Cannot connect to SMB after updating to 8.2.1 - How do I roll back?

• Hi.

I was having some issues with Kodi so I thought updating to the newest version was a good idea.

However I was wrong.

I have been locked out of my RPi as I can no longer connect through SMB.

I have never fiddled with the settings of my RPi. I got it from my father in law who had set it up and since then I have updated it a few times through SMB and update files.

I managed to get my fingers on some older versions 8.0.2 (LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.2.img.gz) and 8.1.2 (LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.1.2.img.gz) but I don't know if they are different from 8.2.1 when it comes to SMB.

How do I make a roll back to a version where I can use SMB again? (I found that a lot of changes were implemented in 8.2.1 when it comes to SMB and I doubt I am ready to fiddle with that as of right now.

I have access through SSH (WinSCP) but I can't find the "Update" folder. I am located in "/<root>".

I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance!

• Hey Zeliax,

I had the same problem after I updated to 8.2. I could not get an SMB connection to work from my Windows 7 PC to my Libreelec NUC, or to the Windows 7 Shares from the NUC. I tried reading the release notes and searching on here and the Kodi site, but I could not find a solution that would restore the SMB. So, I rolled back to version 8.0.2, which is the last release with the older SMB configuration.

I placed the 8.0.2 gz into the \storage\.update directory over SSH and did a CLI reboot from Putty. I can now use SMB both ways. It would be very helpful if there were a step wise tutorial on how to setup the newer SMB connectivity to and from the Libreelec PC and a Windows 7 or 10 PC.

Please post if your figure it out.

• Read through the thread linked below and ask questions if you don't understand:

8.0.2 to 8.2.0 update problem(s)

By the way - I feel the same way about the release notes. They are a jumbled mess. The developers don't seem to understand that not everyone here is an expert in that stuff. We really need a basic, easy-to-understand step-by-step SMB guide for novices. A YouTube video would really be helpful too.

• Blueribb, thanks for the link. I found that thread when I tried to figure this out before. I'm not clear regarding everything a Windows 7 user needs to do, since this thread talks about Windows 10. I understand how to add a network user and password if that is mandatory, but did not want to spend the time then.

I do have some questions though.

- Do you have to enter the password everytime you connect from the Libreelec PC to the Windows PC share?

- Can you map your Libreelec PC as a network drive in Windows Explorer file manager on your Windows PC?

I like to use my Powerdesk file manager to map to the Libreelec NUC via SMB and transfer files, etc.. that way. I know how to edit the SMB.conf file to allow the Libreelec directories to be seen over smb

Thanks for any info.

• You only have to enter the password once

Yes, you can map the LE PC as a network drive

• Thanks Blueribb,

I made up a list of tasks to do in order to configure the newer version of Libreelec SMB to work the way I prefer. Which is to access the Windows share with file manager, etc.., and be able to map the Libreelec PC Storage as a network drive on the Windows PC. Would you please review and let me know if you think the process will work?

1. Setup new user account/password in Windows 7 and add new user access to the existing Windows share directories.

2. Update Libreelec version on Libreelec PC

3. Add PC SMB share path to Libreelec as smb://<IP of my Windows 7 share PC>

4. Add the Windows 7 share to Libreelec PC using the new user account name and password from the Windows 7 PC.

5. To allow mapping of Libreelec PC as a network drive on the Windows 7 PC:

SSH into Libreelec from Windows 7 PC with a Program such as Filezilla, and copy the 'samba.conf.sample' file from \storage\.config\

6. Edit this file with a basic text editor to include a section that adds the path to the Libreelec storage and/or other directories as needed

7. Save the edited file as 'samba.conf' and use SSH to copy the modified 'samba.conf' file to \storage \.config\ on the Libreelec PC

8. Reboot Libreelec PC.

• This drove me crazy, since I was able to go into File Explorer and see most of my files on my ChromeBox, my windows 10 PC crashed I did a fresh install of Windows, and could not get back into File Explorer read thread after thread and all the post that actually did not help, YES I know samba 1 is NG, this does not stop the fact that many users are in the dark.

OK, how to fix, in LibreElec>>Programs>>LibreElec>>Services>>Minimum supported protocol>>>SMB1 & Maximum supported protocol>>>SMB1

Now on your Windows PC, Open Control Panel click Programs, and then click Turn Windows features on or off (under the Programs heading). Check the check box for SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support, You should now be able to open File Explorer, type \\YOUR.KODI.BOX.IP.ADDRESS\

and see all the heavenly glory.

As stated before doing so is not safe from the CIA, FBI and NSA, along with the many unscrupulous folks out there. So beware.

• read thread after thread and all the post that actually did not help, YES I know samba 1 is NG, this does not stop the fact that many users are in the dark.

Since fresh installs of Windows 10 disable SMB1 support, and also no longer allow anonymous access to shares, did you try leaving the LibreELEC Server min/max protocol as default SMB2/SMB3, and simply enable "Use Samba Password authentication" then set a suitable username/password? That should have worked.

Re-enabling SMB1 is simply bad advice when the client is Windows 10.

• Since fresh installs of Windows 10 disable SMB1 support, and also no longer allow anonymous access to shares, did you try leaving the LibreELEC Server min/max protocol as default SMB2/SMB3, and simply enable "Use Samba Password authentication" then set a suitable username/password? That should have worked.

Re-enabling SMB1 is simply bad advice when the client is Windows 10.

Sorry for the delay milhouse (BTW love reading any post of yours) I just did as you suggested and yes this works, will now bring all my ChromeBox back to default SMB2/SMB, thank you very much.

• I just found this today in libreelec 8.2.2 RPi.arm the samba.conf.example has typos that prevent it from working.

browseable and writeable are missing the "e". So if you follow directions and edit it to be /storage/.config/samba.conf samba will not work unless you add those "e"s.

One thing that keeps being forgotten is that in windows file explorer you must type "\\libreelec" or whatever your url is into the address bar. Then as if by magic ........

• browseable and writeable are missing the "e". So if you follow directions and edit it to be /storage/.config/samba.conf samba will not work unless you add those "e"s.

Actually, browsable and writable are accepted synonyms for "browseable" and "writeable" in Samba, so without the "e" these properties do work as expected.

However, I will correct this in master by adding the missing "e" if only to be consistent as we include the "e" in [global] but not the individual shares, and also because the spelling with "e" is the documented property rather than just a synonym.

It appears the spelling without the "e" is favoured by US English, which may explain the dual support.