[SOLVED] Dropped frames caused by subtitle rendering

• I checked my files I have watched

23.976 clips @720p and @1080p

Subtitles are external .srt

Working fine

On what device and build ? Did you checked the sample I've provided ?

It's easy to notice with that. In most videos you won't easly notice it if the scene doesn't have much movement when the stuttering occurs.

• On what device and build ? Did you checked the sample I've provided ?

1. Vorke Z6 S912 3/32 Gb - Pioneer SC-LX501 - Sony KD-55xd8505 TV(4k HDR) - LE 8.2 for S912(Version 8.2.0.1)

2. Beelink mini mxiii-ii S905X 2/16 Gb - Yamaha RX-V467 - Samsung FHD TV - LE 8.2 for S905(Version 8.2.0.1)

Codec info reports 0 drops

But ... Your sample doesn´t use external subtitles.

Could You try .srt ?

• 1. Vorke Z6 S912 3/32 Gb - Pioneer SC-LX501 - Sony KD-55xd8505 TV(4k HDR) - LE 8.2 for S912(Version 8.2.0.1)

2. Beelink mini mxiii-ii S905X 2/16 Gb - Yamaha RX-V467 - Samsung FHD TV - LE 8.2 for S905(Version 8.2.0.1)

Codec info reports 0 drops

But ... Your sample doesn´t use external subtitles.

Could You try .srt ?

Will try when I'm home. Despite the fact that codec info doesn't show dropped frames did you SEE it with the muxed subtitles in my sample ?

• Despite the fact that codec info doesn't show dropped frames did you SEE it with the muxed subtitles in my sample ?

The sample isn´t running smooth kodi

Crosscheck: VLC and MPC -> better

Internal KODI videoplayer don´t like this kind of rendered subtitles :-/

Next step:

I will mux subtitles to a video which is playing smooth with .srt

• The sample isn´t running smooth kodi

Crosscheck: VLC and MPC -> better

Internal KODI videoplayer don´t like this kind of rendered subtitles :-/

Next step:

I will mux subtitles to a video which is playing smooth with .srt

I'm looking forward for your results as for me it did stutter just as much when I used external .srt for the sample. ( Even remuxed it fisrt so it doesn't contain the subtitle )

P.S : I've discovered the weirdest thing ever !!!

As soon as I bring up the codecinfo ( the one where you can see the number of dropped and skipped frames etc. ) the stuttering stops !

I've tested it like 5 times with the same results.

Edited 2 times, last by avirex (November 21, 2017 at 9:01 PM).

• Practical tests yesterday evening:

Watching some videos with external subtitles together with my wife, we did not notice anything.

Media info:

Display Spoiler

Format : Matroska

Format version : Version 4 / Version 2

File size : 891 MiB

Duration : 42 min 48 s

Overall bit rate : 2 911 kb/s

Encoded date : UTC 2017-10-11 00:18:16

Writing application : FastLE v3.0.0 - AVS

Writing library : libx264 + libebml + libmatroska + libfastrar

Video

ID : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : [email protected]

Format settings : CABAC / 5 Ref Frames

Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Format settings, RefFrames : 5 frames

Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

Duration : 42 min 48 s

Bit rate : 2 469 kb/s

Width : 1 280 pixels

Height : 720 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Frame rate mode : Constant

Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.112

Stream size : 756 MiB (85%)

Writing library : x264 core 152 r2851 ba24899

Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=22 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Default : Yes

Forced : No

Color range : Limited

Matrix coefficients : BT.709

• Yeah some videos isn't really good source here. If the scene doesn't have a lot of movement when the sub is displayed you won't likely notice it. That's why I've uploaded the sample. It should be easy to notice there.

• Hi! This is my first post in the forum..

I've just got a Minix U9-H to replace my RPi3 in the living room because I'm getting a Atmos receiver and later a 4k tv and I needed passthrough.

So far I'm very impressed with the capabilities of the device... there is just this subtitles problem. I've been testing this today:

1. In my case: every x264 encode has the issue, with srt or sub/idx. Sometimes is very noticeable, sometimes is very subtle, ... but it's always there.

2. It gets better with "sync display" but it's still there.

3. Pressing Ctrl+Shift+O brings the advanced codec info.. and this gets rid of the problem somehow.

4. I downloaded a x265 4k movie with PGS subtitles, no problem at all.. downloaded srt subtitles for this same movie -> problem

I don't think I have noticed this with my RPi3.. besides the first 2 seconds when you activate the subtitle..

The logs don't recognize this as a drop frame. It looks more like a buffering problem.. sometimes looks like frame drops and sometimes looks like a very quick acceleration..

Why doesn't it happen with PGS subtitles?.. why does it stop when we press Crtl+Shift+O?

I hope kszaq can help.. let me know if I can help somehow..

• I'm more or less in the same position as c_g_f - new Minix U9-H arrived yesterday. It is working at least as good as Pi3, Odroid or Wetek with the added bonus of HDR. I'm really impressed.

I never really noticed the subtitles/dropped frames problem with .srt-files on the other boxes, but on the Minix U9 you cannot help but see it. And it definitely is connected with the subtitles, because with subtitles disabled there are no dropped frames. Did not try it with PGS, because I avoid them (they are too huge and distracting for me)

If there's anything I can do to help - sorry, I'm no developer - just let me/us know-

• As stated here: [BUG] Frame skips caused by forced subtitles the bug won't be fixed in Krypton. We can hope that Leia will be better in that regard.

I've been using Krypton with srt subtitles on RPi1, RPi3 and Cubox without a problem. Maybe there are jumps sometimes but it's rare. But with Minix U9 they're always there.

I've also noticed that sometimes when you press "O" for info, the same problem occurs. I wonder if the theme overlay is the responsible. I will test with another theme this evening and let you know.

Can someone recommend another 4K HDR box capable of passthrough Atmos? Vero 4K?

Thanks

• Hopefully it can be fixed and we don't have to sell this otherwise superb box.

The kodi developer peak3d reopened my bug report after giving him some additional info in their forum but he wrote basically that the fix should come from LE.

"Can you pls. ask in LE Forum how to set the GPU Governor and set it to something High like Perfrmance? From what you tell it seems that waking up GPU clock could lead to the issues.

kszaq should be able to track the issue, 80% of the log lines in your log are not vanilla kodi, so he's playing around there. If he modifies the code, he should be able to support this issue."

I'm not a developer but isn't somehow the fact helpfull to solve the issue that the stuttering vanishes as long you have codecinfo (PlayerDebug) on screen ?