migrate RPi2 -> RPi3 freezes!

• Hi all,

I'm running a RPi2 with current LE (static IP, the database is on a connected mariadb@synology).

Yesterday I swapped the RPi2-board with a RPi3 model, the system booted, but freezed at the kodi splashscreen.

Swapping back to RPi2 all runs fine....

I can't check the logs of the RPi3 startup, because at this moment the system isn't online.

Any ideas to fix this?

• I am in a similar position. I have a Pi2 that I have used for years and hoped I could just swap the SD card to the 3.

I did a quick test and got the "Rainbow" screen on the Pi3, where as the SD boots fine on the Pi2.

I then built a clean LibreElec and it boots fine on the Pi3.. And when I compared the filesystems on each card, they are completely different.,

I actually upgraded to LibreElec from OpenElec and it seems that my card is built completely differently to a standard LibreElec build.. So I fear I am just going to bite the bullet and start all over again.

I am doing some tests now with a clean build, but to be honest, I can't really notice the difference between the Pi2 and Pi3, so I am tempted to stick with the Pi2 for now.

• Official Post

Spring cleaning is never a bad idea. Take a backup, move it off box. Clean install to the RPi3, then manually extract (from the backup) and copy back only the things you need like DB files, sources.xml etc. - do not "restore" the backup as this also restores all the old OE cruft that you want to leave behind in the cleanup.

• Spring cleaning is never a bad idea. Take a backup, move it off box. Clean install to the RPi3, then manually extract (from the backup) and copy back only the things you need like DB files, sources.xml etc. - do not "restore" the backup as this also restores all the old OE cruft that you want to leave behind in the cleanup.

Is there a guide or any documentation about this.. I will have a play as I am sure I can work it out.. But it would be helpful to know where the backup lives.. What files are used for what.. And where to restore them..

• Hi,
    I bought a new RPi3 earlier today and when I got home I installed retropie on it and was looking forward to testing the performance of the RPi3 compared to my RPi2. But I was quickly dissapointed. Retropie hangs when I start any demanding games (Often as soon as it boots up), and sometimes on the RetroPie GUI, as well as when I try to move files to the RPi over sftp. I've tried over ethernet and over WiFi but with both the RPi eventually freezes. Using the USB rom service worked a bit better but that also froze eventually. ShowBox VidMate Mobdro

Edited once, last by zimou13 (March 9, 2018 at 9:18 AM).

• hi all,

I believe a clean install is the only ..bitter..way! A backup "restore" does not work under this circumstances, chewitt I read your post some minutes too late :D

So as jweaver mentioned, a guide which files are really needed will be great. Even though I suppose there are only a few like:

.kodi/userdata/* ?!

advancedsettings.xml

lircmap.xml (if you use it)

.addons (perhaps better fresh install)

.config?!

• ok, I did a fresh install with all relevant settings at the weekend, and copied the following files from the old Pi2-backup to the new Pi3-installation:

.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

.kodi/userdata/mediasources.xml

.kodi/userdata/sources.xml

further, to enable my IR-remote:

.config/lircd.conf

.kodi/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml

.kodi/userdata/lircmap.xml

...and activate the module in config.txt

so far, everything seems fine......

• When upgrading from Pi2 to Pi3 using the same SD card it should be noted that any overclocks in config.txt that work with your Pi2 may now be applied to the Pi3 causing the Pi3 to lock up, either on boot or shortly afterwards. The same is true when switching back to Pi2 from Pi3 (indeed, overclocked Pi3 settings are far more likely to prevent a Pi2 booting).

The solution is to use conditional filters, configuring separate overclock settings for the Pi2 and Pi3. The correct overclock settings will then be used automatically.