Video Playback Stutter

• Hi folks,

First off let me say a bit thanks to those who have continued the xxxxELEC project as it is much appreciated.

I've come from OpenELEC and previously tried to help out the community with HD Audio which lead to some positive change.

Recently I've moved up from OpenELEC v5.0.8 which was working great to LibreELEC v7.0.2 and it's introduced a stutter every few seconds on video playback which I can't seem to fix.

So far:

• Tried on two systems.

• One custom build with Intel 3770s -> Onkyo TX-NR646 -> Samsung TV
      • One DC3217IYE Intel NUC -> Samsung TV
    • Shares are through the NFS protocol.
    • Always set the playback to sync to the framerate of the video file on start/stop.
    • Tried changing multiple video combinations in settings.
    • Formatted completely back to vanilla v5.0.8 and v7.0.2.

Each time the problem is introduced on v7.0.2 so would be grateful for any guidance if possible.

Also, here is a copy of the Kodi.log file of a fresh reboot to playing a test movie file.

Thanks

################################################################################ - Pastebin.com

Edited once, last by GrimGriefer (August 16, 2016 at 8:31 PM).

• Just had a quick playback with multiple versions from vanilla setup.

v5.0.8 (OpenELEC) - Working Fine.
    v6.0.3 (OpenELEC) - Working Fine.
    v6.95.2 (OpenELEC) - Video Playback Stutter.
    v6.95.3 (OpenELEC) - Video Playback Stutter.
    v7.0.2 (LibreELEC) - Video Playback Stutter.

As soon as I revert back to v6.0.3 without changing anything in the system settings (by copying target to update from the tar files) the playback reverts back to normal.

Seen as v6.0.3 is based off Kodi 15.2 and anything above is based off Kodi 16.x, I 'm assuming there is something there.

• How about testing the new Krypton alpha builds? Since not very much developing will go into Jarvis (LE 7.x) anymore, you might as well look forward instead of looking back.

Exact same issue I'm afraid.

I've set up a separate partition to boot into a dev version of LibreELEC now to test without messing with my working version of OpenELEC v6.0.3.

Anyway, here is the log file of booting directly into v7.90.004 and trying the same file. I have also tried other video files to confirm the same happens there too.

################################################################################ - Pastebin.com

• You need to enable debug logging in Kodi or the log tells us nothing of use. Thanks.

Do "cat /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | paste" in future then share the URL generated, it's easier to read than pastebin

For some reason the SSH paste logs isn't working for me so I've attached them in a zip.

Once is for the working OpenELEC v6.0.3 and the other is for the LibreELEC v7.90.004 with debugging enabled.

I've tried the setup on two different Samsung and one Sony TV's and all have the same result when using 24p mode.

Hopefully I've done the logs right and they are of use.

• I think we may be on to something here.

I have just tried a friends Intel NUC5CPYH and it worked straight out of the box when testing the latest Milhouse build of LibreELEC on my setup at home. The same Aug 16th build on my system still stutters every few seconds playing back the same file over NFS like I was on the NUC5CPYH with the refresh set to adjust to 24p on start/stop.

So going with what is on this forum we have:

Intel Sandybridge i3 2120 with HD graphics 2000: Stuttering
    Intel Ivybridge i7 3770s with HD graphics 4000: Stuttering
    Intel Ivybridge i3 3217U with HD graphics 4000: Stuttering

Intel Braswell Celeron N3050 with HD graphics: Working
    Intel Haswell i5 4250U with HD graphics 5000 : Working

Could it be something that has changed in the Intel driver since v6.0.3 of OpenELEC that is causing the stutter on older (but still capable) hardware?

Edited once, last by GrimGriefer (August 17, 2016 at 4:49 PM).

• Thanks for the link to the samples Klojum.

Here some quick YouTube videos I took trying out the varying samples from 60, 59, 24 & 23.976 refreshes on both OpenELEC v6.0.3 and the latest Milhouse LibreELEC build. I can change between the two very easily as I have a custom multiboot setup.

Hopefully this illustrates the problem when you see me go to the 24p samples especially.

OpenELEC

LibreELEC

Edited once, last by GrimGriefer (August 17, 2016 at 4:27 PM).

• Just tried the latest LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0-Milhouse-20160826222340-%230826-ga0e3207 build and its a massive improvement. The performance is much more in line with the old OpenELEC v6.0.3.

• Just tried the latest LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0-Milhouse-20160826222340-%230826-ga0e3207 build and its a massive improvement. The performance is much more in line with the old OpenELEC v6.0.3.

Hello GrimGriefer,

I have tested this build and for me, it's exactly the same thing.

But, I have tested with KodiBuntu and, with this, it's perfect !