LibreELEC-RR 9.x [ Emulationstation | Retroarch | Pegasus | DolphinQT | Moonlight | Chrome | Spotify ]

• Build RR-20190902-c5f1fc8 | uploaded for Generic | Index of /nightly/

updated libglvnd & xorg-config to possibly fix nvidia-legacy driver

Meganiekje can you give this build a try?

5schatten : This version fixed the bootloop problem on the Nvidia 8400gs GPU with legacy driver :thumbup::)

The xorg.conf still works to fix the tearing in the chrome browser. (the issue with refresh-rate change is still present)

Edited once, last by Meganiekje: extra info (September 3, 2019 at 3:58 PM).

• 5schatten: I did a full kodi 'hard reset' to make sure that the chrome browser start problem is not in my config.

here is the logfile: kodi.log

I think it is not wise to fix the tearing in the default Xorg.conf, you need to get this exacly right for the used GPU otherwise the system will not boot. You could make some sort of 'switch' to select which Xorg.conf to use to fix the tearing ?

The Kodi.log does not help in this case because, as the name says, it's a Kodi logfile. Just post the logfile zip as you did before. It contains all logs which could be necessary.
    Well instead of creating dozens of xorg.conf files which I can't really test I think it's easier to just create a custom Xorg.conf if needed. It's just a few clicks & copy and paste.

5schatten : This version fixed the bootloop problem on the Nvidia 8400gs GPU with legacy driver :thumbup::)

The xorg.conf still works to fix the tearing in the chrome browser. (the issue with refresh-rate change is still present)

Great, I've got a report from a LE dev to that it works now.

Which refresh-rate change issue?

• 5schatten: The xorg.conf fix for screen-tearing in chrome browser with nvidia gpu's is disabled if 'adjust refresh rate to video' is used. (i did not test this with the new driver, only with the legacy driver)

for details look here : Screen tearing issue with Nvidia GPU

Well I'm not sure if this really fixable... in the end Nvidia is a special Snowflake if it comes to Linux drivers & afaik you can use several Kodi addons for stuff like Netflix, Amazon VOD and so on. So if refresh rate switching is mandatory just use these addons which use Kodi for playback.

• So if refresh rate switching is mandatory just use these addons which use Kodi for playback.

Let me explain why I'm so fixed on the chrome browser:

The biggest Tv-provider in Holland has a very customer-unfriendly Tv-Replay app on android. You can use chromecast, but not for replay-tv. If you connect a HDMI cable to your android device, the replay app blocks the output of the hdmi.

Their settop-box does only provide replay-tv for 6 channels.

The only way to have it all working on a big screen is to use the chrome browser.

I just need to avoid Nvidia GPU's to get a tear-free experience.

• Just get me a copy of the zipped file in your logfiles smb share. The chrome log should be included in the varlog file then.

Sorry 5schatten, I can not find any other logfiles than the ones i did allready post.

I need some detailed info on how to retrieve the chome log files.

• Let me explain why I'm so fixed on the chrome browser:

The biggest Tv-provider in Holland has a very customer-unfriendly Tv-Replay app on android. You can use chromecast, but not for replay-tv. If you connect a HDMI cable to your android device, the replay app blocks the output of the hdmi.

The only way to have it all working on a big screen is to use the chrome browser.

You mean ziggo?

• Sorry 5schatten, I can not find any other logfiles than the ones i did allready post.

I need some detailed info on how to retrieve the chome log files.

Provide Log File [LibreELEC.wiki]

Let me explain why I'm so fixed on the chrome browser:

I just need to avoid Nvidia GPU's to get a tear-free experience. <- that's the point in the end.

IMHO the problem is that Linux is at the moment mostly designed for server and somewhat for desktop usage. For example the "holy grail" Weston which is so much better than X11 and the next big thing doesn't even allow Kodi to change the refresh rate right now. I guess things will improve over time but at the current state everyone should avoid Nvidia hardware for HTPC usage & currently it's planned to drop the Nvidia support for LE10 / K19. So on the long run get rid of Nvidia hardware if you can or deal with the user experience you get.

• Regarding Pi4:

I still can't get Qt to build so I can't get Skyscraper or Pegasus to build.

However, if I disable those two in OEM then the build completes. This time Kodi seems to function properly and retroarch works. I haven't tested emulationstation or any emulation cores since I didn't load any roms yet. I'll try that out soon.

• I guess things will improve over time but at the current state everyone should avoid Nvidia hardware for HTPC usage & currently it's planned to drop the Nvidia support for LE10 / K19. So on the long run get rid of Nvidia hardware if you can or deal with the user experience you get.

EDIT: It looks like someone will just have to add support for EGLStreams to continue supporting NVIDIA in LE10/K19.

That's pure silliness, if I understand it correctly. Half of the emulators included in RR require some sort of GPU horsepower. Imagine Dolphin without NVIDIA. I'm working on Steam support primarily for gaming with LE/Kodi. I get it that NVIDIA hardware support is beyond frustrating on Linux (Torvalds gave it the correct gesture). However, I will either be forking LE or switching to running Kodi on Arch Linux if that is the case because I, like so many others, have sunk so much $$$ into NVIDIA hardware over the years, and they really do make the best hardware. Le sigh. I'll need to find the right tree to bark up.

Edited once, last by TheChuckster (September 4, 2019 at 8:26 AM).

• EDIT: It looks like someone will just have to add support for EGLStreams to continue supporting NVIDIA in LE10/K19.

