XBOX ONE Digital TV Tuner not recognized on Wetek Play

• Hi guys,

according to the Blogpost announcing the 8.2 release of LibreELEC, the XBOX ONE Digital TV Tuner should be recognized by LibreELEC. In fact, this does work on the RPi3, but not on the Wetek Play (AML 8726-MX).

On the Wetek Play the version I am using is LibreELEC (official): 8.2.0 (WeTek_Play.arm) while on the RPi3 it is LibreELEC (official): 8.2.0.1 (RPi2.arm).

I am not entirely sure anymore, but I believe that with the 8.1.2 BETA, the tuner was recognized on the Wetek Play as well.

Has anyone made the same experience and/or does anyone know what must be done to fix this?

Cheers,

chessplayer

• The 3.10 and 3.14 kernels used in current official releases for Amlogic devices (all releases since forever) do not contain the driver for the Xbox tuner so this will not work. I have updated the 8.2.0 release notes to make this clear. Community images provided by kszaq have media_build support and contain the driver, but I am not sure if he (or others) release anything for MX chipset devices. As a general rule the 3.10 kernel is simply too old for simple backporting of drivers so most community builders don't make the effort.

• Thanks for getting back to me on this. I fear that the Wetek-Play (with the old chipset) is the unloved child in the Amlogic family and none of the media builds seem to support it.

Too bad, since I believe I have found the perfect way to make use of the box. The problem with using it directly is that LiveTV playback soemtimes freezes for a second and playing around with buffering in the advanced settings can mitigate the problem, but not get rid of it. However, when I use the box as a backend for my Nvidia Shield (and as a recording device) , all the output problems disappaear.

Anyway, for the multi-tuner option I will just have to make use of my Sundtek-Sticks, of which I also own a sufficient number :angel:

• The two issues are kernel age and volume of devices. In dog/internet/linux years the 3.10 kernel is prehistoric and because it's missing so many now-fundamental structures it's too challenging to backport things. The 3.14 kernel is marginally easier, and unlike 3.10 there are a ton of devices using it, so community developers have made the effort.

NB: The second we have mainline kernel support for Amlogic devices, anything that cannot run mainline will have official support discontinued. The full scope of affected devices is not clear, but WP1 with the 8726MX chipset will definitely be dropped. Current ETA is post-Leia, so it should survive until the LE 9.0 release, although no promises.

• Ok, I'll keep checking and thanks for the heads up!

Cheers,

chessplayer

P.S.: The WP1 really has a lot of problems (no Wifi tethering (at least not working) and Live TV output with stuttering, which can only be mediated, but not completely avoided as far as I can tell). But it works fine as a backend for my Nvidia Shield and as a PVR, so I am not ready to throw it away yet ...