SMB slow speed

• I have a raspberry Pi 2 with LibreElec installed. Been using this setup for years but have noticed an issue in the last 6 months or so. When I try to play a relatively high bit rate video over smb I get buffering. Files are located on a Windows machine. This didn't used to happen.

For a test, I tried playing the video using the Plex add-on in Kodi and the file played back perfectly. I thought maybe Plex was transcoding the file but I checked and it said it's playing at original quality.

Why would Plex not buffer but my SMB connection does?

I have wired connection btw.

• I'm looking at the CIFS sample now. It looks like it will take some time for me to figure it out.

As a side note, I tried setting up a FTP server on my PC and was able to playback my file perfectly on my Pi.

If I can't figure this out the FTP share is a fine alternative for me.

• So I finally got around to trying a system(linux) mount and my file plays back perfectly that way. Any suggestions on why Kodi's internal SMB client is slower for me?

• Official Post

Not right away, but it is interesting though. There is this "YMMV" situation, where some network combinations work better for some people and not others. It is similar when comparing SMB and NFS connections. Somehow people come up with different results.

If the Linux mounts work better for you, great. Other people don't seem to have problems with internal connections.