USB Drive mount issue

• Hello,

I have 4 external usb hard drives.

They are all nicely filled with various videos.

My Amlogic device running LibreELEC only mounts 2 of them.

At first I just assumed there wasn't enough power to operate 4 of them and so I purchased an external power source and plugged the drives into that - same result. It only detects two of them - always the same two.

In fact, when I unplug the two it hasn't detected LibreELEC displays a message saying something like 'successfully unmounted device' but I never get a message that it was mounted to start with and it never appears in the file manager.

I plugged them into Windows, they all work and I can see no real difference between them. They are all Nfts and seem fine.

They aren't the same brand of drive but one of the most - detected is a verbitan and so there not pitifully cheap ones either.

Can anyone help. I'm completely puzzled and I would love access to my other files.

Thanks in advance

• Make sure your drives are error free, and not in some hibernation or other sleep state from Windows. Linux doesn't like that.

Also having all of your drives have their own unique disk/partition label will help.

After that, plug them all in (if possible), make a SSH connection to your LibreELEC box, and run the following commands (hopefully the sprunge.us website still works):

Code
    blkid | paste
    mount | paste
    dmesg | paste

and paste the returned URLs here.

• Make sure your drives are error free, and not in some hibernation or other sleep state from Windows. Linux doesn't like that.

Also having all of your drives have their own unique disk/partition label will help.

After that, plug them all in (if possible), make a SSH connection to your LibreELEC box, and run the following commands (hopefully the sprunge.us website still works):

Code
    blkid | paste
    mount | paste
    dmesg | paste

and paste the returned URLs here.

Thanks for the help,

The drives work fine when plugged into the laptop so I'm assuming there ok.

What's an Ssh connection and how do I make one?

• as Klojum mentioned, good idea is find out, if storage was detected correctly, e.g., when you will be connected via ssh, run command

watch -n 1 "dmesg | tail -n $((LINES-6))"

• Thanks all. i've attached the log in txt format.

at 10:33:19 i disconnected the drives and reconnected. they are all plugged into a seperate 4 in 1 usb hub but i get the same non-connectivity if i plug them in seperate (all but one of them are ignored).

i can however plug one of the non connected ones in directly to the amlogic usb kodi box if that helps?

Thanks again. I really appreciate the guidance.

ssh.txt

• You should end up with 3 links posted - tbh I've tried to post 3 examples from my pi and I can't get them to show up, so no idea what's going on.

One last go:

Edited 2 times, last by trogggy (December 31, 2017 at 6:13 PM).

• What exactly should I be typing into putty?

If I type 'blkid | paste' as above.

It doesn't respond with anything - well, it gives an internal server error which makes me think I'm missing something. Especially as he says 'sprunge.us website still works' but I'm not putting that anywhere??

Sorry, but I'm not great with this kind of stuff.

• It's not you. Just checked and I get the same error, which I guess is a problem with the sprunge.us site (it worked an hour ago).

It's just a paste site, though, you can link to any.

eg if I stick 'blkid' in putty and hit return I get some text back. Select that and copy with ctrl-c, go to pastebin.com, paste the text and hit 'create new paste' and I have:

blkid