[SOLVED] Dropped frames caused by subtitle rendering

• bit4freak The issue was not resolved in Krypton and will probably never be. Kodi developers no longer update Krypton and I doubt any of us has knowledge to backport huge Leia changes.

No one expects fixes in Krypton. Bad news it's still in Leia. It occurs less frequently but it's still there.

The 2 of my samples and logs are coming from newest Leia build.

• SAMPLE 2 - 70a1jpifn105tupg4homm88zcph8v2tx

LOG: Ubuntu Pastebin

LOG2: Ubuntu Pastebin

This sample is tricky because it can play flawlessly couple of times but eventually it will stutter in the moment the test subs show on the screen.

test platform: TX5 PRO S905X, LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.90.1 running from SD Card.

Your issue has nothing to do with subtitles rendering. Subtitle rendering issue was identified in S912 caused by libhybris emulator.

In first LOG is no skips, perfect playback, most of frames prepared for rendering 80 ms (2 frames ahead). Render loop, only time critical thread, is fast enough ( 5-10ms) and most of frame time (41ms) is waiting in poll-frame. In second LOG2 are 6 frame skips after ~500ms lost of playback control. Probably another background task heavy loads CPUs. You can try to enable all component specific debugging to see offender.

• Your issue has nothing to do with subtitles rendering. In second LOG2 are 6 frame skips after ~500ms lost of playback control.

In the second log I've played the file couple of times so it's messy.

I will make a third log, this time using the first sample from Star Trek and will enable all components.

Something causes these stutters because exactly the same samples or any other video files without subs are playing like a charm.

OK. Two logs again using this sample

LOG1: there was 1 visible stutter - Ubuntu Pastebin

LOG2: sample played stutter free - Ubuntu Pastebin

Maybe there will be some differences between the two that will allow to identify the issue.

Last build that was free from this was kszaqs Jarvis-7.0.3.012l

• No one expects fixes in Krypton. Bad news it's still in Leia. It occurs less frequently but it's still there.

The 2 of my samples and logs are coming from newest Leia build.

I feel for you bro, but I really don't encounter subtitle stuttering on our S905X boxes. 99 percent of the movies we watch have external .srt and it plays fine. I don't have S912 to test.

• I really don't encounter subtitle stuttering on our S905X boxes. 99 percent of the movies we watch have external .srt and it plays fine.

Confirm - 100% of my english videos have external(.srt) subtitles and playing fine on my S905X boxes - last video watched yesterday

I have a S912 running LE 8.2 - will do some tests later - S912 is currently rarely used

• Confirm - 100% of my english videos have external(.srt) subtitles and playing fine on my S905X boxes - last video watched yesterday

I have a S912 running LE 8.2 - will do some tests later - S912 is currently rarely used

Tim_Taylor, I also encounter minor stuttering in beginning of the movie (only first line of the subtitles) in my nexbox S905X but after that no stuttering visible. Kindly mention your subtitles font, size and colour?

• Only for explaining S912 subtitles issue. Letter rendering cost relatively lot of time. Rendered letters are cached and next rendering is then fast. Typically stuttering can appear at the begin of movie or at font changes ( italics).

• Typically stuttering can appear at the begin of movie or at font changes (italics).

And this is exactly where stutterings appear. With the difference that it's not only on S912 but S905X too.

Option: configure subtitle settings to default until kodi developer fixed it in leia

Tested with default subtitles settings and the problem persists.

Some of you won't notice it at all. I've found only couple of files where it can be seen. Other videos play OK and even when there are stutters they are unnoticeable during watching.

Hope it will be fixed in final Leia build.