Get new skins does not work

• Hi,

I've just switched from a quite old version of OpenElec to the latest version of LibreElec. I did so by downloading the correct file (generic Intel/NVidia for an Intel NUC) and put it into the update directory and then rebooted my NUC. Actually, I first downloaded your software to create a bootable USB drive because I think it's usually a good idea to start from scratch but for some reason the NUC did not boot from the USB.

After updating to LibreElec, reconfiguring my sources (files stored on a NAS on my local network) and refreshing the library I started looking at the default skin. I quickly realized that it did not offer the configuration options I want for displaying/browsing my content so I tried getting a new skin. However, when I select "Get more..." nothing happens. It's the same as selecting "Cancel". No log files seems to be created either.

To my knowledge I have no unsupported plugins installed. I only stream from within my own network and I have no intention of getting any unsupported plugins. Still, it does not work as expected. I have also tried several times to initiate a fresh installation, including reformating the local drive but it does not work. The NUC does not boot from the USB drive. Of course, I have checked the bios and it is set to boot from USB when available.

I am also unable to log on to the NUC through SSH. The root user does not accept any password I enter.

As it is right now I have more or less ruined a working media center by trying to update it. Not impressed by LibreElec so far... :(

Any help?

• I still have the bootable USB drive used to install my old OpenElec version and the NUC does boot from that drive. It seems your software has not made the USB drive for LibreElec bootable. What use is it if it's not bootable?

I'm seriously considering going back to my ancient version of OpenElec (from april 2014). It may have been ancient but at least it worked.

• when I select "Get more..." nothing happens

are you sure your network is properly configured ?

if so pls force a refresh of the repos -> go to addons -> Download -> left side panel -> check for update

I am also unable to log on to the NUC through SSH. The root user does not accept any password I enter.

root / libreelec

ofc just working if activated at LE Settings

• Thanks! Yeah, I found some info on Rufus as well. Unfortunately Rufus is Windows only Software and I am using Mac. However, I found another way to transfer the img file to the USB stick and now the stick was bootable. There seems to be a problem with the LibreElec software to create bootable USB sticks (at least the Mac version of it).

I have now created a "fresh" system based on the latest downloadable LibreElec img file. I am now able to ssh to the NUC and I have verified that the NUC does have internet connection (by pinging a well known URL). However, I still have the same behavior with the "Get more..." button in the Skin section. The windows just closes and nothing happens.

I can now see that there are some errors during installation but I am not sure what to do about them. This is a fresh install so there should be no interference if there are no errors in the installation files. Adding the kodi log file here. There are no new entries in it when I try to select "Get more...".

01_KODI.log

• I just took one of the url:s that seem to fail according to the log file and tried "wget <url>" and it worked fine. Do not know why it did not work during installation. Do not know how to make it work now.

• Another update from myself...

I found a way to install skins. It does not work if you try to get new skins through the settings menues. However, if you go through the add-on browser and add them "manually" they are installed and are the selectable in the settings menues. Still does not work to add new skins through the settings menues though.

Perhaps this is something I should have tried immediately. However, having had a working system for several years where stuff like this never caused any problems I expected this to work flawlessly in a new product that is said to be better than the one i have been using. Perhaps it is better in some ways but stuff like this should work out of the box.

Still, problem seems to be solved for now (unless I find some other problems when I continue configuring the system to work as I want it to work).