Solved - Failed to start Xorg Server - help understanding the reply on another thread which might solve this PLS.

• Hi, I'm having issues which are almost identical to this thread Solved - Failed-to-start-xorg-server

I understand the issue is caused by the LE loading the drivers for the integrated graphics rather than PCI card graphics and the thread suggests a solution by running the command below.

Code
     touch /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/96-nvidia.rules

That's the bit I'm stuck on, I don't know how or where I enter that command. I've tried to search for this myself to no avail. Also, is that a space after the word touch and before the forward slash?

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Hmmm, I thought I understood but now I'm not so sure. Using the HTPC that works flawlessly I can easily access it from my server PC using the Samba/SMB method in your link. I'm not sure which file to edit or add a line of code to.

From this I suspect you can't access the necessary file via Samba/SMB, it has to be via ssh only. - Is this correct?

If the 'code' is on a readonly partition how can it be edited? Is it the case that you can edit it via ssh, it's just the partition is not normally accessible?

When I access the HTPC via ssh, what file do I edit or add the code to?

Code
     touch /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/96-nvidia.rules
  • I've just downloaded putty and successfully accessed the flawless HTPC.

However, it's getting a bit late for me so I'll see If I can boot the problematic HTPC tomorrow. If necessary I'll clean install LE to get it up and running then access ssh and type the that command to see if that creates a reliable machine.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply to what must seem a really basic question.