Cannot load Confluence and "forgetfull" Kodi 17.4 - Why?

• Hello all,

Been using KODI since the early XBMC and I find it the best media interface.

Since the beginning of the OpenELEC, I used it as preferred over RaspBMC.

Later on tried OSMC and it is still on use on my old Pi2 B

About 9 years now

Without much beating around the bush, wonder why the Confluence skin was made hard to get.

I rejected the initial change to Kodi 17 based on Estuary skin alone (focus on looks, lack on focus on multi-functionality - unlike Confluence) and only changed up since I found I could get Confluence.

Now I got my new i-NUC as HTPC (can do flawlessly x265 in 4K) and I decided to give LibreELEC a chance... but a flop.

Here are my findings:

1. KODI seems to forget the settings randomly (every 2-3 restarts the resolution falls back to 1080, audio pass through etc)

and

2. Confluence is supposedly there but I need to be a nerd level programmer to get close to Confluence (but no cigar).

1 seemed to be the issue with my Pi2B and OSMC at early stage but not in 17.3

2. is the issue *only* on the LibreELEC install (same Hardware works well with... *the drummer's version*, OSMC and earlier)

I could not get any other skin until I installed the only available "add-on skin" the Estouchy and now COnfluence appears from the Interface meny but complains of dependency and fails install.

I used LE tool to load install files (latest as today) onto USB and installed clean from there.

intel NUC6CAYH (J3455 + 8Gb + wifi/BT + 320Gb SATA HDD + 512Mb video) KOdi 17.04

I did search various keywords and not much info (bucketloads of Q's as mine though)

• I see a lot of text with basically one problem: Kodi seems to forget settings from time to time.

I also see that the first rule of submitting a problem has not been met: where is your debug enabled kodi.log file?

No kodi.log provided means nothing to investigate.

Lots of people have an opinion on Estuary, Kodi's new default skin. Which is fine, if you don't like the skin, choose a different one. Maybe your repositories need to be manually refreshed first, after which you should have access to all Kodi repository addons, including all skins with Confluence as well.

• Kodi repo > Look and feel > Skins > Confluence .. but the initial repo will need to complete first else the repo looks blank. If the initial check is done while network drivers are still loading - which happens on ultra-fast booting LE, it can fail. Force an update check in the GUI and everything will appear as normal. Kodi also has long-running issues with settings corruption at shutdown which causes sections or the entire file to be reverted on restart to clear the corrupted (or simply missing) config areas. This affects all OS and is not something LE specific although we know there are also some systemd issues with the shutdown process. Eventually we'll recruit someone who's an expert in systemd things; right now none of us are. If it works on OE and not LE we can assure you it's more by accident than design.

• @ Klojum,

A lot of word indeed. But it is a first post and I believe I should have introduced my self a bit.

I am sorry that it seems that the message got obscured by the words, in spite me using points 1. and 2.

I was looking for a general explanation.

@ chewitt

Thank you for the response and time you took to read "my" problem and make it "ours".

I did find Confluence as per your instructions.

"If the initial check is done while network drivers are still loading - which happens on ultra-fast booting LE..."

That is a very plausible explanation of the problems. I will remember that in the future

Anyway, now it is water under the bridge.

Thanks.

wrt the forgetfulness, that must be the issue that came with (or along with) Kodi 17 as it was not there before, in my experience. Thinking of it, there may have been an instance where there was a reset in earlier Kodi versions but the system would announce it and I would know what went on. My OSMC and OE used to be forgetful in early stages with 17 but OSMC seems to have corrected that after a few system updates - hence my presumption that underlying OS had input into the issue (and I reverted OE to V16 whilst the latest was v17.1) More to it, Kodi 17 on my work pc (WinLosedows 10) did not have this problem. Without trying to debate the problem any further, the forgetfulness seems to "engrave" itself after a number of restarts and re-setting.

"If it works on OE and not LE we can assure you it's more by accident than design"

I will not try OE again until the next HTPC (re)creation and by then the problem could be bygone.

Bottom line, chewitt, thank you.

LE will stay there as it was doomed for me if stuck in "Estuary"