WiFi AP tether: change SSID/pwd? Hostapd/ DHCP/ nat

• LE uses connman to provide the tethered hotspot. Apart from clarifying that all I can see lots of talk about IPs and a/b/c that doesn't make any sense and doesn't actually ask a question; thus I cannot provide any more answers.

• LE uses connman to provide the tethered hotspot. Apart from clarifying that all I can see lots of talk about IPs and a/b/c that doesn't make any sense and doesn't actually ask a question; thus I cannot provide any more answers.

You provided a partial answer, viz connman for tether. And good enough ,:P

Question: Is there a way to update packages that already are a part of LE, e.g., Connman ( new version 1.34 Aug 2017) ?

The other questions might not make sense if you are not familiar with networking- viz, NAT, iptables, hostapd and DHCP packages that will make up a router install.

Here is some explanation for OSMC, from where I believe LE is derived from:

Unable to route internet traffic from wifi to ethernet ready TV [SOLVED!] - Raspberry Pi - OSMC Forums

So apparently, Connman has built in DHCP, and also DNSproxy (from another reference.) Thus Connman seems like a complete package that can replace DNS/DHCP features from dnsmasq and tether feature from hostapd !

Btw, Connman does not allow change of SSID or the settings will mess up.

Edited 2 times, last by shippy (October 9, 2018 at 12:13 PM).

• Connman's hotspot feature is the equivalent of a mobile phone hotspot (which is exactly what it was designed for) and has similar levels of simple on/off configurability. It is not designed to be an access point replacement and there is zero intent or interest among it's developers to evolve it into something more complex. You can change the SSID name and passphrase in LE settings. It doesn't mess anything up (at least, not in LE). LE does not build connman with the DNS proxy feature. OSMC does build with it.

LE is an embedded distro so you cannot update packages using a package manager (as there isn't one). If you want that kind of shizzle you need to stick to a more conventional distro (OSMC, Armbian, etc.). Current LE alpha releases use connman 1.36 which is the latest release.

• Connman's hotspot feature is the equivalent of a mobile phone hotspot (which is exactly what it was designed for) and has similar levels of simple on/off configurability. It is not designed to be an access point replacement and there is zero intent or interest among it's developers to evolve it into something more complex. You can change the SSID name and passphrase in LE settings. It doesn't mess anything up (at least, not in LE). LE does not build connman with the DNS proxy feature. OSMC does build with it.

LE is an embedded distro so you cannot update packages using a package manager (as there isn't one). If you want that kind of shizzle you need to stick to a more conventional distro (OSMC, Armbian, etc.). Current LE alpha releases use connman 1.36 which is the latest release.

Good to know the update.

Is there a link that can show exactly what LE has built in? For example, is dnsmasq (DHCP+ DNS+ pxe) built in ?

• LibreELEC.tv/package.mk at master · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

^ those are our current build options. The only reason we build without DNS proxy is the Kodi system info screen then shows 127.0.0.1 and we got bored of dealing with users who think their DNS is broken and claim this is the root cause of whatever other issue they're experiencing.

Thanks for the info.

So I suppose some features can be re-enabled via SSH and going into the config files?

Hi,

I know this is old topic. But I am also looking for a solid WiFi hotspot configuration.

In my AML905x box, Wifi works but hotspot is unstable. Clients are disconnected after 3 seconds or so and then reconnects. This continuous re-connection is the only issue I have with Libreelec/Coreelec. Tried to tweak connman without success.

I am developing IPTV solution with Kodi with inroom wifi hotspot for a Hotel.