7.0.2.009 build for S905/S905X

• Hi

I have a Wetek Hub with 7.90.008 installed to NAND which works fairly well but I'm also trying to run 7.0.2.009 from SD card. It sort of works but I don't believe I'm running with the correct hardware device tree. I put the hub's img file on the card during the install but during install it flashed up with a message about incorrect memory map (I'm not too sure of the exact wording). Would this be because I no longer have Android installed? Your build still installed but the Hub's remote doesn't work (not that that is a great loss!) but I'm also only getting 100mb network instead of Gb.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

JMP

• - With SPDIF Dolby TrueHD Atmos sound is converted to 2 channel sound but center is missing so I hear no dialogues. The AC3 passthrough isn't working correctly. My AVR can handle AC3 and DTS so I deactivated DTSHD and TrueHD in passthrough settings but I still have this bug.

Amlogic audio is sort of a mess at the moment. Add on top of that Kodi's incredibly convoluted audio system and you have a real dumpster fire. That being said, LE devs are making steady progress and I'm seeing improvements regularly.

My results are:
    - Without passthrough you can only get either stereo output or multichannel missing center and LFE. Kodi's Audio DSP won't help you.
    - With passthrough you CAN get all formats (including AAC encoded to DD 5.1!) if you hold your lips just right and the trade winds are favorable.

For now, learn to love stereo and Pro Logic.

- On brightness settings lower than 50 the whole screen is lighting up like in extreme gamma settings.

Same here on an x96 2/16 box. Extremely irritating but sorry to say I'm glad to finally see someone else reporting it as I was beginning to think I might have a hardware defect!

See this post. Look familiar? LibreELEC

• The Kodi built in functions appear to be broken in LE, I never could get to the bottom of it.

I use the following script for my TV. It creates two temporary files to track status. $file indicates whether the TV is on or off, $file2 indicates that the script is working as there is a several second delay for cec-client to do it's thing. $file2 prevents my impatient wife from pressing the button a million times and running the script over and over.

The script also sends a stop command to kodi and sends a notification when turning off the tv. I simply leave my LE box on all the time.

The script is called cecpower.sh and I call it from my keymap like this:

Code
    <key id="323664">system.exec(/storage/.kodi/userdata/cecpower.sh)</key>

The whole thing is quite a hack, but it works in my case.

Thanks!

It looks great. I try it and it power on perfect. When it doesn't power off.

I try this command:

Code
    echo "standby 0" | cec-client -s

It power off the TV and after a second it power on automatically in LE HDMI input. It looks like the TV notice that it is something in the HDMI and it power on again.

Is possible to send other command to power off completely?

Kind regards.

• It power off the TV and after a second it power on automatically in LE HDMI input. It looks like the TV notice that it is something in the HDMI and it power on again.

Is possible to send other command to power off completely?

Kind regards.

Play around with the CEC settings on your TV and turn off any options to automatically turn on (ie on source change, on device power, etc.)

Do similar in Kodi CEC settings if you are using that.

• Amlogic audio is sort of a mess at the moment. Add on top of that Kodi's incredibly convoluted audio system and you have a real dumpster fire. That being said, LE devs are making steady progress and I'm seeing improvements regularly.

My results are:
    - Without passthrough you can only get either stereo output or multichannel missing center and LFE. Kodi's Audio DSP won't help you.
    - With passthrough you CAN get all formats (including AAC encoded to DD 5.1!) if you hold your lips just right and the trade winds are favorable.

For now, learn to love stereo and Pro Logic.

Same here on an x96 2/16 box. Extremely irritating but sorry to say I'm glad to finally see someone else reporting it as I was beginning to think I might have a hardware defect!

See this post. Look familiar? LibreELEC

What's the trick for AAC and Passthrough as I'm having issues getting any sound. I changed the channels to 2.0 but then I just get stereo and obviously it's not ideal.

• What's the trick for AAC and Passthrough as I'm having issues getting any sound. I changed the channels to 2.0 but then I just get stereo and obviously it's not ideal.

Channels: 2.0
    Upmix: Off
    Passthrough: On
    AC3 Capable: On
    Enable DD AC3 transcoding: ON
    Other settings set to taste/AVR capability
    Pray
    Stand on one foot with a piece of aluminum foil in hand

This way I get a DD 5.1 signal at my AVR from all sources.

As a side note, I got a DTS signal once during the Today show. Since enabling transcoding I have never seen DTS again. I would think that Kodi would leave DTS alone and simply pass it through, but something is afoot. I would say check the Kodi wiki or docs, but no one seems to truly understand when transcoding occurs or doesn't. Good luck!

• Thank you for kszaq' good and hard working .
    im newer here ,but i m very sorry . i think ive made a mistake , i want to ask for a problem here ,but i click the
    'report' button . i think that will affect much . so sorry about that .
    any suggestion to cancel that ? thank you all friend .

• Hi, thank you all for the great work of porting to these cheap devices.

I have a M96X box (S905x 2g/8g) and I haven't found how to boot directly from usb. I connected to the rs232 header and used the u-boot console to boot libreelec.

Here are the commands I use:

# usb reset
    # fatload usb 0:1 0x1000000 dtb.img
    # fatload usb 0:1 0x1080000 kernel.img
    # setenv bootargs ${bootargs} bootfromusb
    # bootm

Everything boots and functions fine, but I cannot install to internal storage because /dev/system doesn't exist. What am I doing wrong?

