Libre elec not recognising HD's on S912 device

• MiniX uh-9 Neo

I thought "safe removing' should help getting them recognised as this seemed to help in the past.
    But now even that, if that ever really was the case, Doesn't seem to work anymore.

No matter what I do, switch docking station or HD it will not pick up certain HD's.
    What can I do?

• Official Post

Are the disks coming from a Windows machine?

Double-check if the hibernation or suspend flag are not somehow active, do a full shutdown on Windows.

Also check the disks for any disk errors.

Linux can be pretty picky when it comes to mounting disks.

• Yes the disks have been connected to a windows machine, but i always try to use the safe remove function. Sometimes windows doesn't allow me to use safe remove and i jank out the usb cable, eventhough im quite sure no programs are using the disk.

However just to be clear, in this instance I SUCCEED in removing the HD via windows, and then I connect it to the Minix. But it won't show up. I do get the msg if it was removed though.

The disk also has no errors i checked it.
    How do i check if hibernation or suspend flag are somehow active?

• Official Post

The safe remove function should kick when shutting down Windows completely, also removing any suspend/hibernation flags. So perhaps you can try again.

Otherwise, attach the HDD to the S912, run LibreELEC, log in remotely via SSH and give the URLs for the following command:

Code
    blkid | pastebinit
    mount | pastebinit
    dmesg | pastebinit

and we'll see what happens then.

• The safe remove function should kick when shutting down Windows completely, also removing any suspend/hibernation flags. So perhaps you can try again.

Otherwise, attach the HDD to the S912, run LibreELEC, log in remotely via SSH and give the URLs for the following command:

Code
    blkid | pastebinit
    mount | pastebinit
    dmesg | pastebinit

and we'll see what happens then.

I tried again by shutting down windows with HD attached. and replug in S912. Didn't change anything.

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    After the BLKID command
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    After the Mount command

After the Dmesg command

Not sure wht this supposed to do though.

Edited once, last by chrisssj2 (May 16, 2018 at 8:41 PM).

• Official Post

Well, the S912 is not completely blind to the external HDD...

But for some reason it's not showing up in the other listings. Is it by any chance a Seagate external HDD?

Other than that, it's beyond my knowledge. Maybe someone else can step in.

• Well, the S912 is not completely blind to the external HDD...

But for some reason it's not showing up in the other listings. Is it by any chance a Seagate external HDD?

Other than that, it's beyond my knowledge. Maybe someone else can step in.

Btw the device im having issue with are 2 seperate docking stations, which HAVE worked before. Just not now all the time for some reason.
    I connected a harddive that is working (for now)
    And through ssh i did cd /var/media and it showed ONLY the disk that was already working, the docking station HD it did not register in the listing.. :(
    (btw is there a ssh command to safe remove a device?)

These are 2 seperate HDD. a WD, Green, a WD RED, and a toshiba.. all same issue.

Perhaps because I updated from 8.2.2.3 to 8.2.4.1?? idk this problem seems so random as i have had it before but ussually connecting it to windows and safe remove fixed it..

Edited once, last by chrisssj2 (May 16, 2018 at 9:23 PM).

• The only device i plugged it in other then my windows is system is my LG55C7 TV.

So you plugged the hard drive into the LG TV ?

Can you mount the hard drive in any LE Box ?

I was lucky it mounted on my TX7.

If you can use file manager to delete any strange files you see.

I'd say the TV may have inserted a file for its reading of the hard drive and caused this.

Really guessing here. Only because i deleted files on my hard drive and it mounted.

Sorry i can't be of any more help.

• Yeah my TV sees the problem drives immediatly. Well very rarely ive had issues and had to reboot tv and retry but mostly smooth.
    I only have my Minix Uh9 Neo as LE box. So yeah can only try with that. There aren't any strange files on my harddrive except for a "TN folder" with 2 small files, created by the TV. but if I delete them, it doesn't magically solve my problem unfortunately.

Thanks for trying to help though :( this is a real nasty problem.

• Otherwise, use a simple pc or other computer for your drives and turn it into a NAS, and connect your S912 to that.

Easier said then done. I don't have the money for that maybe end of the year.
    It's a bit ridic i need to buy a new pc for a media streaming box. Also if you follow my other topic. I have also have problems with SMB not working.
    Still this should be a solveable problem no?
    But yeah thats if no one can provide indepth knowledge on this matter.

Edited once, last by chrisssj2 (May 17, 2018 at 9:46 AM).