bogus error messages with leia when watching TV recordings

• Since I'm running leia on my kodi client I get many error messages in the kodi.log. This only happens when watching recordings and it seems to not have any negative effects. Watching live TV is fine though. The server is running LE 8.2.3, the client latest master as of today. Not sure if this is really just a cosmetical issue...

The vdr server does not report any problems (default loglevel 1).

Edited once, last by Schreibwaise (February 18, 2018 at 11:46 AM).

• ???

I do not expect ANY software to be error free :)

I was under the impression that the whole point of alpha releases is to get some testing so at least the number of errors can be kept at a minimum.

Sorry for misunderstanding. Will only report problems in release versions in the future.

• I was under the impression that the whole point of alpha releases is to get some testing so at least the number of errors can be kept at a minimum.

It is also important that users supply as much information as possible surrounding error/bugs. This is useful when reproducing the reported problems.

You start with saying "bogus error messages" which translates to 'not genuine or true'. Errors appear when something goes wrong. They are not simply invented by a rebellious or recalcitrant operating/server system.

You only provide a list of identical errors instead of the full kodi.log . Puzzles with only 3-4 pieces are impossible to solve.

• Sorry if I used the wrong wording. I'm not a native English speaker, so I probably got it wrong. What I wanted to say by using the term "bogus" is that the error message seems to be wrong since there is no user noticable problem.

Reproducing is trivial, as I just need to play a recording. Nothing special. And the log file is *huge* since kodi is reporting the error several times per second.

Anyway, meanwhile I'm starting to understand what's going on: The vdr server is running LE 8.2.3, so the vdr server is still at protocol 10 while the client is already at 12. But the method GetStreamTimes was introduced only with protocol 11, so trying to use this is expected to fail. I'm amazed how well this all is working nevertheless (so far I did not notice any other problem). I'm now using a modified version of the client to prevent my disk being filled with kodi logs. I cannot yet update the server.

Please accept my apologies for the noise. At least I learned something new and the sound driver for this specific device will get a new module parameter in the kernel, as I was investigating this issue with one of the ALSA developers and we found out that it worked with older kernels only by luck (just choosing another device is not enough as this will lead to broken volume control; the new parameter will allow to get the same behaviour as with kernel 4.11.12).