LibreELEC-RR 9.x [ Emulationstation | Retroarch | Pegasus | DolphinQT | Moonlight | Chrome | Spotify ]

• No different. Can you give any more detail on your setup? Device, bios/efi boot, install, the steps you take to create the asound.conf file.

grab 2 usb drives, download the img.gz, download Installation of LibreELEC [LibreELEC.wiki] then burn it to one drive, boot a system from the usb-drive, I used my old x220 notebook, installed the image from one usb-drive to the other usb-drive, rebooted & started the usb-drive with the clean install,used the wizard to setup basic stuff & set the audio device in the addon, reboot once and done.

Started RA & ES & ran MrBoom -> listened to annoying music & as I said it works here. The problem is that according to your logs the rr-config-tool wasn't started or did not run properly so it won't create the settings.xml and so later no proper asound.conf will be created.

• efi or bios boot on the installer? are you "burning" the install image on windows, linux, or mac?

I use an X250 & Windows 10 to burn the image. My htpc systems vary (J3455-ITX / GA-B150N-Phoenix-WIFI / RPi3B / Khadas Vim) and all work with the rr-config-tool :/ I can't imagine that a single addon fails because of efi or bios specific quirks/shrug

• The problem is that according to your logs the rr-config-tool wasn't started or did not run properly so it won't create the settings.xml and so later no proper asound.conf will be created.

settings.xml is created if I change something else in the plugin, such as the kms setting. the problem is not the settings.xml cannot be created, it is that whatever runs to create asound.conf on boot or from the plugin when you select a device from the addon does not seem to run.

• settings.xml is created if I change something else in the plugin, such as the kms setting. the problem is not the settings.xml cannot be created, it is that whatever runs to create asound.conf on boot or from the plugin when you select a device from the addon does not seem to run.

You tried a clean install with the latest img.gz and it still does not list the audio devices in the addon? If so please enable the debug log, reboot, run the addon, try to select something upload the kodi.log & the log zip.

When I asked you to manually enter the audio device into the settings.xml you said it's not created so if you run the addon now it still don't show a list when you try to select the audio device? Because underlaying script should leave some traces if it fails.

• Non of my config files or scripts ever touched the ALSA volume so I suspect some malconfigured addon or leftover causes this. The only thing that is configured is the PulseAudio volume & only temporary. Since nobody else ever reported a similar issue I tend to expect it's not related to my build.

But to make sure it's not some weird quirk grab an usb-drive install the latest build and check if still the volume drops when you launch RA since this should start out-of-the box.

Hi 5schatten,

I made the test right now and unfortunately the issue is still there: the volume drop to 44% after even only launching ES and exiting.

I installed your 0305 build on an USB drive and booted with that, upgraded the clean installation with the last 0404 (in the first release there's not the volume level configuration in the rr addon, just backend selection), configured pulse as backend audio and pulseaudio volume to 25% in RRconfig addon. Launched ES, exited, the volume in kody drop to 44% (amixer command through ssh in every step, like in your previous post).

What can I do to report to you something considerable to discover the issue?

Thank you

• Can you provide some lines of code to add to your original code to debug? I'm not familiar with python, but I think if I can add some lines to print out some results to a text file for every if statement of the code you linked in the previous post, maybe we can point out where the code is not working as we expect.

As a workaround maybe I can add a line of code that doesn't use RR variables to set the volume back to 100% when exiting from emu frontend.

Thank you

• Can you provide some lines of code to add to your original code to debug? I'm not familiar with python, but I think if I can add some lines to print out some results to a text file for every if statement of the code you linked in the previous post, maybe we can point out where the code is not working as we expect.

As a workaround maybe I can add a line of code that doesn't use RR variables to set the volume back to 100% when exiting from emu frontend.

Thank you

Again I don't change the ALSA volume so my scripts don't touch this. Does you volume only change if you run ES or change also if you run RA or Pegasus because all three are completely different.

What you can do is to reboot your system, enter systemctl stop kodi and check again with amixer or alsamixer if the volume has changed. Also grab this image LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0) and check if a recent LE master build shows a somewhat similar behavior -> if you made a clean install of my build you can switch between them on the fly.

The main question is under which circumstances the ALSA volume changes because my scripts don't touch it. You use this device? AOpen Digital Engine DE67-HA ab € 0 (2019) | heise online Preisvergleich / Deutschland

• Again I don't change the ALSA volume so my scripts don't touch this. Does you volume only change if you run ES or change also if you run RA or Pegasus because all three are completely different.