Alternatively, is there a way to force the cpu to execute these commands on startup automatically so that it always boots from the usb drive?

Thanks

EDIT: for anyone wondering, if you want the box to always boot from usb, you can set the u-boot bootcmd envvar to boot from usb automatically without the need for recovery:

# setenv bootcmd "usb reset;fatload usb 0:1 0x1000000 dtb.img;fatload usb 0:1 0x1080000 kernel.img;setenv bootargs rootfstype=ramfs init=/init console=ttyS0,115200 no_console_suspend earlyprintk=aml-uart,0xc81004c0 ramoops.pstore_en=1 ramoops.record_size=0x8000 ramoops.console_size=0x4000 androidboot.selinux=enforcing logo=osd1,loaded,0x3d800000,1080p60hz maxcpus=4 vout=1080p60hz,enable hdmimode=1080p60hz cvbsmode=576cvbs hdmitx= cvbsdrv=0 bootfromusb;bootm"
    # saveenv

just make sure the dtb and kernel address are ok and edit the bootargs to your liking and the box will always boot from usb 0:1

Edited once, last by camso (December 5, 2016 at 6:39 PM).

• Everything boots and functions fine, but I cannot install to internal storage because /dev/system doesn't exist. What am I doing wrong?

Incorrect device tree? No driver for internal memory variant? Hard to guess, so far there has not been a report of not working internal storage.

Alternatively, is there a way to force the cpu to execute these commands on startup automatically so that it always boots from the usb drive?

That's what aml_autoscript does when you press recovery button: it executes commands to replace boot command. You can execute the part that you need manually over console: LibreELEC.tv/aml_autoscript.src at libreelec-7.0 · kszaq/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

• Incorrect device tree? No driver for internal memory variant? Hard to guess, so far there has not been a report of not working internal storage.

That's what aml_autoscript does when you press recovery button: it executes commands to replace boot command. You can execute the part that you need manually over console: LibreELEC.tv/aml_autoscript.src at libreelec-7.0 · kszaq/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

The M96X doesn't have a recovery button, that's why I had to use the rs232 interface to boot in the first place... Installing to nand would probably be simplest if I can get /dev/system to show up. I'll try a different device tree file and see what happens.

Thanks

Edit: After trying a few dtb images, and still not seeing any /dev/system (or /dev/boot, etc) I'm starting to wonder if the internal flash is formatted properly and if the partitions are where they should be. Is there any way to reformat the internal flash properly from u-boot?

Edited once, last by camso (December 5, 2016 at 7:56 AM).

• My first S905X Chip box arrived today and here is the drama i had to get LE on SD Card to work.

TX5 PRO Amlogic S905X 2GB+16GB

1. Toothpick method: disconnect the power supply, insert card/drive, use a toothpick to push reset button and connect the power while holding the button. Wait until LibreELEC logo appears and release the button. Used With and Without Device tree.
    Failed with just the boot animation and no further.

2. Recovery method: boot into Android, insert card/thumb drive and choose Reboot to recovery.(Had to use an APP)
    Your box should boot into LibreELEC.
    Failed same result as above.

3. Factory recovery method : Tried to boot into recovery without any SD Card inserted.
    This box just displays the boot animation and stays there. Failed same result as above.
    It is a bit of a worry this box does not go into recovery using the toothpick method.
    I haven’t tried TWRP Recovery as this box has a working OTA (Shock Horror)

4. Recovery method (take 2nd variant): if you have "Update" app pre-installed open it, insert SD card with LE/connect USB drive, and choose any ZIP file in the app for update. Your box should reboot to LE.
    This method "Worked"

Please be aware that you cannot just put the Fake ZIP on the SD Card that has LE on it and UPDATE via the Update App.
    Something is not right regarding update using normal recovery methods i have used in the past with S905 Chip.

EDIT: UPDATED TO LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20161202213923-r23473-g8a53869.img , No issue updating.

Edited once, last by kostaman (December 5, 2016 at 11:49 PM).

• Hi kostaman, thanks for your precise description. For what I remember (I don't have that box), that box should boot to LE "in a normal way" like toothpick method only if Android version is <= 05082016. Recent firmwares locked the ability to boot with toothpick method:) so I've seen someone that suggested to downgrade to that firmware version. But actually you have found a workaround for this ;) thanks

• Hi kostaman, thanks for your precise description. For what I remember (I don't have that box), that box should boot to LE "in a normal way" like toothpick method only if Android version is <= 05082016. Recent firmwares locked the ability to boot with toothpick method:exclamation: so I've seen someone that suggested to downgrade to that firmware version. But actually you have found a workaround for this :rolleyes: thanks

I just checked my firmware version : 26th October 2016. Android 6.0.1
    I will have a play with this box when i have some time.
    kszaq might shed some light on what they have done to block search for recovery when trying to use toothpick method.
    My concern is what will happen if i install LE to internal and then want to go to recovery ?
    It seems the only way i can get there at the moment is with Android UPDATE App and a Fake ZIP from USB Stick.
    No idea what i'd use after LE is installed internally, to get into recovery ?
    Unless i downgrade Android which is not something i want to do.
    Thank you for the feedback anthontex. I'm sure this issue will arise again with another member. :idea: