Upgraded from 8.0.2 to 8.2.1 and no video playback

• Just upgraded from 8.0.2 to 8.2.1.

Two issues:

1) remote was acting strange, doing double keystrokes. This was fixed by turning off lirc. At the time, playback did work ok.

2) Since I turned off lirc, I have been unable to playback any videos from USB or youtube. I turned lirc back on, but still no playback.

Repeated the upgrade, still no playback. USB drives are available and files show properly, but nothing will play.

• Are the USB drives attached to the LE box or to a Windows box somewhere else in the network? .. if it's a Windows box lirc has nothing to do with this, but you need to go read the 8.2.1 release notes section on SMB changes.

• The USB drives are attached to the LE box directly (via a 8 port USB hub). I have, even though I didn't think it mattered, changed the min SMB version to 1, but no effect on this issue.

The motherboard is an ASROCK single board computer and video is via HDMI. No h/w changes at all.

Interestingly, I can play video from this LE box, when I attach to it from a Mac running Kodi 17.6. So, it would appear that the filesystem is functioning correctly on the server LE box. Must be something with the player? Music won't play either, so I'm thinking not a video issue per se.

Edited once, last by zigzag666 (December 26, 2017 at 7:01 AM).

• Ok, some additional information. I see that another user has reported a very similar issue. He said that he could play videos if he used the context menu, play using: video player. I hadn't tried that previously, but just gave it a try. Yes - it works for me too.

With that being said, I believe I will join that thread to consolidate the effort to figure this out.

• So, I was posting to the other thread about this problem and now the thread is closed? Really? I am trying to get this box cleaned up and asked for help. I've been an active participant in several Kodi forums and other (non-LibreElec) forums and never felt such a lack of love....

I'd like to continue using LibreElec, but don't want to do a hard re-install. I am wanting to remove the "crap where" and asked how to get rid of it. I've uninstalled all the add-ons and repositories listed in the "term of agreement" for support. SO - is there any assistance available here?

• I'd like to continue using LibreElec, but don't want to do a hard re-install. I am wanting to remove the "crap where" and asked how to get rid of it. I've uninstalled all the add-ons and repositories listed in the "term of agreement" for support. SO - is there any assistance available here?

So, do a backup to preserve yor current settings, etc., so you can revert later as needed. Then do a clean install. Then reproduce the problem with a debug log.

If the problem still exists (it may, or it may not, depending on many factors) then people may be more responsive to a genuine problem. Much of the crapware complained about has two main issues. Firstly it often supports the illegal acquisition of content, something which both the Kodi and LibrELEC teams rightly take a firm stand against. It pisses off some of us regular users as well. Second, it frequently screws up functions within Kodi which otherwise work just fine. Just removing these add-ons may not in all cases remove the damage caused by their earlier installation - hence the repeated requests for a clean installation. It is an essential part of debugging to be able to isolate different pieces of code to see where a problem may lie.

• So, do a backup to preserve yor current settings, etc., so you can revert later as needed. Then do a clean install. Then reproduce the problem with a debug log.

If the problem still exists (it may, or it may not, depending on many factors) then people may be more responsive to a genuine problem. Much of the crapware complained about has two main issues. Firstly it often supports the illegal acquisition of content, something which both the Kodi and LibrELEC teams rightly take a firm stand against. It pisses off some of us regular users as well. Second, it frequently screws up functions within Kodi which otherwise work just fine. Just removing these add-ons may not in all cases remove the damage caused by their earlier installation - hence the repeated requests for a clean installation. It is an essential part of debugging to be able to isolate different pieces of code to see where a problem may lie.

Thank you. I have decided to try a soft reset first. This did clean up the issue as I expected it would. Several hours to restore all libraries, etc - but I am now using only kodi and libreelec repositories for add-ons. So far, things are working as expected. I was looking for some suggestion on how to remove the "crapware" as I could not figure out how to get rid of it. I removed the repositories and all offending add-on, but apparently some artifacts remained.

Anyway, for the time being this issue has been resolved.