How to create a smb share to libreelec with mount point at root level?

• Hi, upgraded to libreelec 8.2 and I have a working smb share setup via /etc/fstab which maps my external HDD (/media/HDD/). Now I also want to mount one level higher. Previously I mounted through Nautilus in Ubuntu with Connect to network but that doesn't work anymore (SMB2/SMB3). Is this possible? How to mount / or /storage as a fixed smb mount point. Thx, Zach

• Go to Best Answer
  • Hi DaVu, thx for your help. What I want to do is to add a permanent share in Ubuntu to my rpi2. One share is up and running (the one that directly accesses my HDD attached to the rpi). Now I also want to add a permanent share to /libreelec/storage or something like that. With 8.01 (still supporting SMB1.0) I was able to browse the share (I know because of security reasons this isn't possible anymore). But I still need access to /storage/.update for instance so I want to also setup a share that allows me to copy files to these locations from Nautilus. Somehow I can't succesfully add a working line to fstab to achieve this. Any help? Thx Zach

• What I want to do is to add a permanent share in Ubuntu to my rpi2

So we have a Ubuntu problem and not a LibreELEC problem here? ;)

LibreELEC already shares specific folders via SMB. Those should can be accessed via:

accessing_libreelec [LibreELEC]

(search for the Ubuntu section)

Not all subfolders in /storage/ are shared via SMB by default. .kodi for example is not. /storage/ itself should be accessed by the IP to the RPi.

But you can easily create your own share:

Just ssh in into LibreELEC and switch to /storage/: cd /storage/

create the share-folder: mkdir my_great_share_folder

switch to the folder: cd /storage/.config

Inside that folder search for a file called: samba.conf.sample

Rename that file via mv to samba.conf: mv samba.conf.sample samba.conf

Then edit the file. You will see a lot of shares which exist by default. Just take one of them as a template and change the specific things which will lead to the folder you just created. I guess it's pretty obvious which needs to be change. If it's not, then just mention which sections are unclear.

I also plan to write a wiki for that specific part. Hopefully I will find the time soon to create it.

• To give a concrete example, having created samba.conf based on samba.conf.sample, add the following to the end:

For access to /storage:

Code
    [Storage]
      path = /storage
      available = yes
      browsable = yes
      public = yes
      writable = yes

For access to the root folder:

Code
    [Root]
      path = /
      available = yes
      browsable = yes
      public = yes
      writable = yes

then restart smbd with "systemctl restart smbd", or reboot, and the new share(s) should be visible in your client machine.