Problem with MySQL database, picture not showing and movies not available

• Hi,

My new ODROID-C2 with LibreELEC 8.2.1 is not showing movie pictures and the movies won't start after configuring advancedsettings.xml with MySQL information. The advancedsettings.xml is working on a Windows 10 machine so I take for granted the information is correct.

PROCEDURE I DID :

- I've just updated my Windows 7 PC #1 from Kodi 16.2 to Kodi 17.6 using MySQL database on the same machine = OK

- Updated my 2nd Windows 10 PC #2 from Kodi 16.2 to Kodi 17.6 using the same MySQL database from PC #1 = OK

- Installed a fresh install of LibreELEC 8.2.1 using Kodi 17.6 on my new ODROID-C2 = No picture and movies won't play

HOW I WORK

- I use custom .NFO per movie folder and I scrape using the LOCAL INFORMATION ONLY (NFO)

PROBLEM I ENCOUNTER IN LIBREELEC SO FAR

- The SMB:// does not show any folders by default. I need to add manually smb://lesalon/movies when trying the Add videos... option (I know I do not need to use it the way I work with the MySQL database but I did a test anyway and it does not work out of the box). With this technique, I did reach my movies library so I think I might have a network problem. (SMB:// is working fine on my Windows 10 machine)

- Then I use the "Refresh" function, the poster art appears but when I try to start the movie, nothing happen.

- If I click on Information on a movie, before of after using the Refresh option, I see the correct path : "smb://lesalon/movies/NAME-OF-THE-MOVIE/NAME-OF-THE-MOVIE.mkv

- If I add a movie manually with the Video > Files > Add videos ... > smb://lesalon/movies/NAME-OF-THE-MOVIE/NAME-OF-THE-MOVIE.mkv and I start it from this new source, it work ! The path is still the same as always and works : smb://lesalon/movies/...

LOG

FaMP

PICTURES

Windows 10 - Kodi 17.6 - MySQL database

Kodi_17.6_no_bug_zpsza7gve8o.png

LibreELEC 8.2.1

LibreElec8.2.1_bug_zpssq9kf5r6.png

Thanks and sorry for the long post !

patriccote

Edited 2 times, last by patriccote (November 30, 2017 at 11:38 AM).

• The MySQL database is not the problem, it's running fine:

Code
    04:01:20.414 T:547742544096  NOTICE: Running database version MyMusic60
    04:01:20.430 T:547742544096  NOTICE: Running database version MyVideos107

The problem is likely the SMB connection. Recently we made LibreELEC use SMBv2 as default. It's probably your Windows(?) server still using SMBv1.

You can either upgrade your server to use a much more secure SMBv2 connection, or try to make LibreELEC use/accept SMBv1 connections, which can be set in LE's Settings addon.

• patriccote: Read the 8.2.1 announcement as this contains details about the Samba changes. Network browsing is no longer supported, and you must add a username/password to any Windows Samba server share (anonymous access to shares is no longer supported). If you've already added the sources on one client then just copy sources.xml to all your other clients, there's no need to re-add them via the GUI. If you've already created passwords.xml then copy that file too.

You haven't explained what your "lesalon" server is - is it Windows or something else? The default SMB client settings in LibreELEC 8.2.1 should work with most modern Samba servers (including Windows 7+) but old insecure Samba 3.x servers can cause problems.

I don't see any attempt to access smb:// content in your Kodi log. There are no errors, nothing useful.

Make sure you enable the Advanced or Expert settings level to access the Services > SMB client settings.

• Hi everybody,

PROBLEM SOLVED !

After reading chewitt post, I went to Services > SMB Client and enter the following information :

- WINS server : 0.0.0.0

- Minimum protocol version SMBv1

- Maximum protocol version SMBv1

- Use legacy security = false

Everythig's working now.

milhouse thanks a lot for the detailed information. My "lesalon" server is a WIndows 7 Ultimate. I tried to read about enabling SMBv2 but unfortunately, I did not find the way to do it. I will look into this a little bit later. If you have any information or links about activating SMBv2 on Windows 7 Ultimate, feel free to write it there, I will gladly look into this !

Thanks again everybody, another well served and happy customer =) Keep up the good work !

patriccote

• SMB2 should be active on your Windows 7 PC by default, but this guide describes how to enable/disable SMB1/SMB2 if for some reason your SMB2 support is not enabled. You should definitely consider disabling SMB1 support in both client and server.

Your LibreELEC client should connect successfully to your Windows 7 share (with SMB2 server support enabled) with the following settings:

Code
    WINS server : 0.0.0.0
    Minimum protocol version: SMBv2Maximum protocol version: NoneUse legacy security = false

as this would configure LibreELEC to connect using a minimum protocol of SMB2_10 (aka SMB 2.10), and maximum up to (currently) SMB3_11 (aka SMB 3.11) which is the default maximum protocol for the Samba client in LibreELEC. The above settings will avoid establishing SMB1 connections which are a widely exploited security risk - even when the server has no support for SMB1 if the client is configured to even attempt to establish an SMB1 connection then SMB1 can still be exploited (think: WannaCry).

As Windows 7 does not support better than SMB2_10 you will connect only with SMB2_10 when communicating with a Windows 7 server using the above settings. However if in future you add another more recent server, eg. Windows 10, then with the above settings you would automatically start to establish SMB3_11 connections with that server.

If the above settings do not work with your Windows 7 PC then you've not configured the SMB sharing in the server as per the release notes (eg. not added username/password and enabled password protection in the server).