Stupid question about LibreELEC Auto Update

• I am on LE 8.1.1 Beta and keep getting update toasts/notifications for the new LE version but I have no idea how to trigger the update. I would call myself an advanced user but I have no clue how the auto update process is supposed to work. Even after a reboot I keep getting the notifications without the update actually happening. How do I trigger the update?

• First of all a user would need to understand that he needs to toogle from auto update to manual update. Check for available versions shows only if you switch from auto update to manual update. I think this is a terrible solution from a ux perspective especially since auto update is set as default since one of the recent LE versions.

Being a ux designer myself i can promise you that no user is going to understand this if he did not went through this process at least once before. ;)

There is no point in calling something "auto update" if you need to toggle from auto to manual to be able to update.

I am happy to assist in redesigning this flow i case you guys see the point and have the need for support.

• First of all a user would need to understand that he needs to toogle from auto update to manual update. Check for available versions shows only if you switch from auto update to manual update. I think this is a terrible solution from a ux perspective especially since auto update is set as default since one of the recent LE versions.

Being a ux designer myself i can promise you that no user is going to understand this if he did not went through this process at least once before. ;)

There is no point in calling something "auto update" if you need to toggle from auto to manual to be able to update.

I am happy to assist in redesigning this flow i case you guys see the point and have the need for support.

Seems pretty obvious to me. You want to update you system manually, so you switch to manual update. You want your system to auto update, you switch it to auto update.

No?

• Never happenend for me! I was on a fresh install of 8.1.1 beta and kept getting update notifications without the update to 8.1.2 ever taking place. Therefore the confusion. I was also expecting that LE gets updated automatically if set to auto.

• The auto update didn't work for me either. After more then a year it never auto updated it for me. So I'm glad I found this topic and now know how to do it (manually). I assumed I had to remove my micro SD card and put it my PC and use the software to 'update' it. This is such a convenience that you can do it from the OS itself.

I seem to remember that with OpenELEC you had to do it the way I just described, so even because the auto update doesn't work (for me) this is a huge step up for me. Thanks LibreELEC team! :)

• Same here, except getting no notification.

Update is set to auto, still staying at 9.2.0 (x86).

is there the possibility to trigger the check and/or auto update process (from cli)?

maybe GUI should have a simple “check now” button If it’s configured for auto update

• You can always update manually if you are anxious enough for the newest version.

Either by pressing the update button in the LibreELEC Settings Add-on,

or by placing the correct .tar file in the .update folder, and reboot.

I know,

but the question is not, how to work around, the question is: why it is not working and how could we (help to) fix this? Seems there are more users with the issue :(

LE automatic update broken

Raspberry Pi Update zu LibreELEC (Leia) 9.0.2 - Raspberry Pi - Kodinerds.net - Deutschsprachiges Forum zum Kodi Entertainment Center

best,

Meg

• Official Post

Publishing the release allows anybody to download it (manually) but making it available for auto-update is a separate step. If it's not done, eventually users complain and I normally go set things, but it's about time someone else learned the not-difficult proces - because they keep forgetting. Until then, I guess you all have to wait patiently.. or do a manual update.