Raspberry 3B+ HDMI issues

• Hi guys!

Ever since I've replaced Raspberry 3B for a 3B+ I'm having an issue with the HDMI connection being unstable or something.

The symptoms are that during a playback and even during a stand-by screen in the menu the image is momentarily lost. I can also see this on my receiver because it loses the HDMI and codec icons it normally has during playback.

This does not happen on the same install on RPi 3B, happens on a different 3B+ unit and also happens on a clean install without ever installing any addon. I just installed the newest stable version of libreelec and set-up the IP address of the unit and bam, first black flash. Overclock / No overclock gives the same result.

Also, having the RPi in a flirc case I'd think that it would be cool, but it gets really hot at times and it's generally way warmer than 3B used to be...

Does anyone have any idea? Because I'm out, I've tried it all... /shrug

Thakns in advance!

Edited 3 times, last by Dr.Romca (August 23, 2018 at 2:00 PM).

• I'd try a different HDMI cable and see if that improves things. How long is the HDMI cable and do you have an extension? Also double/double check the connections.

Do you get the same issues using another O/S like Raspbian?

The heat sounds like a problem to me. Have you got the correct thermal pad for the B+ on the case? (There is a difference in the size of the B & B+ CPU)

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link

Also the output of dmesg | paste and top -b -n 5 | paste

You can monitor the CPU temp with

watch -n 10 cputemp

Anything over ~60o may indicate a problem. - Try the same without the case.

• So at the end it was a connection problem, I've tried 2 different HDMI cables with no improvement and a third one that I tried by accident hasd worked for 2 weeks without this issue...

I guesss you never know...