Proper way to add a package to an image

• I'm tinkering with integrating a few packages into the image, and I'm trying to figure out what the proper way to add them to an image is. I've thus far followed to the

package guide on the Wiki, but short of making the top level package that I'd like to add a "false" dependency of some other essential system package I don't know how I should go about making sure the build image command actually inserts the binary.

Could I get some guidance here? I can't imagine this is the preferred way to make the insertion.

If anyone is feeling vocal/ambitious, I'd really be happy to get a more general overview of how the build system is working it's magic, and a qualitative description of what's being done behind the scenes in the build process. Where files are sourced, where changes should be made, and what shouldn't be touched unless needed, etc.

• One option is to make one new package with a name as your project name (like packages/Generic/package.mk). Then in this package add under PKG_DEPENDS_TARGET your packages you wish to include in image. And then build image with extra parameter OEM

PROJECT=... ARCH=... OEM=yes make image.

Adding addons to image is little trickier because addons needs to be enabled in package.mk after installing.

• The basic process is (as you've discovered) making the new package a dependency of something. There are multiple ways to do this and no right or wrong answer, although prior art establishes some conventions that depend on the type of package you're adding?