Tinkerboard possible Deinterlace issue

• Hey everyone,

I installed Libreelec on my Tinkerboard today and tried to watch a 1080i h264 encoded TV recording. The video is way to slow, while the audio is playing perfectly correct. In the media Info it doesnt show a deinterlacer, so this is probably the issue. Can anybody tell me why this happens and if there is any way to circumvent this issue? Is this an issue that should be reported to Kodi?

Thanks for your help

Flole

• The image was LibreELEC-TinkerBoard.arm-9.0-nightly-20180709-2f5a3b0-rk3288 found on the testing page. I have already removed it from my sdcard, and if you consider it "no problem" I'm totally fine with that. Good luck trying to find someone who agrees with you and likes to watch slowmotion video where audio and video are completely out of sync.

• The image was LibreELEC-TinkerBoard.arm-9.0-nightly-20180709-2f5a3b0-rk3288 found on the testing page. I have already removed it from my sdcard, and if you consider it "no problem" I'm totally fine with that. Good luck trying to find someone who agrees with you and likes to watch slowmotion video where audio and video are completely out of sync.

You are missing the point I think.

You're running an alpha release of software that is actively being developed and in doing so you are effectively agreeing to help developers fault find it, as they are sure it has loads of bugs in it (that's what running Alpha software is all about)

For your fault report to be investigated you need to upload a log for developers to have any hope of fixing it. That's the quid pro quo for developers making nice stuff that we get to use for free...

You'll find no log = no problem is a common attitude for developers here. Log files are vital to troubleshoot issues - as they tell developers far more about an issue.

• I am a developer myself, so I know that I am running a pre-release and even pre-beta software which may contain lots of bugs. But as a User of such a software I see it as my Job to report bugs that I find in there, in order to help the devs fixing it.

If the issue is something more complex, I would have agreed with you but since this is "just playing a 1080i vid and see what happens" I am definitely not going to install the software again, test it, and then install my normal system again and set it up again. If the devs don't care about their work enough to investigate such an easy to reproduce issue, then I am defintely not caring about it either.

I know that this is free software, and with my report I wanted to help the devs, but if they simply don't care about it then this error will make it into the production builds. And as Production builds are release less often then Alpha, lots of users who expect a perfect software will find the bug and consider it unusable, and not just for a day or a month but most likely for ever. So if you really want to damage the reputation of your project, you are welcome to do so. I am not expecting anything so I have removed it and will move on now, you know about the bug and can investigate it or have it go straight into production, thats up to you.

• I am a developer myself, so I know that I am running a pre-release and even pre-beta software which may contain lots of bugs. But as a User of such a software I see it as my Job to report bugs that I find in there, in order to help the devs fixing it.

Then report them properly!

As a software tester (I test software and hardware for consumer audio products professionally and as a former developer) I know that saying "it doesn't play properly" tells the developer nothing. A proper bug report will tell the developer everything they need to know about the file you were trying to play, its encoding methods, video and audio data rates, etc. It will tell them about the settings in the software, about the details of the video and audio outputs, and so on. Each of those things and many more could influence the software and whether or not it may play a file. A full debug from Kodi actually makes the task for the tester pretty easy.

If you are a software developer, then you should understand the importance of detailed and accurate bug reports. Your brief description of the problem and assumptions as to where the problems may lie are not enough.