Does this dvb s2 tuner work?

• I see the crash since I use the device and there in no external 12V.

There is a SMD fuse in the upper right corner of the PCB for the external power that I had to replace once to get it work again.

The fix may avoid the crash but the device will not work without a detected demodulator.

• yea the driver crashs, could you pls disable the hauppauge DVB driver addon (choose LE standard driver) and try again ? (and post dmesg | paste )

Since I was in doubt because of what mglae said, I have repeated what you requested but this time I made sure that the PSU was connected. And to be 100% sure that the device is working properly I will be testing it today in windows with the TT-Viewer software that came with the device on both dvb-s2/s signals to make sure that it has nothing defected. Here you go Scv

I see the crash since I use the device and there in no external 12V.

There is a SMD fuse in the upper right corner of the PCB for the external power that I had to replace once to get it work again.

The fix may avoid the crash but the device will not work without a detected demodulator.

I will confirm this today, but I do not think it is a blown fuse because I have just bought the device. It could be did on arrival case. I will test it today on dvbviewer as well. If on dvb-s2 the device will work smoothly then I do not think that there is any problem with the fuse since dvb-s2 is current demanding.

• yep, it looks so.

But after my experiences with this shop I would also tend to say "What a crappy shop" !

!!! DON'T BUY THERE !!!

BTW: terratec install routine under windows was as usual: easy.

@mglae

My technotrend came with an external 12 V !

If you bought by that shop and you don't got an external 12 V it would make "special sense" regarding money back to me ... !

@Softlander

If you bought there too: be prepared if you want to send back your device and to get your complete money back !!!

Make sure and be able to witness to that the back delivery was complete and without (optical) damages => photos / a list signed by the witness.

If you don't had an RMA in your package, like me:

the back delivery adress is NOT the address in their imprint, it is precise:

Otto-Lilienthal-Straße 7, Haus 2, 06796 Brehna

yes the small and un-bold address here:

DVBSHOP - TechnoTrend,Mystique,Digital Devices,Tevii

Edited 5 times, last by GDPR-7: thinkO (March 4, 2018 at 5:15 PM).

• Finally, I have tested the device on windows 10 using ProgDVB and TT-Viewer and "it worked" without any problems using the lastest driver provided by Technotrend at their site. I have tested it on both DVB-s/s2 channels and also tested what happens if I disconnect the PSU and the tuner stopped when disconnected and turned on when connected back so there are no power issues. I believe there are no hardware damages.

It is important to note that the Quality of the signal was bad compared to my receiver. I don't know if it is actually bad and what appears on the other receiver is fake or the receiving quality of the technotrend is bad. So If any one here can tell us it will be nice.

I want to mention also that I have followed the procedure at How to Obtain, Build and Install V4L-DVB Device Drivers - LinuxTVWiki and compiled the drivers modules on both latest ubuntu and noobs. I have ended up with really big folder and installed the drivers but it did not work as well.

So what do you think? what is the problem? mglae  GDPR-7  CvH

Is it something that cannot be solved?Is it software issue?

thanks for the advice. I live in different country so I do not know how I am going to make a proof of no-damage return. and I do not know if I am going to return the device yet. I hope we find a solution.

Edited once, last by Softlander (March 4, 2018 at 9:02 PM).

• "I do not know how I am going to make a proof of no-damage return"

- through the fact that someone else (friends) is able to witness that your device was running under windows

- through photo's and

- through a signed pack list and *before* you pack it and send it back.

Circumvent that the seller can say: it is not complete, it is damages, etc ...

Driver problem:

as @mglae noticed: it seems that the device was internally and undocumented changed.

this means to me there is no driver for linux (yet and maybe for a long time, if ever).

even nobody knows what the right fixes are => different devices with same ID's makes that searches somewhat difficult

Maybe one here can tell you more. I'm not a developer.

I for me only read about nearly 2 years old and open bug reports saying "unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference" which is - IIRC- a heavy bug.

I tried to bring this bug to the attention on linux media-list without success.

I tried a technotrend and a terratec, both with the ID's mentioned in dvb wiki and no.

what's left ?

photos, witness, pack list (for that *special* shop) stamp and bye bye grap !

Edited 2 times, last by GDPR-7: thinkO (March 4, 2018 at 11:35 PM).

• GDPR-7 The device is working fine for almost two years - when the power supply is connected. Even this bug is fixed in the next 4.16-rc4 kernel.

Softlander There is no Linux driver support for the new hardware. If or when there will be any nobody can tell.

• Sorry to bump this again but I really would like to know from someone here with good knowledge. What could be the problem that is causing the driver to crash? Can it be solved?

Thanks for your help.

• it wouldn't harm to mail those questions to [email protected] too.

Subject: "Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference"

linux-media is working at the media kernel tree.

linux-media

you also can extend (my) bug reports to get the attention from kernel developer.

are you able to compile vanilla kernels ?

As mentioned above there is a fix for at least one related kernel module in 4.16-rc4 (m88ds3103)

The Linux Kernel Archives

I don't have the device for testing.

Edited once, last by GDPR-7: thinkO (March 6, 2018 at 8:14 PM).

• are you able to compile vanilla kernels ?

As mentioned above there is a fix for at least one related kernel module in 4.16-rc4 (m88ds3103)

The Linux Kernel Archives

I do not know how to do this as I have just started to use Linux. But I have been reading this Kernel building - Raspberry Pi Documentation and the question is: How to use 4.16-rc4 on the raspberry pi. Should I compile this on the Pi itself or cross compile it on Ubuntu for example? I cannot find a simple guide to do this for the mainline kernel.

I wish that CvH can come up with simpler solution.

GDPR-7 If you can guide me to a tutorial to do this I will be happy to read and learn.

• @Softlander

Up to now I don't have any experiences with Raspberry PI. I don't even have one !

All I could do is to guide you by building a vanilla kernel on an normal PC (x86_64) running Fedora.

• Index of /test/ -> LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-9.0-latest-media_tree

there pls activate the hauppauge addon (I only changed it there) and test again, it includes the most up to date kernel drivers ... if this doesn't work not much I can do

I added an Tvheadend and an pvr.hts addon as our repo is out of date and they might not work

First I woud like to thank everyone here who is trying to help and find a solution to this problem.

So I have downloaded LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-9.0-latest-media_tree, then formated a 16GB microSD card and wrote the img file to it. Then I booted successfully into LibreELEC. When the Hauppauge addon is disabled I was able to connect to my Pi using SSH, but when I enabled the Hauppauge addon the connection failed so I was not able to do a "dmesg | grep dvb" to check if the driver crashed or not. What do you think is the problem?

Thanks for the help again, we are almost there. I hope we solve it.