Cannot connect to a wifi router

• I have a USB WIFI-adapter ALFA AWUS036NHA (firmware AR9271) and run LibreELEC on a Raspberry Pi 512 Mb. When I attempt to connect to a WPA2-encrypted wifi network I get the message "Network Error. "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote app[...]". The connection state displayed is Association. When I continue to navigate the left menu and return to available networks tab there are no items to be displayed.

I cannot connect to Raspberry Pi via any wireless or wired network (need to setup an L2TP onnection in a latter case) so I have run out of options. Testing Build of v.8 doesnt work either.

I have never had such an issue with previous OpenELEC builds.

• I know this is an older topic, however I ran into the same issue today.

I bought a new RPI 2, installed LE 8.0.0 and put in a "EDIMAX EW-7811UN"-Wireless-USB-Adapter.

When I try to connect to my fritzbox (after I entered the correct password [WPA+WPA2]), it drops the same message: "Network Error. "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote app[...]".

Some experience with this?

Edited once, last by eusi (March 3, 2017 at 8:28 AM).

• I know this is an older topic, however I ran into the same issue today.

I bought a new RPI 2, installed LE 8.0.0 and put in a "EDIMAX EW-7811UN"-Wireless-USB-Adapter.

When I try to connect to my fritzbox (after I entered the correct password [WPA+WPA2]), it drops the same message: "Network Error. "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote app[...]".

Some experience with this?

Same here with TP-Link TL-WN8200ND (Realtek 2357:0100 chipset 8192cu)

• Most of the time that error is just a red herring and the wifi will actually connect if you try it again.

• Most of the time that error is just a red herring and the wifi will actually connect if you try it again.

Believe me, I tried tens of times and it does not associate. Even opening the AP, without WPA2.

Connman does not create the folder in /storage/.cache/connman so I manually created it, with the proper mac address, by adapting another one I had from a thumb adapter; it still does not associate. An android AP is also no good.

LE does however work very well with a thumb adapter I have that uses the 8192eu driver which, by the way, did not work with OE 6 because the driver was not included. I then compiled OE from source with the driver included and it worked. This was solved by OE 7.

EDIT: In GitHub - pvaret/rtl8192cu-fixes: Realtek 8192 chipset driver, ported to kernel 3.11.
    These devices are known not to be supported:

• Alfa AWUS036NHR
    • TP-Link WN8200ND <=== my own

Devices that use dual antennas are known not to work well. This appears to be an issue in the upstream Realtek driver.
    EofEdit

Relevant dmesg of association trial:

Edited once, last by jssilva (March 11, 2017 at 12:01 PM).

Yes you are right. It works for me. However getting an error does not feel right. And even it does work, I need to enter it very often, because LE does not save my wifi connection correctly. Even I got a star on the connection, it does not auto connect to it and requires the password. Maybe there is a link between this wifi-error and that my LE doesn't want to save the wifi password.

Believe me, I tried tens of times and it does not associate. Even opening the AP, without WPA2.

Connman does not create the folder in /storage/.cache/connman so I manually created it, with the proper mac address, by adapting another one I had from a thumb adapter; it still does not associate. An android AP is also no good.

How long do you need to enter the password? About 2 minutes or much faster?
    Connman fires also this "error" notification if it took too long to enter the correct password. In connman config you can increase the 120sec up to your desired timeout.

Edited once, last by eusi (March 13, 2017 at 8:28 AM).

• How long do you need to enter the password? About 2 minutes or much faster?
    Connman fires also this "error" notification if it took too long to enter the correct password. In connman config you can increase the 120sec up to your desired timeout.

No, it's not that I'm afraid. I noticed the time limit and so I attached a keyboard to make the entry much faster.

Thank you for helping, though.

• No, it's not that I'm afraid. I noticed the time limit and so I attached a keyboard to make the entry much faster.

Thank you for helping, though.

This error "Network Error. Did not receive a reply" appears to be an issue with LibreElect because it does not happen OSMC install on either raspberry pi2 or raspberry pi3. This not a red herring.
    [hr]

Most of the time that error is just a red herring and the wifi will actually connect if you try it again.

This error "Network Error. Did not receive a reply" appears to be an issue with LibreElec because it does not happen in OSMC install with Kodi on either raspberry pi2 or raspberry pi3. This not a red herring

Edited once, last by Charles (March 18, 2017 at 9:02 PM).

• This error "Network Error. Did not receive a reply" appears to be an issue with LibreElect because it does not happen OSMC install on either raspberry pi2 or raspberry pi3. This not a red herring.
    [hr]

This error "Network Error. Did not receive a reply" appears to be an issue with LibreElec because it does not happen in OSMC install with Kodi on either raspberry pi2 or raspberry pi3. This not a red herring

I would like to second that… For me (being on a RPi3), it worked until I updated to LibreElec 8 -
    only since then, I´m getting that error. Under Verbindungen/(Connections) it says "Status: idle", on the right corner there is the locking sign with a "71".
    LAN is no problem, and even when LAN is attached, I do not get an IP Adress for the WLAN (if I remember right, it got two addresses under LibreElec 7).

Several tests with switching it off/on, with and without restarts in between did not show an effect.