That's pure silliness, if I understand it correctly. Half of the emulators included in RR require some sort of GPU horsepower. Imagine Dolphin without NVIDIA. I'm working on Steam support primarily for gaming with LE/Kodi. I get it that NVIDIA hardware support is beyond frustrating on Linux (Torvalds gave it the correct gesture). However, I will either be forking LE or switching to running Kodi on Arch Linux if that is the case because I, like so many others, have sunk so much $$$ into NVIDIA hardware over the years, and they really do make the best hardware. Le sigh. I'll need to find the right tree to bark up.

Well if it comes to Linux & retrogaming just use an AMD GPU or APU. For everything else I nowadays use mooglight & stream games from my workstation which makes more sense than having more than one capable system.

I'm pretty sure nobody of the Kodi devs will include EGLStreams to Kodi unless some other dude will do this & I can totally understand why because all other GPU devs focus afaik on GBM.

LibreELEC has it's own focus & agenda of course they focus on HTPC usage which means playing media & Retroplayer runs almost all low end consoles up to the PSX now which means no need for faster GPUs. If you switch over to Arch it's a whole different story because that's a usual Linux distro which is not using a read only filesystem and means you won't get a predictable & preconfigured system.

In the end it's all about ideology and somewhat stubbornness. Nvidia refuses to deliver OSS drivers & use common standards. Wayland doesn't care much about all features X11 had in the past because for desktop usage it's useless. Kodi devs don't want to maintain several backends the same time and some features like HDR need GBM iirc.

So all in all... either drop Nvidia GPUs or move to Arch or stick to the LE9 branch as long as it's possible. Personally I don't think that HDR is a feature that is important enough to drop compat and several other features. I updated & fixed the wayland backend a while ago and this could be a way to go if it would be possible for Kodi to adjust refresh rates. Nvidia drivers come with wayland libs so this could work too. If vanilla LE is dropping all Nvidia or X11 support and there will be no fully working wayland you end up with a 400$+ Generic HTPC which has basically the same featureset as a 30$ TV box or RPi. Both can run Kodi and that's it, so I don't see the value in having a full sized media center if that's the future...

• Regarding Pi4:

I still can't get Qt to build so I can't get Skyscraper or Pegasus to build.

However, if I disable those two in OEM then the build completes. This time Kodi seems to function properly and retroarch works. I haven't tested emulationstation or any emulation cores since I didn't load any roms yet. I'll try that out soon.

Well you probably need to bump Qt to 5.12.4 or .5 so a later release qt_5.12_release but since these clever dudes fu$%ed up the buildsystem in 5.12.1 for libmali based builds I could not update the package since a while.

Absolute paths to EGL library in libQt5Gui.so since Qt 5.12.1 | Qt Forum

Cross-compilation generates full paths in libQt5Gui.so for libGLESv2.so and libGL.so, then cannot be found in execution time | Qt Forum

• Just get me a copy of the zipped file in your logfiles smb share. The chrome log should be included in the varlog file then.

Hi 5schatten, I did a full hard reset, go to Chrome, I see message about 'first time', and downloading and installing.

But chrome does not start on this latop. logfiles: log-2019-09-04-14.14.00.zip

uploaded the kodi logfile to http://ix.io/1uf8 and kodi crashlog to http://ix.io/1uf9

If i move de hdd to another laptop or desktop, chrome does start.

Move the hdd back to this Dell latitude E6320, chrome does not start.

Let me know if you need more info.

Edited once, last by Meganiekje: extra info (September 4, 2019 at 3:35 PM).

• Well if it comes to Linux & retrogaming just use an AMD GPU or APU. For everything else I nowadays use mooglight & stream games from my workstation which makes more sense than having more than one capable system.

I'm pretty sure nobody of the Kodi devs will include EGLStreams to Kodi unless some other dude will do this & I can totally understand why because all other GPU devs focus afaik on GBM.

LibreELEC has it's own focus & agenda of course they focus on HTPC usage which means playing media & Retroplayer runs almost all low end consoles up to the PSX now which means no need for faster GPUs. If you switch over to Arch it's a whole different story because that's a usual Linux distro which is not using a read only filesystem and means you won't get a predictable & preconfigured system.

In the end it's all about ideology and somewhat stubbornness. Nvidia refuses to deliver OSS drivers & use common standards. Wayland doesn't care much about all features X11 had in the past because for desktop usage it's useless. Kodi devs don't want to maintain several backends the same time and some features like HDR need GBM iirc.

So all in all... either drop Nvidia GPUs or move to Arch or stick to the LE9 branch as long as it's possible. Personally I don't think that HDR is a feature that is important enough to drop compat and several other features. I updated & fixed the wayland backend a while ago and this could be a way to go if it would be possible for Kodi to adjust refresh rates. Nvidia drivers come with wayland libs so this could work too. If vanilla LE is dropping all Nvidia or X11 support and there will be no fully working wayland you end up with a 400$+ Generic HTPC which has basically the same featureset as a 30$ TV box or RPi. Both can run Kodi and that's it, so I don't see the value in having a full sized media center if that's the future...

That’s pretty f***d up!

How about the intel gpu’s?

• Did you disable the IGP?

• That’s pretty f***d up!

How about the intel gpu’s?

It's not about Intel or AMD it's about the fact that Nvidia neither supplies OSS drivers nor uses GBM which afaik all other companies do. But this is just one point the other is the plan to drop the displayserver.

Of course you can still run a lot of stuff without X11 since most frontends or backends support KMS anyway but stuff like Spotify or Chrome will be lost. Even if Wayland would work then afaik the build would be based on OpenGL ES and not OpenGL which means stuff like beetle-psx which has no OpenGL ES backend won't work anymore with hardware acceleration. So this will be problematic for community builds which focus on such stuff.