbow screen appears for a short moment during powerup on all RPis. If you ubigse a too old OS, eg LibreELEC 8.0 or early 8.2 versions, on a RPi3B+ it'll be stuck on that big rainbow screen plus you'll have a lightning bolt in the top right corner.

So, the description is correct, only inaccuracy is that they shouldn't call the RPi3B+ just B+ as there also was a (RPi1) B+ model.

If your 3B+ boots fine into LibreELEC this means the OS is new enough. If you then occasionally see a lightning bolt in the top right corner it means the power supply (and/or power cable) isn't adequate and should be replaced.

After a lot of frustration with PS issues in the very early RPi days I switched to using only the official RPF power supplies a couple of years ago (also bought them from Farnell/RS)- and didn't have any issues at all with them. So that's a clear recommendation from my side.

so long,

Hias

• Ok little update.

Tried a 4th power supply. 5v 2.5a and still same result.

I though perhaps my fan on my case was using too much energy for whatever the reason. Sadly no difference. Still getting rainbow and lightning bolt sometimes on live tv.

I still need to get another sd card to try a different os to test.

In the meantime, is there any way i can check logs on power status which would show what voltage or amp are beeing seen on my pi's?

Thanks again