What you can do is to reboot your system, enter systemctl stop kodi and check again with amixer or alsamixer if the volume has changed. Also grab this image LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0) and check if a recent LE master build shows a somewhat similar behavior -> if you made a clean install of my build you can switch between them on the fly.

The main question is under which circumstances the ALSA volume changes because my scripts don't touch it. You use this device? AOpen Digital Engine DE67-HA ab â¬Â 0 (2019) | heise online Preisvergleich / Deutschland

Yes, it happens with all three frontends (es, ra, pegasus).

I use a Fujitsu Esprimo Q900.

After rebooting the system the alsa volume goes back to 100% as already said in previous post. I'll try stop kodi just after a fresh reboot as you said to verify what volume value it loads. If this is the case, where can I find this volume definitions in the code? Thank you.

-----------------------------------------

I've already explained with details and logs in which circumstances the alsa volume changes: all the volume changes work correctly (booting the system, launching frontends) except exiting the frontends where alsa volume doesn't go back to 100% but is set to 44% (and this value doesn't match the value of pulse audio level set in rrconfig add-on which I set to 25%). This value (44%) could be useful to understand where an how it is obtained (very strange). I don't know what informations could be useful to you to understand something more about this issue, but please tell me what you need... I'm available to debug tasks and tests as told.

• Just tried it.

1. Rebooted.

2. amixer returns 100%

3. systemctl stop kodi

4. amixer returns 100%

5. systemctl start kodi

6. amixer returns 100%

Continued some other tests.

7. run ra

8. amixer returns 44% (that is not 25% as defined in rr addon config, but it's okay because is pulse audio to be set, not alsa)

9. pactl list sinks | paste - http://ix.io/1g4b

10. exited ra

11. pactl list sinks | paste - http://ix.io/1g4c

12. Looked deep into amixer and alsamixer:

amixer returns all values to 100% but master to 44%, in alsamixer I find master to 18 value.

13. systemctl stop kodi

14. amixer returns 44%

15. systemctl start kodi

16. amixer returns 44%

Does these infos tell you something more?

Thank you

• Well let's continue to find what's the root cause. When you run kodifreeze.sh freeze in a terminal it should stop Kodi also. Can you check if the ALSA volume changes too? (kodifreeze.sh unfreeze starts Kodi)
    1 time with PA backend & 1 time with ALSA backend?

Depending on the backend setting it should give a different result.
    LibreELEC.tv/kodifreeze.sh at libreelec-9.x-rr · 5schatten/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

If for whatever reason the PulseAudio changes ALSA volume I could probably hardcode it too 100% back too though I have no clue how it touches the device.

Which audio output do you use? HDMI or some analog?

• Analog. Thank you.

I'll try the tests.

Answering your "pulse audio changes alsa volume" I suggest to read the link I posted, it writes about it.

does amixer set Master 100% unmute restore the volume for you? If yes I'll add it to the script

EDIT:

Do you know how to create and run a Linux script?

so log into a terminal then run nano test.sh copy & paste the content, then run chmod +x test.sh and finally ./test.sh

Bash
    #!/bin/sh
    # SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0
    # Copyright (C) 2018-present 5schatten (https://github.com/5schatten)

if [ ! $(amixer get Master | awk '$0~/%/{print $4}' | tr -d '[]%') = "100" ]; then
      amixer -q set Master,0 100% unmute
      echo "Restoring ALSA Master volume to 100%"
    fi

If this works I can add this straight to the script and this should fix this problem.

• does amixer set Master 100% unmute restore the volume for you? If yes I'll add it to the script

EDIT:

Do you know how to create and run a Linux script?

so log into a terminal then run nano test.sh copy & paste the content, then run chmod +x test.sh and finally ./test.sh

Bash
    #!/bin/sh
    # SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0
    # Copyright (C) 2018-present 5schatten (https://github.com/5schatten)

if [ ! $(amixer get Master | awk '$0~/%/{print $4}' | tr -d '[]%') = "100" ]; then
      amixer -q set Master,0 100% unmute
      echo "Restoring ALSA Master volume to 100%"
    fi

If this works I can add this straight to the script and this should fix this problem.

Yes, both worked fine.

Thank you

• with kodifreeze the volume drop to 44% and stays there after unfreeze (pulseaudio as backend). With alsa backend it stays always at 100% (that's the reason why we use pulse as backend: the emulators volume is too high)

Another way could be to provide a volume selector for alsa backend in rr config, as you developed for pulse backend. In this way with both backends everyone can set a backend volume.

Thank you again

• Okay so does your volume only change if you use Pulse? Or also when you use ALSA? If the code works it's only a question where I have to place it.

Nope. With alsa backend selected in rr config there's not volume selector available, so it's obvious it stays untouched at 100%.