DSD Issue with DFF file and cue sheet

• I've been attempting to play a .DFF rip of "The Dark Side of the Moon" from a single large .DFF file with an accompanying cue sheet. It reliably plays the first two tracks without issue, but when it gets to the third one it starts dropping out and becomes unlistenable. I don't see anything relevant in the logs, but maybe that's just my ignorance.

Kodi Log: ZGb

System Log: ZGc

On a happier note, I'm running one of the brand new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ boxes and this is the first time I've been able to run any version of Kodi without annoying HDMI dropouts.

Thank you for any insight!

• It's sounds like that rip you made from CD/SACD didn't go right. I'd also rip to WAV or ISO as those are better supported file formats.

The DSD tracks play fine on an Oppo BDP-103. I'm not having much luck with DSD on an Odroid C2, either. The tracks are 5.1 and I suspect that the transcoding is just too much to sustain at that bitrate.

I'm probably something of an outlier in that I appreciate the video capabilities of LibreELEC, but my primary interest is streaming multichannel audio from DVD-A and SACD rips. To that end, I'm finding that the C2 is definitely a much better choice than even the newest Pi. While my original post said I was no longer getting dropouts on the Pi, that unfortunately didn't last. The Odroid seems quite solid, though.

• The DSD tracks play fine on an Oppo BDP-103. I'm not having much luck with DSD on an Odroid C2, either. The tracks are 5.1 and I suspect that the transcoding is just too much to sustain at that bitrate.

By the way, I don't know if it would make things smoother or not, but DSD gets transcoded to 192kHz when 88.2 is generally viewed as a better choice for that material.

• I don't know why people cause complication for themselves with obscure formats. Go read the advice in post #2 again.

How is transcoding not causing a complication itself?

It's perfectly understandable to me if you, Kodi or LibreELEC don't want to bother with a weird format like DSD. However, since clearly some work has been put into it, I thought there may be some interest in hearing about a case where it wasn't fully operational. Apparently I was mistaken and apologize for wasting your time.

• The DSD tracks play fine on an Oppo BDP-103. I'm not having much luck with DSD on an Odroid C2, either. The tracks are 5.1 and I suspect that the transcoding is just too much to sustain at that bitrate.

I'm probably something of an outlier in that I appreciate the video capabilities of LibreELEC, but my primary interest is streaming multichannel audio from DVD-A and SACD rips. To that end, I'm finding that the C2 is definitely a much better choice than even the newest Pi. While my original post said I was no longer getting dropouts on the Pi, that unfortunately didn't last. The Odroid seems quite solid, though.

Really could do with native DSD output from HDMI but not sure who to ask about this; is Libre using manufacturer drivers for video cards? (Guessing Noveau isn't yet stable enough). FFMPEG and the rest of the Linux subsystem can detect and work with DSD but there is not yet any support from Nvidia/AMD/Intel.

• I don't know why people cause complication for themselves with obscure formats. Go read the advice in post #2 again.

Although raw DSD is difficult to work with form a DSP point of view it is a different format to PCM and all conversion to PCM are in some way lossy. So the original poster is correct to store DSD in its native format from an archive/quality POV.

• atrocity: got same problems with my ODROID C2. Got 100% cpu busy on one core paying multi channel DSF files.

My approach for DSD/ISO files:

- I'm keeping iso-files as archive files

- use sacd_extract to build intermediate DSF files (some iso contain both stereo and multi-channel)

- use dsf2flac to generate FLAC files (88,2 kHz, see below )

- some bash scripting: fill meta data in FLAC files using metadsf/metaflac

- put (multichannel ) flac files into KODi music library

example of playing multi channel FLAC file transcoded from ISO/DSF:

DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Input Channel Count: 6 Output Channel Count: 8

DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Requested Layout: FL,FR,FC,LFE,SL,SR

DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Got Layout: FL,FR,LFE,FC,SL,SR,UNKNOWN1,UNKNOWN1 (ALSA: FL FR LFE FC RL RR NA NA)

DEBUG: CActiveAESink::OpenSink - ALSA Initialized:

DEBUG: Output Device : AML-M8AUDIO

DEBUG: Sample Rate : 88200

DEBUG: Sample Format : AE_FMT_S32NE

DEBUG: Channel Count : 8

DEBUG: Channel Layout: FL,FR,LFE,FC,SL,SR,UNKNOWN1,UNKNOWN1

DEBUG: Frames : 2048

DEBUG: Frame Size : 32

-> ODROID C2 can play multichannel FLAC files with moderate CPU consumption.

Checked with my Onkyo AVR supporting "PCM, 8 ch, 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz, 16/20/24 bit"

hope this helps

Hans

• I have 61 SACD ISO rips. They total 166gb in size (avg size 2.7gb each). Foobar plays these ISO's flawlessly, including multi-track recordings. There are a couple related threads about this subject over at Kodi's forum (links below). I was able to extract the the DSF files from the original SACD ISO using the DSDMate plugin for Foobar2000, but when played back with Kodi, there is a LOUD (ouch) digital crackling noise between tracks. This noise is not present when using Foobar as the player though. There doesn't seem to be enough interest among developers to go further with this subject.

SACD playback issues ONLY IN KODI

SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC (long thread)

I use an old Sony BDP-S370 Blu Ray Player to output DSD from SACD's through an hdmi to my Pioneer Elite VSX-23 Txh AVR. The Sony Blu Ray Player can be switched from PCM to DSD output when playing an SACD. My AVR displays "SACD" during playback of the DSD signal.