Install a bin file an run it? I don't think so

• I want to install libreelec on a pc, and it seems I have to download a bin file and run it? Is there an iso somewhere i can use with dd to write to an usb stick? Running a bin file seems a bit not safe...

• To install Libreelec on a pc, you need to go downloads – LibreELEC download the windows installer, Libreelec win 32 installer, run the file, then download the version you want, which in a pc's case would be the Generic version

Using the installer, create the image on a usb stick, this is your installer, you then need to boot this usb stick, it will give you the option of where to install Libreelec, my suggestion, is DO NOT install it to your pc hard drive, install Libreelec to a separate usb, follow on screen instructions, & if all go well, you can set your pc to boot from the new usb, & will then be running Libreelec

• There is no other way, I have to run a file? That is just not going to happen. Why not provide an image to write to a flash drive?

I guess libreelec is not for me. Thanks for the help anyway.

• If you follow what I said, you will be running an image from a flash drive.

There are images for Amlogic & other devices.

I'm curious, why don't you want to run a file? Running the file creates an image, which in turn, writes to another flash drive, the installer flash drive can be wiped & used for somethiing else

• I want to install libreelec on a pc, and it seems I have to download a bin file and run it?

I have no idea where you got that impression, but it simply doesn't work that way.

If you are still interested, you are welcome to ask questions.

BTW: if you are referring to the USB/SD Creator tool, yes, that is an executable .bin file

• From downloads – LibreELEC choose the Linux installer, that downloads a bin file, so you can create a Libreelec installer flash drive from Linux.

I know, the problem is that I don't want to run that bin file... at least not on my pc. That's why I mentioned vm's ;)

It still seems a bit silly to me that an installer is needed to create an installer on a flash drive. Just provide an image and I will write it to a flash drive myself.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

• my suggestion, is DO NOT install it to your pc hard drive, install Libreelec to a separate usb,

Tsss... /shrug

Well, yes, there is the occasional hiccup of accidentally formatting the whole target device, and consequently wiping the Windows installation off the HDD/SSD. But we only ask people THREE times if they know what they are doing. :sleeping:

• You don't need to use the installer if you don't want to. Just download the gzip-ed image from the downloads section and then, as root, write it directly to your USB pendrive, SD card etc - but beware, don't choose the wrong device our you might nuke your harddrive :)

eg (replace /dev/sdh with the device node of your pendrive, SD card, ...)

Code
    zcat LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.90.004.img.gz > /dev/sdh

so long,

Hias

• I am used to arch/debian, and don't trust much outside such well known repo's.

But I guess I can create a vm and run the installer from inside there.

So basically you don't trust this project enough to run an "USB stick" creator binary that is restricted/limited by the user rights of your account but you want to run the distribution on a dedicated system were it has full control over your hardware? :/

Btw you use arch? Hopefully without aur? Anyway since you already found the image... Otherwise I would suggest this Compile [LibreELEC.wiki] so you could inspect/audit the whole code before your compile and install it. /shrug

Edited once, last by 5schatten (September 16, 2018 at 12:13 AM).

• So basically you don't trust this project enough to run an "USB stick" creator binary that is restricted/limited by the user rights of your account but you want to run the distribution on a dedicated system were it has full control over your hardware? :/

Seriously? Take a step back and re-read what you just said.