SAT TV Setup - Best way

• Hi experts,

I'm moving into a new house with a new satellite dish. As I had cable T'V until now, I just wonder how to set it up the best way.

When I was talking to some people, they just recommend the MECOOL KII Pro box (or KIII Pro). But I have some requirements, I don't know, if it's the right setup.

So let me describe my situation and my ideas:

1. In the basement there is a Rogetech 5/8 satellite switch with 8 outputs. Two of them are free.
    2. In each room, where there could be a TV, at least one satellite output is available (in the living room two).
    3. It should be possible to watch different channels in each room simultanously.
    4. It should be possible to record and playback channels centrally from each TV client.
    5. At least in the living room it should be possible to watch pay chanlles, like Sky.

My thoughts are now:

• Setup a mini pc server (maybe also a mecool box, if also possible) in the basement with some HDD storage and connect it to the two open outputs. This would be used for the central PVR & storage
    • At each TV setup a mecool pro box and use the available free satellite connection

Is that somehow possible? Would I need to use an libreelec image on the boxes and if so, could I still use the staellite connection at each box without the need of streaming everything?

Thank you very much for your help!

Br

• I would go central, maybe even an Sat>IP Box (or an NAS with an DVB-S2 Card). Then every Client doesn't need an sat connection or tuner at all. An central recording needs an central server (somehow). You could ofc use some a Mecool but that box has ONLY 1 tuner - so its get difficult.

Some idea:

Sat>IP Box -> Server (small nuc or something low power with good network + sata) -> multiple clients (number doesn't matter -> max 4 different channels a time could be watched)

or

NAS/Server with an build in TV card -> depending how much channels you need can make everything happen (also the expensivst option, but also the "best")

For sky I really would point you to an classic Sky receiver, just works and no hassle. DRM is a pain in the butt.

• Hi,

thank you for your answer!

Ok, do you have any recommendation for a SAT>IP Box, that could be used as a server? In the living room I have two SAT connections, so simultanous watching and recording should be possible, right? If possible I would like to use the SAT connection in each room by a box also. Isn't it more channels I could watch in parallel like this and each client is independend from the SAT IP box in the living room?

could I use the Mecool Pro boxes as clients and record centrally on the SAT IP box with a hardrive then?

Thank you! :)

Br

• The problem is that there is no Sat>IP box with an integrated server to buy. Sat>IP routes the DVB Devices to any device as if they are physical build in. So you need in any case some kind of "server" or every client need to have an VDR/Tvh Server installed.

To workaround (what is pricewise some middle ground) you could get "NAS/Server"

For example J3455 board + power supply + some storage + 1 or 2 DVB Cards.

just as example

1 Intenso Desktop Pro DIMM 4GB, DDR3-1600, CL11 (5631150)

1 or 2 TechnoTrend TT-budget S2-4200 Twin

1 ASRock J3455M (90-MXB450-A0UAYZ)

1 LC-Power 2009MB, schwarz (LC-2009MB-ON)

1 be quiet! System Power B9 300W ATX 2.4 (BN206)

~200€

Then you can add whatever you need as clients from there + record and even transcode. Also this could act as NAS if needed.

Otherwise you need an Sat>IP Server like Digibit R1 + some device that can handle as Server,

Digibit R1 ~120€ + Odroid_C2 or Rock64 ~80€ (incl OS Storage + power supply).

Price wise its difficult, cheapest solution one central Sat>IP Box and several Clients but there is no way of central recording.

Just to show some setup:

I have an old J1900 + power supply + some scrappy housing + 32gb SSD + an 8 Tuner DVB Card acting as server without any problem since some time. It is used by every Client (S905 Boxes, real HTPC, RPi via WLAN, Tablet, Smartphone and for Emby). That device is located at the attic in a corner.

• you could be looking at a enigma2 receiver, such as the vu+ ultimo 4k with twin fbc sat tuners. adding a cascadable dSCR multiswitch to the existing one, could have potentially 8 different tuners. then any libreelec box with the addon vu+ enigma 2 would be able to stream every recording (box it's pvr adding a hhd) and multiple frequency streaming (depending on LNB/dSCR multiswitch). Just an idea. I've done this in my house as i can't at the moment bring cables from the back to the front of the house. so i use a vu uno as server and "slave" boxes in 3 different rooms. There is plenty to read around, just head to specific enigma2 forums.

• any libreelec box with the addon vu+ enigma 2

Yea this would be a possible solution here IF the vu+ addon would work correct and would be developed. Both is sadly not the case anymore.

Also you are hardwired to the enigma protocol, ofc could be enough - depending at usage. Tbh I am pretty happy that I can use every software that I want at every OS I want and still have access to TV.

• i've been using enigma since the old dreambox 500 so more than a decade. it does the job and of course there is a great community behind. only embaced kodi in the last 2/3 yrs so i now made the link between the 2. another substitute for the vu addon is the iptv simple addon, which works with the list m3u made by the enigma box.

i've basically just been linking the existing hardware in my possession and made the best use of it. in the end of the day they speak the same language. good luck with yours.

• I have the server setup that CVH suggests running here (only dual tuner card, don`t need more atm.) - and it`s great!

An old desktop (Fujitsu ESPRIMO E900 E90+), dvb-s2 card, dvb viewer recording service and several usb disks (connected to the desktop psu).

Clients wake it up via wol when needed and it works perfectly since over a year. I experimented with several TV Server solutions, but dvb viewer was the only one that worked without any problem and does all I need.

clients are cheap s905(x) boxes with libreelec, computers, mobile phones, tablets... It just works on almost every device we own.

• Hi guys,

thank you for all answers!

Just for playing a bit around, I have now ordered a Meccol KII Pro box, which is basically an S905 Box with a SAT tuner. I also bought a Raspberry PI 3, which should run as a server.

puked: Your setup sounds good! If I use a KII Pro box (S905) at each client and the Raspberry PI with two TV cards as the server, how would the recording work then?

I mean, I could use the sat tuner of the KII Pro box to watch TV, but how would the recording work then? Is it possible to contiune watching any channel on the box, but when pressing record, it is recording on the Raspberry PI server?

Thank you for you help!

• Hi CvH.

I want to bluid one small server for 4Channels DVB s2.
    But i need to transcode 1 or 2 HD channels to.

Can you give me your feedback.
    I'm planning to buy:

2x DVBSky S952 PCIe card (low profile) with 2x DVB-S2 tuner (Dual Twin Tuner)
    DVBSky S952 PCIe card (low profile) with 2x DVB-S2 tuner (Dual Twin Tuner), CD with windows software: Amazon.es: Informática

ASRock J3455M (90-MXB450-A0UAYZ)
    https://www.amazon.es/asrock-j3455m-integrada-procesador-integrado/dp/b01mpxjldu/ref=sr_1_1

You think that tunner works good in libreelec 8X or 9X and i can use transcode for 1 or 2 channels with intel quick sync on this board?

If not, you can recommend some setup like this?
    Your reply are very appreciated.

• But i need to transcode 1 or 2 HD channels to.

this is just working with GPU accelerated transcoding, or you need a much more powerful cpu but the J3455 or the successor the J4105 (copmparision PassMark - CPU Comparison Intel Celeron J4105 vs Intel Celeron J3455) can transcode 3-4 streams at the same time via GPU - no guarantees but should work

2x DVBSky S952

or TechnoTrend TT-budget S2-4200 (same card) - btw you can also have a look at amazon.de there are cheaper offers if you have prime

from today perspective, get an J4105 + some DVBSky or TT Cards and you should be fine, but you need Tvh 4.3 - or you have just CPU encoding that is horrible slow