LED (VFD) Displays in LibreELEC

• ErsFreezy

Yes, VFD support is only built into Leia builds.

It's possible to make it work on LE8 builds, but it requires a bit of work and I don't provide support for it.

Look at this post.

So I put the device Tree in the update folder with an tar and it updated now. I extracted the zip in .kodi/media and run the code "sh install.sh" via SSH but I get an error: cant open install.sh

what now? I use 8.2.2.3 in internal. What do I wrong? I tried both zips with the correct device trees...

The X92 config file is already in the .config folder

• ErsFreezy

I'm not sure why it's not working, what's the exact error message?

I always extract it into the downloads/fd628 folder. I suggest you try 'sh test_led.sh' first to make sure that it's working. 'sh -x test_led.sh' may show what line fails exactly. Sometimes there's a permissions issue, so you may need to run chmod to give the files execute permissions.

As I said, doing it this way is a pain, and I can't really support this. I use this method for testing on my dev box, but I can recommend its use for end-users.

• ErsFreezy

I'm not sure why it's not working, what's the exact error message?

I always extract it into the downloads/fd628 folder. I suggest you try 'sh test_led.sh' first to make sure that it's working. 'sh -x test_led.sh' may show what line fails exactly. Sometimes there's a permissions issue, so you may need to run chmod to give the files execute permissions.

As I said, doing it this way is a pain, and I can't really support this. I use this method for testing on my dev box, but I can recommend its use for end-users.

the exact error: "sh: cant open 'tes_led.sh'
    Have I does the update dtb right? I only put a .tar and the correctly device tree from ur attached zips into the update folder. I have no downloads folder.. Only Kodi and Storage and in these there no downloads folder. I use LE in internal.

But the thing that I dont understand is why you attached 2 zips with device trees? Which zip is the correct one for 8.2.2.3?

• Yes, VFD support is only built into Leia builds.

It's possible to make it work on LE8 builds, but it requires a bit of work and I don't provide support for it.

Look at this post.

Erm that is not entirely correct.

My v8.2.4.2 Krypton S905 builds defiantly have VFD support.

I have a VFD display working on a S905W box (A95X-R2) after following THIS guide.

Also used were the new v8.2.4.2 device trees found in the following folder:MEGA

You also have to install the service.openvfd-1.0.1.zip Addon that I compiled for LibreELEC.

Thx. for reminding me.

• the exact error: "sh: cant open 'tes_led.sh'
    Have I does the update dtb right? I only put a .tar and the correctly device tree from ur attached zips into the update folder. I have no downloads folder.. Only Kodi and Storage and in these there no downloads folder. I use LE in internal.

But the thing that I dont understand is why you attached 2 zips with device trees? Which zip is the correct one for 8.2.2.3?

I think you're not typing the command correctly or you're not doing it from the path that you extracted the file into.

There's nothing preventing it from working on older builds, I'm running it on LE7 on one of my boxes, but kzsaq's build doesn't include it. I assume you added it to your builds - that's great.

Just to clarify: you don't have to 'compile' the addon, it's written in python, and available on github. Here's a direct download link from GH to the latest version.

• I think you're not typing the command correctly or you're not doing it from the path that you extracted the file into.

There's nothing preventing it from working on older builds, I'm running it on LE7 on one of my boxes, but kzsaq's build doesn't include it. I assume you added it to your builds - that's great.

Just to clarify: you don't have to 'compile' the addon, it's written in python, and available on github. Here's a direct download link from GH to the latest version.

I definitly type the command right. How I can select the Path in terminal? When I only typye sh install.sh or the test command it dont works. So first of all I must select the path? Is there a command for that?

I put the files in .kodi/media

• ErsFreezy

1. I recommend you put the files into downloads/fd628.

2. Connect to the box, type in: (note: paths in linux are case sensitive)

Code
    cd /storage/downloads/fd628 
    sh test_led.sh

You can also run a search to see in which folder the files are:

Code
    find / -name "test_led.sh"
  • ErsFreezy

1. I recommend you put the files into downloads/fd628.

2. Connect to the box, type in: (note: paths in linux are case sensitive)

Code
    cd /storage/downloads/fd628 
    sh test_led.sh

You can also run a search to see in which folder the files are:

Code
    find / -name "test_led.sh"

I said that I dont have a "downloads" folder, however I created one. But theres no file that named "fd628" only "fd628Service"..

When I type the cd or sh comman it come on both the same error: sh: cant open...

• I said that I dont have a "downloads" folder, however I created one. But theres no file that named "fd628" only "fd628Service"..

When I type the cd or sh comman it come on both the same error: sh: cant open...

/shrug I don't know what you're doing, or what OS you're using. Sorry.

This is a screenshot of CoreELEC, but the idea is the same with LE.

• /shrug I don't know what you're doing, or what OS you're using. Sorry.

This is a screenshot of CoreELEC, but the idea is the same with LE.

I do the same that u do. I installed 8.2.4.2 new so clean. now when I type everything is same like yours but at the end in terminal I get the error: Open device failed.

• Then I suggest you install @wrxtasy's build. It already included the driver. Just make sure you use the correct dtb.

I said im on 8.2.4.2.. so its wrxtasys build.

With this build I can do the first cd command. With the second I get "Open device failed" error. I put the files in /downloads/fd628 folder and get the same error..

• Hmm

Downloaded the file for the X92.

Renamed it to vfd.conf

Copied it to storage/.config

Installed the openvfd addon and reboot. But dont worked.. but its not urgent I can life without that. Im only wondering why its not working..

• Hello,

I installed LibeELEC on my TV box S95 (Amlogic S905W), all works great, but on the box display is till showing "booting" .. how can I change this to time display?

Thanks

• Update to S905 LE v8.2.4.2 - there is a seperate thread for this in the forum.

Then follow the post above....

LED (VFD) Displays in LibreELEC

Follow the linked CE guide in that post and nothing else when using the new OpenVFD Addon.

To help people out, SSH login to LibreELEC then:

Code
    wget https://github.com/arthur-liberman/vfd-configurations/blob/master/-->whichever.file.conf -O /storage/.kodi/.config/vfd.conf