Early community images for H3, H6 and A64

• Thank you jernej. I can confirm some videos I tested and the calibration test files report being encoded with BT.709 color primaries, transfer characteristics and matrix coefficients in mediainfo. Others that don't indicate BT.709 still display with the wrong range. I'll wait for the fix.

• Someone has already modified the dtb / dts file for the i2s sound on gpio? ;)

I've already decompiled the file ... but this is a new file for me ... so I'm looking for an example ...

I don't have any experience with external I2S codecs, but I can give you few pointers. First you have to make sure that wanted I2S node is enabled. It should be already present in decompiled DT, you just have to change status from "disabled" to "okay" (with quotes). Secondly, you have to define I2S pins (ARM: dts: sun8i-h3: Add pin settings for I2S0. · codekipper/linux-sunxi@b397fd0 · GitHub) and assign pins to I2S node. Thirdly, you have to integrate codec into DT (for example, connect control interface to I2C and create simple soundcard node for audio interface).

Here you have example for uda1380 (driver needs one patch if you also have this codec): DEMO - i2s on H3 with uda1380 for OPi2 · codekipper/linux-sunxi@d1c85a6 · GitHub

• andreabak It turns out that color range and color encoding are pretty easy to implement. Can you test following update:

libreelec-h3.arm-9.1-devel-20190129185238-064c56c.tar

You can see what encoding & range is used for video, if you run "modetest -M sun4i-drm" command during video playback via ssh. Both properties are set by Kodi to values based on video metadata and AFAIK you can't override them.

It seems that driver used BT601 full range transformation till now.

• marcins

Passthrough doesn't work yet, currently only linear PCM (LPCM) works. So if you can't get EDID to show more than 2 channels for LPCM, it won't work (EDID is source of information for driver to know what audio capabilities TV/AVR has).

jernej
    This means my TV support only 2 channels (LPCM) and multichannel Passthrough though HDMI but Passthrough not work in OpenElec..
    Any plans to run Passthrough?

• Hello all! I successfully installed this on my device Orange Pi Win Plus. Thank you!

Tell me please can i install something retrogaming software in Kodi? Addons like Gamestarter.

I install Gamestarer. I try to run it, it hangs on the splash screen and goes back to Kodi.

This is possible?

Thank you advance

• andreabak It turns out that color range and color encoding are pretty easy to implement. Can you test following update:

libreelec-h3.arm-9.1-devel-20190129185238-064c56c.tar

You can see what encoding & range is used for video, if you run "modetest -M sun4i-drm" command during video playback via ssh. Both properties are set by Kodi to values based on video metadata and AFAIK you can't override them.

It seems that driver used BT601 full range transformation till now.

So, I tried the test update and unfortunately the issue remains. Both with movies and test calibration files.

In particular I'm using test files files from here AVS HD 709 Calibration, with the file 2-APL Clipping.mp4, the bars from 16 upwards and 235 downwards should appear flashing, instead they appear completely black and white respectively. I noticed this happens during playback in fullscreen video mode, but when I hit TAB and there's Kodi's UI overlayed on top I can sort of glimpse the correct bars flashing on the background video. Also, I noticed that setting 16-235 output in Kodi's settings flattens contrast in Kodi's UI (and when there's video playing in background too), but in fullscreen mode it looks like the output range is unaffected (the same black/white range with 0-255 or 16-235 setting).

Here's the output from the command modetest -M sun4i-drm.

Display Spoiler

It appears to be always the same, regardless of what video file is playing (both BT.709 encoded or not). Color encoding and range always are

Code
    30 COLOR_ENCODING:
            flags: enum
            enums: ITU-R BT.601 YCbCr=0 ITU-R BT.709 YCbCr=1
            value: 0
    31 COLOR_RANGE:
            flags: enum
            enums: YCbCr limited range=0 YCbCr full range=1
            value: 0

Tell me if there are other things I could try to help debug this issue.

Edit: On the PC monitor I can get the bars 235 downwards to show, the 16 upwards are still pure black. Again, with latest OE build, same exact TV or monitor settings, just swapping SD card, all files display just fine.

