[SOLVED] Dropped frames caused by subtitle rendering

• I also have S905X and see the stutters very often. It would be great if stuttering appear only once at the beginning but it stutters also when italic subs are displayed. And then once again when regular and so over and over again.

Mostly they're micro stutters, barely visible and sometime they're more noticeable.

Kszaq said it will be fixed in Leia.

The bug is still present in adamg 8.90.1 which is Leia but it's in alpha stage.

If not... well, there's still flawless Jarvis build.

• I also have S905X and see the stutters very often. It would be great if stuttering appear only once at the beginning but it stutters also when italic subs are displayed. And then once again when regular and so over and over again.

Mostly they're micro stutters, barely visible and sometime they're more noticeable.

Kszaq said it will be fixed in Leia.

The bug is still present in adamg 8.90.1 which is Leia but it's in alpha stage.

If not... well, there's still flawless Jarvis build.

Pls, publish kodi debug log with component specific debug: video and a/v timing. Also video sample we'll be welcome.

• Pls, publish kodi debug log with component specific debug: video and a/v timing. Also video sample we'll be welcome.

Here's the sample file and log. I've run it twice and the stutter is visible in the "My name is Captain James Teberius Kirk" moment :)

There is a 1 in 15 times chance that the file will play stutter free. It's very random and mostly fresh after restart or changing something in the playback settings.

To reproduce just play the file on default settings with enabled Adjust Display Refresh Rate. Stop and play it again. If you don't stop the file and just rewind it to the begining it will play stutter free.

le_8.90.1-subtitles_stutter_sample+log

Edited once, last by yatoya (January 9, 2018 at 1:03 AM).

• Here's the sample file and log. I've run it twice and the stutter is visible in the "My name is Captain James Teberius Kirk" moment :)

There is a 1 in 15 times chance that the file will play stutter free. It's very random and mostly fresh after restart or changing something in the playback settings.

To reproduce just play the file on default settings with enabled Adjust Display Refresh Rate. Stop and play it again. If you don't stop the file and just rewind it to the begining it will play stutter free.

just tested your sample.mkv, on s905x running 8.90.1 (internal) and 8.2.2.3 (sd) and there is no stutter.

• just tested your sample.mkv, on s905x running 8.90.1 (internal) and 8.2.2.3 (sd) and there is no stutter.

Did you run the sample more than once from beginning to an end without backwards rewinding?

Are you playing the sample in 24p mode?

Do you have enabled any motion enhancement in TV settings?

What kind of font do you use to view subtitles in Kodi and what size?

What do you use to play videos? Is it external HDD, LAN, NAS?

I'm playing it via LAN.

I will make a video of my TV later playing the sample.

Edited once, last by yatoya (January 9, 2018 at 1:24 PM).

• Here's the sample file and log. I've run it twice and the stutter is visible in the "My name is Captain James Teberius Kirk" moment :)

You have to enable Amlogic HW acceleration!

Settings->Player->Videos->Allow hardware acceleration-amcodec.

• You have to enable Amlogic HW acceleration!

Settings->Player->Videos->Allow hardware acceleration-amcodec.

No, really. Lets be serious about this. I'm not that stupid to turn HW acceleration off. Is that what my log says?

It's on.

I told you it does play stutter free from time to time. Give it anothet try. Watch something different and then watch the sample again.

Here is the video ive made with a phone. Quality is awful but you cen clearly see the stutter and video settings.

begfmjkq0sth6grlvlp2rc5s7km9ko5d

• I am serious. Verify your playback by OSD debug log (CTRL-SHIFT-O) of OSD info (key O ). For sw decoding there will be ff-hevc for HW decoding am-h265. Also you can see # drops and skips (only for HW decoding). In your log totally missing AMLCodec logs. In your log for HW decoding have to something similar to this

• I am serious. Verify your playback by OSD debug log (CTRL-SHIFT-O) of OSD info (key O ). For sw decoding there will be ff-hevc for HW decoding am-h265. Also you can see # drops and skips (only for HW decoding). In your log totally missing AMLCodec logs.

That makes no sense. Have you seen my video where you can see that HW decoding is ON?

I can't read logs. Maybe I've posted wrong log?

This one was in .kodi/temp

There are some zipped files in the

Logfiles folder

es0t1lvxjshvo8v88kemp7t5mpbtw7ij

Edited once, last by yatoya (January 10, 2018 at 1:49 AM).

• Sorry I am wasting time with you. I am answering only serious bug reporting. And if my suggestion make no sense you have to help yourself.

Dude, what suggestion? This one? (pics). That does make no sense if you say HW decoder is off and I know for sure it's on.

It's ON. ALWAYS ON.

What unserious is about it?

Why would I turn off HW decoding?

I bought this box for HW decoding.

This bug has been reported by some users. It has nothing to do with h265. Subs causes stuttering with h264 as well.

DSC_20180110_020532_278.jpgDSC_20180110_014742_099.jpg

Edited 4 times, last by yatoya (January 10, 2018 at 1:58 AM).

• Just to answer, Tested using Tx3 and X96 box, both have S905X with 1GB ram. We always play movies with subs, and no stuttering.

1. Yes, played the sample more than once, no stuttering

2. Yes, Refresh rate adjustment turned on

3. No

4. I only use Default font and skin, no changes on the settings

5. Copied your file to my NAS and played it via Wireless

• Thanks for letting know. Last thing I didn't check is wireless. Worth checking. I'd be surprised if it was network bug though.

• I downloaded sample from yatoya and before each subtitle I have stuttering. The same stuttering as you can see in his video (captured from TV).

Minix NEO U9-H (S912)

LE 8.2.2.3 (autoupdated) on Samsung SD EVO card

Kodi 17.6

There is still the same problem on all movies with subtitles :( (internal in MKV or external SRT). It is very noticeable and annoying.

HW decoding - ON (100%)

Movies without subtitles plays OK.

The same sample on Android with KODI 17.6 plays without stuttering.

• You think it's a KODI problem? The same version of KODI (17.6 - Krypton) on Android works OK.

LE for S905 with the same version (17.6) is also OK.

Only LE for S912 stutters.

Did I miss something?

• This bug is present in all Krypton builds for Amlogic chips.

It seems like early builds of Leia have it as well.

I will share another sample and log later. This time standard h264 video where the stuttering is even more visible.