Auto-switch to native video resolution

• Hello, I'm not sure if this need to be implemented on Kodi side but I'll just post it here since Kodi forum is down for a while now.

Currently if video resolution is greater than GUI resolution Kodi will automatically switch to that resolution, but not the other way around. Can we implement this feature?

For example, if I set GUI resolution to 1080p on a 4K TV and:

1. Play a 4K video, resolution will be switched to 4K.

2. Play a 1080p video, resolution stay at 1080p.

3. Play a 720p video, resolution stay at 1080p, video will be upscale to 1080p by Kodi.

In the third case, it creates extra load on hardware and I personally think the TV can do a better job at upscaling.

• There are no plans to have Kodi step down in resolution to 720p. Most (not all, but most) hardware does a decent enough job at upscaling.

• Me too.. native resolution pass-thru is feature I most would love to see.

While 480p and 720p content is playing just want it to switch to 480p and 720p respectively. Don't care about 1080 just these two would be awesome.

Using an Odriod-C2 amlogic upscaler isn't bad or anything... Yet very much noticeably inferior to X-Reality Pro chip in my set. DVDs especially look blurry in Kodi compared to same content bit-for-bit played from a player with native pass-thru which looks amazing for what it is... almost HD quality.

See a difference albit to a much lesser extent with 720p content playing same recorded content side-by-side between Tivo /w pass-thru resolution. Kodi is more blurry/aliased and seems to have less detail.