which file system for big files on external HDD?

• Hello forum,

I am using LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.arm-8.0.WRX-RB-Media_build.01 on an Ordroid C2. To record TV broadcasts I connected an USB-HD-drive (Intenso Memory Station 1 TB). The HDD is preformated with ntfs.

Is this file system ok for files > 20 GB or should I re-format it to a Linux specific file system?

Thanks for your hints

Fasterix

• I haven't try NTFS but I used to have all of my HDD formatted with ExFAT, big mistake. Any big transfer will bring the CPU down to its knee.

Frankly speaking my LibreELEC box have a Celeron (NUC6CAYH) but after switching all of them to ext4 I noticed a different in transfer speed and clearly noticable dropped in CPU usage.

This box have Sonarr/Radarr/Transmission/Emby/Kodi on it, believe it or not the lowly Celeron handle them all like a breeze, external storage is 4x6TB and there are 6 clients in my house, 2 of them very active, the box itself is connected to a TV which I watch anime episodes daily.

What a time to be alive, all of these in two small boxes consuming no more than 20W, most of the times my power meter indicated around 10W.

PS: Oops I'm a bit sidetracked here, my point is if you don't need Windows/MacOS compatible, just format it to a linux native filesystem.