Edited once, last by andreabak (January 30, 2019 at 3:21 PM).

• I install Gamestarer. I try to run it, it hangs on the splash screen and goes back to Kodi.

This is possible?

Did you updated to latest version which uses rebuilt addons so they shouldn't crash anymore? If yes then it might be an actual bug in addon. Note that I don't test addons nor fix bugs in them.

andreabak Please test this:

libreelec-h3.arm-9.1-devel-20190130174140-064c56c.tar

Full range is forced here and I think it should work well for monitors, but not TVs.

The issue here I think it's mix up between input range and output range. DRM property description doesn't explain it very well. If this works for you, I'll have a talk about it with other developers to find acceptable solution.

• Did you updated to latest version which uses rebuilt addons so they shouldn't crash anymore? If yes then it might be an actual bug in addon. Note that I don't test addons nor fix bugs in them.

andreabak Please test this:

libreelec-h3.arm-9.1-devel-20190130174140-064c56c.tar

Full range is forced here and I think it should work well for monitors, but not TVs.

The issue here I think it's mix up between input range and output range. DRM property description doesn't explain it very well. If this works for you, I'll have a talk about it with other developers to find acceptable solution.

Thank you for your reply!

I found the problem

/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/retroarch: error while loading shared libraries: libass.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The folder /var/lib has a library libass.so.9 and I found a solution that i can make a simlink libass.so.9 to libass.so.5

But i cant do this because "filesystem is readonly"

Can i put lib in /usr/ib?

• andreabak Can you make some photo or video what it is and what it should be? I played video you referenced, but with that latest test update, it works same regardless DRM or GPU rendering (both HW decoded) or even completely SW decoded and GPU rendered. I can see flashing bars from 16 to 235. That's on PC monitor.

You are right indeed. I tried it on another monitor and the color bars 16-235 are correctly displayed flashing. Both with the test release you linked and with the latest update from here libreelec-h3.arm-9.1-devel-20190118214745-4e7ea9e.tar. Also the UI looks brighter too, so it looks like the whole HDMI output is affected, not only video playback.

In my setup I'm using a TCL TV and a Pioneer AVR, connecting the OrangePi to any of these the resulting image is always wrong. Through the AVR I can't get the 16-235 to show at all, while connected directly to the TV only the 235 downwards are visible (see attached pictures). I've tried all sort of combinations of settings (brightness, contrast, range, gamma, etc.) on all these devices without success. Connecting my laptop the test videos display correctly, and so do they using the latest OE release on the OrangePi.

That makes me think it might be something related to HDMI/EDID maybe?

Is there perhaps a way I can quickly alter display/HDMI/driver output settings from ssh to quickly test possible solutions? Could the OpenELEC build help giving information about HDMI output status or something like that?

• psyapathy Sorry, no time to actually debug that. You can however try to build your own image and your own addon. Use following repository:

GitHub - jernejsk/LibreELEC.tv: Just enough OS for KODI

Command to build OrangePi Win image:

PROJECT=Allwinner ARCH=arm DEVICE=A64 UBOOT_SYSTEM=orangepi_win make image

Command to build addon:

PROJECT=Allwinner ARCH=arm DEVICE=A64 scripts/create_addon <addon name>

andreabak OpenELEC image used kernel which doesn't consider EDID at all. This was one of the pain points. You had to change fex file if your monitor didn't support 1080p. Besides, only 1080p, 720p and few other patched-in resolutions were supported. Here, on mainline kernel, a lot of stuff is based on EDID. Can you post output of following command?

edid-decode /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid

There are some other possible differences. AFAIK, mainline HDMI driver doesn't set correctly metadata like colorimetry, aspect ratio, etc. This might also be the problem.

• jernej Here's the outputs from edid-decode /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid command.

First, the monitor on which the image displays correctly:

Then, the same monitor but connected through a HDMI-to-VGA converter (the image is not correct, blacks 16-above are clipped to pure black, whites 235-below appear correctly):

Here's the output while connected to the Pioneer AVR:

And this while connected directly to the TCL TV: