LE 6: Character "@" not allowed as part of the SSID

• Hi there,

i tried to use my RPi3 as WLAN-AP and gave him the SSID "pi3@home" but the @ was not accepted as a character of the SSID.
    "pi3home" worked well, but i would realy like to name this WLAN like i did with my others ("guest@home", "atv@home" etc.).
    Makes some things easier

I think that the regular expression has to be modified.

• I had an issue with my former Samsung Galaxy S4 where it will not connect to an AP if it had "non conventional" characters in its name. I will strongly suggest that you do away with them if possible to prevent incompatibilities and erratic behaviour with specific devices.

• There are no regular expressions in use. I'd be interested to know if the following works from the SSH console or you see the same?

Code
    connmanctl
    agent on
    scan wifi
    services
    connect wifi_dc85de828967_38303944616e69656c73_managed_psk

Select the string that corresponds to the network you want (hint: tab autocomplete works) and enter the password when prompted

• Hi chewitt,

sorry but your code does not work here.
    My Linux knowledge is not that good, but i will try to explain what happens:

Code
    # connmanctl
    Error getting VPN connections: The name net.connman.vpn was not provided by any connmanctl> agent on
    Agent registered
    connmanctl>
    connmanctl> scan wifi
    connmanctl> services
    *AR Wired                ethernet_xxxxxxxxxxxxxx_cable
    connmanctl> connect wifi_dc85de828967_38303944616e69656c73_managed_psk
    Error /net/connman/service/wifi_dc85de828967_38303944616e69656c73_managed_psk: Method "Connect" with signature "" on interface "net.connman.Service" doesn't exist

my RPi3 is connected via ethernet and i just wanted to create an AP inside my living room.

But regarding the legal characters of an SSID: According to last standard 802.11-2012 (Section 6.3.11.2.2), it can be 0-32 octets with an unspecified or UTF8 encoding. So in any case the "@" is a legal octet. I thought that a regular expression is used to cut off illegal characters - never read before the above named papers

• The RPi3 has a built in WLAN.
    And mine is active as an AP, its name is "wlan5".
    All i want is to rename this access point to "wlan5@home".
    But the "@" character is dropped by the input box (options -> libreelec -> network -> Activate AP (tethered) -> SSID -> wlan5@home -> ready -> try it again, bro, because i do not like the @ ).

The RPi3 should not connect to a WLAN called "wlan5@home", he has to become an access point called "wlan5@home".

Sorry for the misunderstanding

• ofc it is not a showstoper. I apologise if i had used a wrong board.

But using an email-address as a SSID is a good idea to give ppl the possibility for a contact.
    Many WLANs are configured like hell (channel settings totaly wrong) and it is hard to find the right neighbour inside a skyskraper.
    A 2nd advantage of same SSIDs in a network is the seamless roaming for clients. They do not know which AP they have to use, they just connect to the AP with the strongest signal.

An example: if my guest networks all named "[email protected]" and my own networks all named "[email protected]" users are able to use their phones even on the restroom without thinking about the right SSID.

That is what live makes easy.

I was just wondering about the fact, that the "@" was forbidden in LibreELEC and thought it is a problem of a regular expression which checks the legal characters.

Anyway: i can live with this behaviour, but maybe the Devs are able to fix this with an upcoming version. If i have to make a bug report with log files and so on, i will do it ofc.

• I misread the original post (on a mobile phone with tiny screen) and thought you were connecting to an AP, not creating/hosting one.

service.libreelec.settings/connman.py at master · LibreELEC/service.libreelec.settings · GitHub

I'm incompetent at python so I'm not sure whether it's been excluded for a reason. I'll ask. If it's something harmless to tweak, we can tweak the script to allow @ in the name. If not we can better document allowed characters in the settings help text.

NB: As an information security professional I'd advocate you don't use an email address for an SSID as you're divulging something normally considered to be private that associates your identity to the network.