Permissions Problem Accessing smb://HTPC on a Windows Server

• I having trouble getting my PVR client to work on LibreELEC 8.2 because I probably do not have the folders on the back-end shared properly.

The error reported in the Kodi log is:

ERROR: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: Permission denied. Check the file or share access rights for 'smb://HTPC/Timeshift/live2-0.ts.tsbuffer'

My MediaPortal server is on a Windows 7 system and it works fine with older versions of Kodi (OpenELEC 6 and 7) and the MediaPortal PVR add-on.

I have these folders fully shared on my Windows server, but I'm guessing that's not really the issue.

My question is this really the samba permissions that is the issue? And how is that configured on LibreELEC?

Thanks, Clay

• My question is this really the samba permissions that is the issue? And how is that configured on LibreELEC?

I'd say that is 99.9% the case.

There is an option in LibreELEC to support SMBv1, the better question is: do you really want to run a server with a dangerously low security level? Ask any medical facility in Great Britain what the WannaCry virus did for them.

So fix your Windows server to use SMBv2+, use user accounts with full credentials including a password, and work on a safer local network.

• Yes, so the issue is that SMBv1 is now disabled by default in Kodi. Once I enabled it in Kodi's Service Settings, MediaPortal is now working.

I will investigate using SMBv2 on Windows also.

Thanks, Clay

• Yes, so the issue is that SMBv1 is now disabled by default in Kodi.

This is not the case - by default Kodi supports SMB1 up to the highest SMB protocol supported by the Samba server (eg. SMB2 with Win7 or SMB3 with Win10). This may change in future, with Kodi supporting only SMB2+, but for now Kodi supports SMB1+ out of the box.