LE 7.90.007 - tearing during video playback

• I am running LibreELEC v7.90.007 ALPHA on an AMD E2-2000 APU with Radeon GPU attached to a Philips TV set via HDMI. Since the last upgrade (from v7.90.005 to v7.90.007) I see tearing during video playback (HD and SD material) and on the user interface as well. I played around with the configuration options "Adjust display refresh rate" and "Sync playback to display" but it did not make a difference.

It seems that "VSync" has been disabled in this release. Is there a way to turn it back on?

I have not seen tearing with Kodi v17 beta 3 on a Windows 10 PC. Therefore I assume it is a LibreELEC issue.

• It seems the problem is the 2D hardware acceleration of the video driver. Since alpha 7 LibreElec uses Glamor. I downgraded to alpha 6 which still uses EXA and the tearing is gone. Alternatively it should be possible to change /etc/X11/xorg_radeon.conf to use EXA in alpha 7, but I have not tried that.

• It seems the problem is the 2D hardware acceleration of the video driver. Since alpha 7 LibreElec uses Glamor. I downgraded to alpha 6 which still uses EXA and the tearing is gone. Alternatively it should be possible to change /etc/X11/xorg_radeon.conf to use EXA in alpha 7, but I have not tried that.

Yes, that is the problem. I have change the configuration bak to EXA and the tearing is gone :)
    I have an E350 with LibreElec 7.90.007

Edited once, last by PeterPan (October 29, 2016 at 9:41 PM).

• Yes, that is the problem. I have change the configuratopn bak to EXA and the tearing is gone :)
    I habe an E350 with LibreElec 7.90.007

How did you do that? I have the same issue, but when I try to edit the xorg_radeon.conf file, it is read only.
    Could you please tell me the steps how did you edit it? Thanks!

• Yes, that is the problem. I have change the configuratopn bak to EXA and the tearing is gone :)
    I habe an E350 with LibreElec 7.90.007

I have the same exact setup and having this tearing issues primarily on top of the picture, it awful. I'm trying to edit "xorg-radeon.conf" file trough sftp but I just cant edit, delete, overwrite the file. I'm logged as user: root--->>pass: libreelec. This is the log errors - any ides why cant to this basic actions?

• What exactly needs to be changed to use EXA?

/edit:
    Should we change this: Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
    to this: Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"

Code
    ~/.config # more xorg.conf
    Section "Device"
            Identifier  "AMD Graphics"
            Driver      "radeon"
            Option      "DRI3"        "1"
            Option      "AccelMethod" "glamor"
    Endsection

Edited once, last by schumi2004 (November 27, 2016 at 1:40 PM).

• Just tested this but picture quality just get worse, even more tearing.
    How should this EXA be enabled properly?

Can't i just export current xorg configuration and use that?

I tried the following but it returns an error, will try again when box is free of users.

/edit:
    I reverted this commit to see how it works

xf86-video-ati: add xorg-radeon.conf to enable dri3 and glamor · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv@ca11388 · GitHub

Edited once, last by schumi2004 (November 28, 2016 at 5:34 PM).

• Does any one have also a similar problem with an nvidia graphic card? I have a GeForce 9300M GS with an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600.
    I am running LE 7.90.008 and the tearing is awful in HD videos. Before I had the stable 7.0.2 without any tearing in any videos.

As there is no glamor acceleration option in the nvidia or nvidia legacy config file, the problem might be totally different but the effect you describe
    seam to be the same.

I will check it in the following beta and will open a new threat if the problem still exist. It's is probably unrelated.
    (Without any hardware acceleration it works fine.)

Edited once, last by valmadiaz (December 3, 2016 at 9:56 AM).

• I also experienced screen tearing in the latest beta.

I solved it with the following xorg.conf (in /storage/.config/).

Code
    Section "Device"
            Identifier  "AMD Graphics" 
            Driver      "radeon"
            Option      "DRI3"        "1"
            Option      "AccelMethod" "EXA"
            Option      "EXAVSync" "yes"
    Endsection

Edited once, last by lesydimitri (December 13, 2016 at 1:05 PM).

• I also experienced screen tearing in the latest beta.

I solved it with the following xorg.conf (in /storage/.config/).

Code
    Section "Device"
            Identifier  "AMD Graphics" 
            Driver      "radeon"
            Option      "DRI3"        "1"
            Option      "AccelMethod" "EXA"
            Option      "EXAVSync" "yes"
    Endsection

Thanks for your config, i missed Option "EXAVSync" "yes" maybe that's why it only got worse.
    Will do another attempt when new releases is published. Currently i just removed the patch responsable for this and compiled a new build and this resolved it also.